Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Converting region 1 dvd to region 2

Can't help feeling some of you will know the answer!
I've bought a region 1 dvd (old Pinter film, only region 1 available).
I'm told that there is a way to convert the disc so that it will play on our DVD player. There are sound problems if we play it via the computer (in a different room) and I'm idiot grade at this type of thing. Would prefer to convert the disc. Can anyone help please?

Comments

• Options
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html
    this will make anything region free
    http://www.dvd43.com/ you will need this too

Found this info on Yahoo answers. Its free, so give it a go and hope it helps!
  • Options
    not sure what the above links point to as i'm on my iPhone - however it's probably easiest to convert your DVD player to be region free then you have no problems at all.

google the make and model number and then region free or unlock - "Sony dx315h region free" and you should get some links come up - you can trust pretty much anything from www.avforums.co.uk as the folks on there are really clued up and helpful so if they give you an answer then you should be fine!

In case you are worried its usually a case of entering a few keys on your remote control to access a hidden menu and so what you are doing should not cause any damage to your player
  • Options
    ps - if that works you can get mea Lucozade for the next home game for my fee

:-)
  • Options
    All DVD player have exactly the same settings but are factory set according to the region they are sold in, you can google how to change the settings quite easily so that your DVD player becomes region free (it's a bit like unlocking your mobile)...

This only takes seconds whereas changing it via computer is quite complicated and time consuming...

What make is your DVD player...?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    some not all DVD players can be hacked to change the region fairly easily, and some to make them multi region. I believe amazon did used to sell multiregion players if they don't still..

alternatively you can rip a dvd using software and some will remove the region specific stuff, although there might be an issue with PAL vs NTSC depending on whether your TV is capable - however you may lose some quality as blank dvds won't take as much info as a mass produced dvd (e.g. dvd ripped could be as much as 6gig, a recordable will only take 3-4gig), therefore once you burn it to a new dvd it will be compressed and the quality may be less.

You can get around this issue by using an ISO player, which will mount a (virtual) dvd .iso image like a dvd drive on your PC and retain the quality, this can then be played in any dvd software on the machine.

I use ANYDVD (costs but worth it if you are doing this a lot, also works with blu ray - free software I found often hits snags and security copyright encoding); and Virtual Clone drive (free), for these purposes
  • Options
    It's less important to convert the regions, buy a multi region player. Philips make a decent one for £35 that does it beautifully and has component connectors too.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Looked at the forums and read comments, way out my depth here - I am seriously crap at this stuff. Nevertheless, I appreciate all the help offered. I'll add you all to my Xmas mince pie list! Someone in local computer shop (Gills supporter) has offered to sort out the disc for me. Seems the safest option for someone like me.
  • Options
    that's a good point, if you struggle with it let me know
  • Options
    the cheaper the DVD player the more likely it is to be region free - bizarre but true
  • Options
    You beauties. Remembered that we had an oldish cheap but serviceable DVD player in the attic, bingo!! Loads of mince pies to be made. Thank you all so very much.