Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I player tv license ? help

being a completer non tech person can anymore help

the daughter off at uni has got a letter asking her to get a tv license for her room.......im not sure if they send the letters round robin or will she need one to watch catch up tv on her laptop
i guess if she uses the uni sever they can tell if she watches tv on her laptop...........cant get my head around do u need one if you watch on hot spots in bars etc..........she rang me confused and im just as .so hope lifers can help cheers

Comments

• Options
    She will need one if she is watching live TV. If she is using catch-up then she will not need one.
  • Options
    she only watches catch up tv not live so guess she may not need it .good
  • Options
    I don't imagine they used any kind of clever tech stuff. Guess they probably send one to everyone.
  • Options
    http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/about_iplayer/tvlicence

You do not need a television licence to catch-up on television programmes in BBC iPlayer, only when you watch or record at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is being broadcast or otherwise distributed to the public. In BBC iPlayer, this is through the Watch Live simulcast option.
  • Options
    Yeh, we got 6 through our door, straight into the recyling...
  • Options
    Never brought a TV Licence at uni and never got caught. Some people did buy a licence yet still got letters through the post asking to buy one ASAP.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Never brought a TV Licence at uni and never got caught. Some people did buy a licence yet still got letters through the post asking to buy one ASAP.

It's always complicated at uni by shared living areas and kitchens. In my halls I could go through the front door and walk into one of 20 odd kitchens.
  • Options
    You do not need a tv licence to watch i player...... as it is delayed..... that is at present. however today Tuesday the bbc trust is discussing the i player.

Would not be surprised if there is a change of policy on this.......Quite how you would catch someone on a laptop walking around a uni if you think about it....

Probably got MI6 on it now with the spy satellites.....if there is a licence/tax to be collected it will be.......
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]being a completer non tech person can anymore help

the daughter off at uni has got a letter asking her to get a tv license for her room.......im not sure if they send the letters round robin or will she need one to watch catch up tv on her laptop
    i guess if she uses the uni sever they can tell if she watches tv on her laptop...........cant get my head around do u need one if you watch on hot spots in bars etc..........she rang me confused and im just as .so hope lifers can help cheers

uni server? do you mean their internet connection?

Is she in halls or a shared house?

if so have the uni said they monitor this, what is the usage policy?

If in doubt speak to her student union people who will give you the lowdown.

Either way as already mentioned it doesn't apply, but might be useful to know if she has a tv too