Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flowered Up frontman dead

edited October 2009 in Not Sports Related
Liam Maher from Flowered Up has passed away

Anyone into their music early 90's would remember flowered up , a band who could've been pretty big but they didn't really help themselves when they committed commercial suicide by releasing a the single weekender which had a video that was about 14 minutes long.

Saw them a couple of years ago when they reformed , very sad news

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Saw em at Brighton Uni and it all ended in a huge punch up!

Very sad, he was last seen selling gear around Brixton so he was on the DL but very sad none the less.

'Weekender' is a classic, which was a surprise for a supposed joke band.
  • Options
    Where did you hear that, Buckshee? I'd do his obit for The Times but I can't get any confirmation of your sad news at present...
  • Options
    Nigel it comes via Heavenly

gonna announce a bit more on it tomorrow on their website tomorrow

falconwood Iast saw them when they reformed about 5 years ago at the dome in tufnell park which also ended in a mass punch up

by the was falconwood did you get my whispered message?
  • Options
    Thanks, Buckshee. I'll give my old friend Jeff Barrett a ring at Heavenly and ask him for the sad details.
  • Options
    No mate I never

Sonya :0(
  • Options
    Saw them at the first ever Madness reunion in Finsbury Park, with Morrissey and Ian Dury. I think it was 1992.
  • Options
    I'm scratching my head here, I don't think I ever saw the, live - I was very much into that whole "baggy" scene in the late 80s/early 90s - but i lived up in Manchester at the time & Flowered Up were seen as a London band in a predominantly Northern scene.

Still Weekender was a great track, the video even better - kind of predated the Spaced/Peep Show style of filming by a good few years.
  • Options
    the girl in the video (Anna Haigh) had many male admirers and was in a band called boca juniors and the guy was a lad called lee whitlock more well known as Stanley in the wartime drama from the 80's "shine on harvey moon"

They were one of those bands whose gigs were always shall we say , eventful.
  • Options
    http://rapidshare.com/files/122547979/Flowered_Up_live_1990.rar

Flowered Up - Live 19th September 1990

1. Sunshine
    2. Hysterically Blue
    3. Silver Pan
    4. Phobia
    5. Take It
    6. Doris Is A Little Bit Partial
  • Options
    Saw them at Brixton Academy around 90/91 and at get loaded in the park about 4 years ago. Not the greatest band ever but weekender's a classic (the video's great)

Quetion: What was the name of the guy who dressed up as a flower on stage?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That would be Barry mooncult

I was in the old paradise bar djing between bands about 8 years ago and he was stood at the bar , was made up that I recognised him even without the flower