Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our ground to be used for Training in the WC

edited October 2009 in General Charlton
Just read on the OS that the Valley would be used for Training only for Englands 2018 WC bid surely we should have a game there its better than some preimership clubs ground i can think of. Facility wise and atmos i would say anyway.

Comments

• Options
    not big enough
  • Options
    Really but again its bigger than sum prem grounds is it not?
  • Options
    it is smaller than a lot too, In London you have Wembley, Chelsea, West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal all bigger
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Really but again its bigger than sum prem grounds is it not?

And they won't be used either.

I think you need 40k+ for the world cup. FIFA also don't want to use more than two stadiums in one city so after Wembley that leave one place for London.

Arsenal is bigger, more central and has better facilities.
  • Options
    Yea fair comment henry i diddnt know that so yea you got Wemberley then i think you right the emirates is a very nice stadium we cant really compete with that.
  • Options
    We'll be playing at the AEG Arena up by the O2 by then of course but the 50k capacity will still be less than Arsenal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]We'll be playing at the AEG Arena up by the O2 by then of course but the 50k capacity will still be less than Arsenal.

Have you just read that on the OS?
  • Options
    There is also The Olympic Stadium making our facilities geographically perfect for training
  • Options
    Well hopefully by then we will have won league 1, next season win the Championship, next season win the prem, next season win the Champions league then ultimatly be the biggest club in the world and build our own version of Camp nou in SE7 :-) aaahhhh i live in hope.
  • Options
    Got a feeling we won't win the bid, there is no compelling reason to come to England
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]there is no compelling reason to come to England

tell that to the chaps camping in normandy and they won't believe you.
  • Options
    I think most of you seemed to have missed the point. It won't be used as a world cup venue, it will be used as a training ground, i.e. teams that have qualified for the world cup will each be given a stadium to use for training purposes and these training sessions will be open to the public.

Therefore the valley is ideal, can easily handle the number of fans who will turn out to watch a team train, has good transport links for fans and teams alike, has the gym, etc. at the ground.

The actual venues (wembley, maybe emirates, etc. won't be used as training grounds, they'll be reserved for the actual games).

However I imagine the valley will be in competition with every other non-venue ground. However I'm not sure every club will actually bid for it, plus I would have thought they'll be certain criteria applied (i.e. must have a gym on site, etc.) so that will discount some grounds.
  • Options
    There isn't a gym at the Valley
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Just read on the OS that the Valley would be used for Training only for Englands 2018 WC bid surely we should have a game there its better than some preimership clubs ground i can think of. Facility wise and atmos i would say anyway.

Could be used - not will be used let's wait until England wins the bid first. Once we get past that little hurdle then Charlton along with several dozen other grounds will be competing with a lot of other clubs, plus presumably the likes of the Millennium Stadium and Twickenham etc to be a training ground for one of the finalists. All in all a bit of a non-story until England win the bid.