Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Highlights Programme

edited October 2009 in General Charlton
If you didn't blink you might have seen us but what I am wondering is whether Lizzy is a Charlton fan or not?

She said she was at the Gillingham game today and last week she said she was at the Huddersfield match.

Comments

• Options
    absolute toilet programme
  • Options
    I saw me and Swisdom :D
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]absolute toilet programme[/quote]

The format isn't great, however, it does what it sas on the tin and shows all of the football league goals.....

Was much better without Steve Claridge.
  • Options
    Even the BBC are joining in with the myth that we stole fans from kent.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]Even the BBC are joining in with the myth that we stole fans from kent.

It's not a myth though is it? Charlton actively marketed and promoted the coach service with a view to bringing in existing supporters and also with an aim to attract new supporters. I can't personally see a lot wrong with that to be honest. It's a bit odd that some of you find this so hard to admit.

However Scally is as usual missing the point, there are far more people in Kent who support Man Utd, Liverpool,Arsenal,Chelsea and West Ham than Charlton Supporters..........perhaps he should attack Sky for broadcasting in the County.........or maybe he could stop being as boss eyed as Nookie Bear and look at perhaps what he has done wrong at Gillingham.
  • Options
    "Stole" fans SoS?
  • Options
    Yes it is a myth. There was no stealing of fans. There is absolutely no way I would support Gillingham with or without VE and I don't know anyone else on the coach who would. VE merely gave myself and others an easy way to get to Charlton.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]"Stole" fans SoS?

It's an emotive term "stole" and I doubt many switched teams. But a better description would be 'actively cultivated support'.

Like I say i don't particularly have a problem with this, I think you have more of a problem admitting it.
  • Options
    Why didn't tango man try it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]Even the BBC are joining in with the myth that we stole fans from kent.

You should see the biased coverage on BBC South East - They seem to be disappearing right up Penfold's behind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    She would have been there working. They are all assigned games for five live and web up dates. Female sports journo = third tier responsibility.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The BBC steal off me every year for the license fee and I still can't work what the f@@k I am paying for these day's given that most of their output is substandard Itv lite style crap. It's time a decent government swept the BBC's legal right to pick peoples pockets.
    As for Gillingham and their boss eyed grunt of a Chairperson, they are nothing, mean nothing to us and this year has been a bit of a Cinderella going to the ball regarding us playing them. We will soon leave them in the backwaters to which they are already accustomed.
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with us having tapped into the Kent area for support/re-stimulate support given how many people in the South East part of London have moved to Kent over the last half a century.I live in Surrey but I don't hear any chairman of the local non-league clubs hitting out at Chelsea who seem to have many extra thousand fans swanning around the local shopping centre's whilst Chelsea are playing (give most of them a map of London and they would not even be able to find Chelsea even if you sugar coated every clue!). Scally is a piss brained moron who would rather hit out at others and create false rivalry (how many Charlton fan's give a toss for Gillingham??) than focus on the total lack of anything done by himself during his time at the club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Why didn't tango man try it?

How long have you got!! Lack of vision would be one thing!

Also let's be honest CAFC used the premier league finances very well when it came to building the support base, CAFC had a six figure budget for such activities.

At some point the people reading this thread will cotton on that I am not digging CAFC out for this, far from it.And Scally is a knob. I just don't get why you are all so sensitive about a scheme of building support that actually worked!!
  • Options
    Palace were a Premiership club too though...
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sure Charlton actively markets itself in Kent. That's not stealing, is it? The club (somewhat bizarrely in my opinion) has also marketed itself in New Zealand, Africa, USA and Spain. But I've never heard Barca's chairman complaining.

The thing is, SoS, you just can't go around "stealing" other clubs fans. Not because it is somehow immoral, but because it just can't be done. No Gills fan is going to start supporting Charlton just because there's a bus service or because their kid's scout group has got a few complimentaries. You know that, I know that and deep down even Mr Scallywag knows that. Just think about yourself for a moment. What would it take to stop you from supporting Palace and switching to another team? I don't know, but I would suspect it would suspect that if it were possible at all, it would take a hell of a lot. Certainly more than a discouted bus service. Charlton's marketing in the Kent region has two aims, to get migrant Charlton fans returning to The Valley regularly and to try and encourage neutrals to follow us. The day that we start advertising in the Gills matchday programme or running price comparison adverts like ASDA, is the day that I'll believe we're trying to steal their fans, but it just ain't gonna happen, is it? Football fans are the most loyal "customers" in the world, they can't be made to switch allegance like that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]"Stole" fans SoS?

It's an emotive term "stole" and I doubt many switched teams. But a better description would be 'actively cultivated support'.

Like I say i don't particularly have a problem with this, I think you have more of a problem admitting it.

No we don't have aproblem admitting we 'gleaned' fans from Kent many of whom had moved out of SE London over the years and were always followers of The Mighty Addicks!...however we don't agree that we 'stole' them, what a bollox suggestion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]The BBC steal off me every year for the license fee and I still can't work what the f@@k I am paying for these day's given that most of their output is substandard Itv lite style crap.

Don't see ITV making -

Life,
    Have I got News for you,
    Top Gear,
    Autumn Watch,
    The Thick of it,
    Electric Proms,
    The Proms,
    Storyville,
    Panorama,
    Meerkat Manor,
    An Island Parish,
    The Apprentice,
    Horizon,
    Later...with Jools Holland,
    Newsnight,
    7 National radio stations,
    local radio,
    the best News website in the country,
    Iplayer streaming .........

Auntie may have her faults, but the quality is definitely still there, IF you want to watch it.

Agree that they have chased ratings with stuff like Strictly and Eastenders. But there is such a diverse amount of programming available.

Have you seen Public Broadcasting in other countries. It isn't a patch on what the BBC do.

Trust me, you'll miss it when it's gone.

We may not like the Football League show and the lazy journalism of BBC South East. But I willingly pay the licence fee to get the rest of the output.
  • Options
    er yeah for a season........and like i said lack of vision...........if you are looking for me to spring to the defence of jordan, you will have bloody long wait.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Why didn't tango man try it?

How long have you got!! Lack of vision would be one thing!

Also let's be honest CAFC used the premier league finances very well when it came to building the support base, CAFC had a six figure budget for such activities.

At some point the people reading this thread will cotton on that I am not digging CAFC out for this, far from it.And Scally is a knob. I just don't get why you are all so sensitive about a scheme of building support that actually worked!!

To be honest I totally agree with you SOS, I think Charlton hit upon a decent Idea and did it well. Given that the club lost a generation of support during the exile then it seemed a rather sensible thing to do IMO. The thoughts of a bitter little twat who couldn't afford to buy Millwall and bought a pound shop knock off are rather unimportant.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]er yeah for a season........and like i said lack of vision...........if you are looking for me to spring to the defence of jordan, you will have bloody long wait.

I Like !!
    ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Sorry BDL but I can honestly say I don't really care for the lions share of the list you have put up, just a matter of personal taste I'm sure (though I agree mostly with the radio stations which are decent) I think that it's day's of decent sitcoms and quality drama that doesn't involve rehashing yet another Bronte novel are sadly in a past that it trades off (rather well to be fair).
  • Options
    The female presenter is a Palace fan according to a thread on here a couple of weeks ago
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Sorry BDL but I can honestly say I don't really care for the lions share of the list you have put up, just a matter of personal taste I'm sure (though I agree mostly with the radio stations which are decent) I think that it's day's of decent sitcoms and quality drama that doesn't involve rehashing yet another Bronte novel are sadly in a past that it trades off (rather well to be fair).

Exactly, it's down to our individual taste. I can't stand the Bronte/Dickens remakes as well, but loved Life on Mars - You can't say that wasn't original can you?.
  • Options
    I thought it was ok but to be honest it rather seemed like someone wanted to make The Sweeney for a modern audience and add a bit of time travel to the mix (just an opinion of course). I can watch ITV4 and see the real Sweeney which is as gritty and daring a show as ever there was. I take your points BDL and don't think I havent considered them but for the last ten years I can honestly say that I have watched very little of the beebs output and thus I don't think I should be forced to pay for it. It would be better as a subscription service which would then stand or fall on the quality of it's output. Some people think it's great and would have no problem with that, others would say no and that would be fine too. To have a choice would be a nice thing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]The female presenter is a Palace fan according to a thread on here a couple of weeks ago

Yes - and I thought that came across fairly loudly and clearly in her reading out and agreeing with an email from a Jills fan saying they should have won.
  • Options
    Radio 4 is worth my licence fee on its own. Top quality programming without the commercials. Worth every penny.
  • Options
    "At some point the people reading this thread will cotton on that I am not digging CAFC out for this, far from it.And Scally is a knob. I just don't get why you are all so sensitive about a scheme of building support that actually worked!!"

SOS, we're not sensitive about the scheme itself; more proud of it, and delighted that we're still reaping the benefits. What grates is the criticism (by the likes of Scally) of what you generously acknowledge was a clever, long-sighted initiative. Perhaps the odd Renault Espace-full from Purley would bump the attendances at Selhurst!
  • Options
    Pilchard

You have made my week with that description of Scally as a boss eyed grunt.

I'm still laughing now, good work fella
  • Options
    Down here in Oggyland, no Argyle chairman has yet complained about Charlton stealing a supporter (me !) from the Plymouth heartlands.........

It must be a Jills thing.

;o)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Is there a 24/7 Countdown channel? Thats worth the licence fee.