Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Exclusive: Crystal Palace and Charlton in battle for David Gold

edited October 2009 in General Charlton
At first I didn't want Gold to takeover at the Valley, but I would be gutted if he took over Palarse. I understand why he would go for us , low debt, location, general health of the club. Wet Spam, he used to play there, in the premiership but they have huge debts, but what about Palarse I cannot see any reason why someone would invest in that dump.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE7 Expat[/cite]At first I didn't want Gold to takeover at the Valley, but I would be gutted if he took over Palarse. I understand why he would go for us , low debt, location, general health of the club. Wet Spam, he used to play there, in the premiership but they have huge debts, but what about Palarse I cannot see any reason why someone would invest in that dump.
    It's not really low-debt though is it. We're pretty massive debt (depending on how much of thier loans the directors want to recoup). I strongly suspect that this question has been the main issue that has prevented a number of near takeovers from happening.
  • Options
    They have big crowd potential. A successful team and a different approach from their board could easily see them attract crowds of 30,000+ in the Premier League (if their ground was big enough of course).
  • Options
    CHARLTON and Crystal Palace are set to go head-to-head - as they try to tempt David Gold into mounting a takeover bid.

The South London Press understands that the former Birmingham chairman, who recently sold the Premier League club to Carson Yeung, sees both teams as attractive propositions.

But Gold, credited with a £300million fortune in the Sunday Times’ 2009 Rich List, is also interested in West Ham. He was born in Stepney and played for the Hammers at youth team level - only moving to the Midlands when the Blitz started.

A source close to the 72-year-old businessman, who lives in Surrey, said: “Everyone knows David wants to come back to football.

“You could name half a dozen clubs because he has been bombarded with calls already. It’s not just his money - people want someone with his experience because he helped get Birmingham into the Premier League on three occasions.

“Crystal Palace, Charlton and West Ham are all nearby and each is exciting in their own way and brings different challenges and opportunities."

Don't miss today's South London Press for the full story.

So a South London Paper runs a story with no named sources cobbled together from reports that having been going around for weeks but gives it a local angle.

Not really an exclusive apart from there are the ones who made it up.
  • Options
    Gold and Jordan don't get on do they?
  • Options
    Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan told The Guardian. “If I see another David Gold interview on the poor East End Jewish boy done good, I’ll impale myself on one of his dildos.”
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Gold and Jordan don't get on do they?
    There was a big broohaha around Steve Bruce's defection
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan told The Guardian. “If I see another David Gold interview on the poor East End Jewish boy done good, I’ll impale myself on one of his dildos.”
    "Hello? Is that Mr Gold? I really, really want to do an interview with you, to give you the chance to set out your story. You know, to give you the opportunity to talk about your background, where you are from and how successful you've been... Where do I want to publish it? Oh, any newspaper that gets circulated around SE25..."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]CHARLTON and Crystal Palace are set to go head-to-head - as they try to tempt David Gold into mounting a takeover bid.

The[span]South London Press[/span][span]understands[/span]that the former Birmingham chairman, who recently sold the Premier League club to Carson Yeung, sees both teams as attractive propositions.

But Gold, credited with a £300million fortune in the Sunday Times’ 2009 Rich List, is also[span]interested in West Ham[/span]. He was born in Stepney and played for the Hammers at youth team level - only moving to the Midlands when the Blitz started.

A[span]source close[/span]to the 72-year-old businessman, who lives in Surrey, said: “Everyone knows David wants to come back to football.

“You[span]could name half a dozen clubs[/span]because he has been bombarded with calls already. It’s not just his money - people want someone with his experience because he helped get Birmingham into the Premier League on three occasions.

“Crystal Palace, Charlton and West Ham are all nearby and each is exciting in their own way and brings different challenges and opportunities."

Don't miss today's South London Press for the full story.

So a South London Paper runs a story with no named sources cobbled together from reports that having been going around for weeks but gives it a local angle.

Not really an exclusive apart from there are the ones who made it up.
    therefore what you mean is that posting something from SLT is pointless as its all made up unlike all the other posts from the Scum. I was merely trying to inform people of news (or made up crap) that I saw on the net and thought it would be interesting to see what other posters say,
  • Options
    Slow down Ex-pat, did I have a go at you? Did I say it wasn't of interest? Did I say you shouldn't have posted it. No, no and no.

I was giving my opinion that it is a weak piece of work by the SLP, not you, badly sourced and in no real sense exclusive.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
  • Options
    Sorry mate, didn't want to seem like I was bitching just thought you were tired of 'em SLT post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE7 Expat[/cite]Sorry mate, didn't want to seem like I was bitching just thought you were tired of 'em SLT post.

No problem.

I do think the SLP prints a lot of bollox but that can be said of many newspapers. Just don't think fans should place too much faith on what the SLP says especially when the article doesn't back up the headline.
  • Options
    Pal@rse and Gold, what a match made in heaven. Perhaps Gold has got the inside info on a huge orange dildo mincing around South Norwood and wants to add it to his catalogue !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: soapy_jones[/cite]Pal@rse and Gold, what a match made in heaven. Perhaps Gold has got the inside info on a huge orange dildo mincing around South Norwood and wants to add it to his catalogue !

PMSL
  • Options
    Gold is 72 years old....so not a lot of time left on this mortal coil.....so if he was to buy Charlton what would happen when the grim reaper gives him a call, would he leave all is money to Charlton?
  • Options
    It would seem that the South London Press have Richard Cawley in the Palace corner while we have our own John Stanton at SLP. Our JS first reported the interest of David Gold as a possible take over of our club (which was intimated as being a reliable source) which unfortunately was quickly followed by a rather tentative piece from RC stating that David Gold could also be interested in Palace. Either this was a panicked response to appease the Palace fans or a way of driving down the value of our own club. It seems Palace are clinging on to the hope that he might buy them despite the fact that they have serious debts, do not own their ground or training ground and are owned by Gold's arch enemy, Simon Jordan. If I had the money, I would definately buy Charlton.
  • Options
    If I was Gold, I'd just buy Selhurst and whack the rent up.
  • Options
    If I was Gold, I'd buy selhurst and whack up a housing estate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]If I was Gold, I'd buy selhurst and whack up a housing estate.

yup, works for me :-)
  • Options
    If I were Gold, I'd put my feet up and enjoy my remaining years stress free away from football club ownership.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]If I was Gold, I'd buy selhurst and whack up a housing estate.[/quote]

If I were Richard Murray I would buy Selhurst and stick up a council estate. Get one over on an old foe and increase the likely support of Charlton by ridding yourself of a competitor, double win!

Alternaitvely, has there been a thread suggesting Charlton LIfe buy it yet...I would chip in £50.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    valleyman, as much as that. Do you mean 50p?
  • Options
    What possible appeal could we have when up against one of the true giants of the game I don't know.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]If I was Gold, I'd buy selhurst and whack up a housing estate.

If that's a serious comment, he can't because Selhurst Park can only be used as a football stadium, unless an alternative playing venue is found for Palace in the same borough.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan told The Guardian. “If I see another David Gold interview on the poor East End Jewish boy done good, I’ll impale myself on one of his dildos.”

I always suspected that Jordan takes it up the arse.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]

If that's a serious comment, he can't because Selhurst Park can only be used as a football stadium, unless an alternative playing venue is found for Palace in the same borough.

I've never made one yet, so I'm not going to start now ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]What possible appeal could we have when up against one of the true giants of the game I don't know.

...I knew you'd come round to my way of thinking in the end pilchard.

I honestly don't think Gold is interested in either club, and is probably using both clubs as a bargaining chip in his quest to get West Ham for as cheap as possible.

However I don't think SJ's previous with Gold would be a problem for either of them, money has a way of getting people talking. Also it would be interesting to see how an outsider would see the respective fortunes of our clubs, I know that Charlton own there ground, but in Palaces favour is there league position, and one of the most respected academys in British football.

One thing is for sure though, Palace certainly need a buyer sooner rather than later, and I imagine Charlton would welcome an early outcome too.
  • Options
    Budgie, I have to say for once I actually agree with you (obviously not your comments on the ironic bit in my original post- we would never agree on that- perish the thought!) but in as much as I believe that the whole Sullivan-Gold thing is total made up twaddle and exactly as you say- just a bargaining chip for their real goal- West Ham. I also agree on the Jordan v's the Dildo Brothers saga would not matter a flying fig where money is concerned if they offered to buy your team tomorrow. I'm not really that enamoured with the rumour of their interest in us to be honest. I would of course welcome a buyer for us soon and am certain it will happen -when though who knows?
  • Options
    Yep. IF only we had a decent Academy ;0)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]

Just like Highbury then - with the added problem of the main stand being listed (whereas the main stand at SP is listing).

Croydon Council would fall over themselves to help ANY developer build housing on the site - as long as there was a section 106 agreement with it - and the pitch remained a 'green area'.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite] and one of the most respected academys in British football.

I love the way Palace fans cream themselves over their academy. The current crop are only getting first team action because Colin is unable to purchase any players because of the embargo.

How many ex Palace youth are currently playing in the Prem?

How many ex Palace youth have gone on to win international honours?

Even certain League 1 Clubs can name better youth products than Palace ;-)