Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Monday moans

edited November 2009 in Not Sports Related
why is it you buy a nice new uncut loaf on Saturday and come Monday morning it is so hard that it could scare Danny Dyer ?

Comments

• Options
    It all has to do with the behavior of starch molecules.

Starch is made up of two base components, both of them long-chain sugars, also known as carbohydrates: amylose and amylopectin. Both are made up of many many units of glucose, and that makes them similar. Yet those units of glucose are configured differently, which causes them to behave in very different ways. Amylose is built like a narrow bundle of reeds, with all of its glucose units (up to 1,000 or so) arranged in straight, parallel chains. Amylopectin, in the other hand, looks more like a shrub, with its glucose units (up to 20,000 of them) going off every which way.

Hundreds or thousands of both make up a typical starch "granule" (or single grain of flour) with the long straight amylose in nice orderly layers (starch crystals) and the amylopectin in big bushy heaps. Add water and heat to that scenario (dough making and baking) and things start to change. The bonds that keep the carbohydrate molecules bunched together weaken, and water molecules start getting in between them. The starch granule swells.

This continues until the finished bread is taken out of the oven, at which point the process starts to reverse itself. The carbohydrate molecules start to reorder themselves. It doesn't happen quickly, but it does happen inexorably. The carbs, especially the amyloses, become re-attracted to one another and begin stacking themselves back up again in neat piles, making hard crystals once again. The water molecules are forced out from between them, and shortly evaporate.

So you see, bread goes stale not just because it's dryer, but because its structure is also harder.
  • Options
    Why does it take 48 hours (72 hours in real terms) to get a repeat prescription from the quack?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Why is our IT department Sh**e?
    Feel better now
  • Options
    So i am guessing your either a bread cheff or a baker Rodney or a massive bred enthusiast?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]Why is our IT department Sh**e?
    Feel better now

Same yet they still get paid more than me :-)
  • Options
    A bread chef?!
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]A bread chef?!

Just what I thought.

Must be a new name for a baker ; - )
  • Options

There could be such a thing lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]
    Feel better now

cos they look after not just you but how many dozens of others, most of whom think they are the only person who needs IT.. usually undermanned, and no longer a well paid profession either particularly support. Not only are market rates not what they were back in the 90's early 00's, but u usually find less people doing more work, not only that although newer systems are generally more stable, the need for technical knowledge and skills is greater - you are expected to know everything (of course this has just got even more stupid in the current climate).
  • Options
    WHY DOESN'T ANYONE ANSWER THE FOOOKING PHONE

AND WHO STOLE ALL OF THE CHEESE FOOTBALLS?
  • Options
    Because management aren't willing to pay for enough qualified staff to do the job properly?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Just what I thought.

Must be a new name for a baker ; - )

Exactally :-)
  • Options
    Exactally

Ru mate, stop digging...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Exactally

Ru mate, stop digging...

Caught me out sorry :-)
  • Options
    what idiot schedules a pointless meeting for 9am Monday morning??!!
  • Options
    Had one of them myself thismorning razil not fun who actually listens at 9am in the morning and is actaully 100% focused.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]
    Feel better now

cos they look after not just you but how many dozens of others, most of whom think they are the only person who needs IT.. usually undermanned, and no longer a well paid profession either particularly support. Not only are market rates not what they were back in the 90's early 00's, but u usually find less people doing more work, not only that although newer systems are generally more stable, the need for technical knowledge and skills is greater - you are expected to know everything (of course this has just got even more stupid in the current climate).

Would i be correct in assuming you work in IT?
  • Options
    Why when the Mrs knows i will be purchasing the new Football manager and have been looking forward to it for months. (Sad i know) Does she feel the need to organize 176 diffferent things i have to attend over the weekend and then furthermore. Make me late for every single one of them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]So i am guessing your either a bread cheff or a baker Rodney or a massive bred enthusiast?

I am a professional "bread chef" - i sell the gunk that slows down the chemical process that Rodney describes so eloquently.
  • Options
    Masterbreadchef

The Professionals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]So i am guessing your either a bread cheff or a baker Rodney or a massive bred enthusiast?

I am a professional "bread chef" - i sell the gunk that slows down the chemical process that Rodney describes so eloquently.

Would love to take credit but t'was a google job. Still we've all learned something about bread today. ;-)
  • Options
    I was in a stinking mood today until i read this thread. Bread Chef - hahaha.
  • Options
    Same here thanks Rodney lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]I was in a stinking mood today until i read this thread. Bread Chef - hahaha.

I am glad i contributed to the changing of oyur mood matey :-)
  • Options
    Why have I still got a hangover at 315 on a Monday afternoon?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]Why have I still got a hangover at 315 on a Monday afternoon?

Light weight? ;)
  • Options
    Anyone found anymore "BreadChefs" out there ?
  • Options
    I saw this yesterday whilst going down the A1.

who would have thought