Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Garrow's Law

18th Century court room drama on BBC last night.

Good stuff and based on a real person who brought about many significant changes to the legal system.

Anyone else see it?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, I saw it, didn' realise it was based on a true story - I shall google Mr. Garrow and further my education...

Thought Andrew Bucan was good in the part - very different from the character he plays in The Fixer.
  • Options
    mentioned on here before, but you can look up the Old Bailey court cases going back to about 1780. I looked up people with my surname and found 6 death sentaces. One for using a counter fit note -- age 14 !
    last few weeks there have been two versions of Oliver twist on TV. If you ever get the chance read the book. Fagin was no gentile Uncle figure. Had to read a book called Hell Holes about prisons --- one of the reasons the sewage systems were built was that the Good and Great of the juries tended to catch typhoid off the prisoners etc at one stage 300 died a week. It didnt matter when it was the poor dying. Another book Elizabethan under world ---- mugging -- we invented it. Mainly on torists visiting St Pauls.

Watched it last night enjoyable
  • Options
    I'd never heard of him before last night either but good drama and informative.

GH, you must be wrong. There was no mugging, crime or violence in the old days, everyone left their doors unlocked and people were much healthier without the PC nanny state telling them what to eat or drink. Everyone knows that ; - )
  • Options
    Goonhater, so "Fagin was no gentile Uncle figure", you saying he was jewish then? :-)
  • Options
    said before Dickens would never be allowed to write Oliver Twist today -- the nanny PC state would have said it was anti-semetic/sterio typing etc etc etc.
  • Options
    Good program ... looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Goonhater, so "Fagin was no gentile Uncle figure", you saying he was jewish then? :-)

LOL - good spot Cordoba, great typo GH...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Goonhater, so "Fagin was no gentile Uncle figure", you saying he was jewish then? :-)[/quote]

LOL - good spot Cordoba, great typo GH...[/quote]

Thanks Al, just pleased somebody noticed my joke. Thought I might be starting up some kind of rant. Bar looks nice by the way, a bit to far for me to nip into for a pint though!
  • Options
    Yes, a bit of a trek mate. Nice place for a long weekend though...
  • Options
    Only about 300 kms, do you do any nice pies?