Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Air Raid Shelters from the war

2»

Comments

• Options
    Had a work team building day at the Kelvedon Hatch secret nuclear bunker a few years back. They were dotted around the country with the capabilty of running the country from below ground. God knows why we had the team building day there (or why you'd have one anywhere for that matter) but it was quite interesting.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I'm not. It seriously did happen
    Was Scooby Doo there?
    It'll be the janitor wot done it. All dressed up in a sheet to put the willys up Nathan and missus.
  • Options
    I remember my Grandad had an Anderson that was used as a shed in Hither Green. Came across a photo the other day from the Fifties of him outside it. Don't know if it's still there as it was sold with the house when he died in the early 70's
  • Options
    An old school chum lived in one of those huge houses on Dartford Heath (her auntie is Diana Quick) & she had a huge one in her back garden
    Ooh err missus
  • Options
    Had a work team building day at the Kelvedon Hatch secret nuclear bunker a few years back. They were dotted around the country with the capabilty of running the country from below ground. God knows why we had the team building day there (or why you'd have one anywhere for that matter) but it was quite interesting.
    There's a secret nuclear bunker built inside the earthworks remains of the old Napoleonic Wars Redoubt No1, at Maker Barracks in Cornwall.

Oops! Not a secret anymore.

• Options
    Secret nuclear bunker...
  • Options
    Remember at least 2 massive shelters on the 9th Dartford Scout hall site in Shepherds Lane Darford. Long gone, houses on site now.
  • Options
    Used to work with a guy who had a shelter in his front garden. He took a couple of days off to knock it down... Boy did he get into trouble with the council! It was a listed building.

Another friend has got an underground shelter in his garden - not surprising that his kids are very well behaved.
  • Options
    Was in the Cleethorpes recently and visited the WW1 Air Raid shelter. Used as a garage now. Was built by a pharmacist who built it after dozens of people were killed in a zeppelin air raid.
  • Options
    Come to my condo you can see mine. all new apartments in Singapore have bomb shelters. Great for storage or the maid!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Come to my condo you can see mine. all new apartments in Singapore have bomb shelters. Great for storage or the maid!
    That used to be law in Switzerland (or maybe it still is - perhaps we can ask one of the mysterons?) - most are in use as wine cellars now.

• Options
    Who in the hell is gonna attack Singapore? They still have national service here as well. Ironically enough it is 70 yrs this week since the japs invaded effectively ending British rule.
  • Options
    Got an air raid siren but want a shelter too
  • Options
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Ditch-Britains-Resistance-Against/dp/1853677302

Interesting book on the resistance movement set up in Southern England. Had the first choice of equipment and hide-outs built ready to go underground if an invasion had come.
  • Options
    The xray department at Erith hospital is the air raid shelter
  • Options
    Blatent plug "A Wander through Wartime London" Pen & Sword Books - by some bloke called Clive Harris (& Neil Bright) features a walk around Greenwich, one around Bermondsey and one around Southwark

Lots of bits about surviving features of the last war, brilliant forward written by Steve Hunniset who posts on here as well, Steve has an excellent blog www.blitzwalkers.co.uk which has lots of local info, when I spoke to him at H/T Tuesday we mentioned a lifers walk
  • Options
    Secret nuclear bunker...
    Love that. It makes me chuckle whenever I drive around that way.
  • Options
    on the bridge at ladywell train station you can still see "shelter for 600"
    Same thing at Catford Bridge.
  • Options
    I used to dream of living in an Air Raid Shelter............
    That would be a sheltered life!
  • Options
    I used to dream of living in an Air Raid Shelter............
    You must be bombed out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Currently working on baker street tube station and down in a non public area is a massive air raid shelter which is still in pristine condition inside should it ever be needed again
  • Options
    When I worked at the Home Office, my office was in the nuclear bunker there. So if the world was to end, I would be safe provided I was at work!!! So that's alright then.
  • Options
    There is one next to the railway bridge going over the A20 right next to The Dutch House pub car park.
  • Options
    When I worked at the Home Office, my office was in the nuclear bunker there. So if the world was to end, I would be safe provided I was at work!!! So that's alright then.
    Yeah but the tubes wouldn't be running so how would you get home after work? I don't think you've fully thought this through Greenie.

• Options
    Quite a few down our way around Folkestone
  • Options
    His son would pick him up cos he's passed his driving test innit
  • Options
    lol