Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Technical help

edited November 2009 in Not Sports Related
Could someone please tell me what that difference between 40 quids worth of pc worlds Wifi dongle and those found on our very own Amazon for a tenner, I expect a couple quid difference in the high street price but I also believe you get what you pay for. By the way its for my TV which has a PC facility if that make any difference to the one I need.

Comments

• £30 difference.

Education standards are really slipping aren't they?

:-)
  • edited November 2009
    What make is your TV as you may need to but a certain make/model of USB WiFi dongle to be compatible with the TV.
  • Its a Samsung idealworld.
    I'm ignoring Da9, cos that is the sort of smart ar5e reply I'd have come out with ;)
  • edited November 2009
    put some links up and I'll tell you, but very little I suspect - thats why its called Pissy World (allegedly)
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Its a Samsung idealworld.
    I'm ignoring Da9, cos that is the sort of smart ar5e reply I'd have come out with ;)

:-)
  • wait a minute your TV has a PC facility..... that would make it a PC?

:)
  • http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/8986546/Samsung-Series-6-650-40-quot-LE40B650-HD-1080p-Freeview-LCD-TV/Product.html?cur=257

Yep I bought a 40" laptop, a fecking nightmare on the train:)
    It has a internet facility where you go so far and then searches for wireless signal which then fails.
    So I thought I'd give it a go and see what it can or can't do.
  • Amazon sell two Samsung made ones, one is £15 and the other is £43 - search for "samsung wireless dongle" I am sure one of these would work, hopefully the cheap one!
  • Go on, I'll buy it............

Whats a "dongle"......?
  • edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Go on, I'll buy it............

Whats a "dongle"......?

A wolves fan :)
  • Sponsored links:

• You can also plug the TV straight into your router with a network cable to save purchasing a USB Wifi stick see:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40B650/Operation.htm

Internet@TV

As more and more manufacturers jump on the "internet TV" bandwagon, Samsung has incorporated Yahoo's internet widget platform into the LE40B650. After plugging in an Ethernet cable (alternatively you can purchase a £50 USB dongle from Samsung if you wish to go wireless) to the Samsung LE40B650, (auto)configuring the network settings, and accepting the disclaimer, you can launch selected widget applications like Youtube, Flickr, news, stock quotes and weather from a swanky horizontal taskbar at the bottom of the screen.

Once launched, the widget sits on the left side of the screen (though Youtube videos will be blown up to fit the entire screen). While innovative, unfortunately the Samsung LE40B650's "Internet@TV" is more beautiful than useful due to slow loading, sluggish navigation and time-consuming text input (typing out search terms using the on-screen keyboard can be a frustrating experience).
  • Ah a TV with internet, not same as TV with PC... I wouldn't be surprised if you had to stick to their compatible hardware, as long as you do that you should be fine
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Ah a TV with internet, not same as TV with PC... I wouldn't be surprised if you had to stick to their compatible hardware, as long as you do that you should be fine

Thank Christ for that, Had visions of some DODGY "wouldya" popping up on screen while Mrs TCE is watching CSI Miami ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for your help Gents. Just ordered the 15 quid one from Amazon, thats my CL subs paid ;)
  • the ps3 has something similar although I've never looked at it, it also has BBC iplayer built in now.
  • T.C.E, just looked again and the £15 is not going to work as your TV is a Samsung Series 6, so it is the expensive one that fits (had to be didn't it)
  • [cite]Posted By: idealworld[/cite]T.C.E, just looked again and the £15 is not going to work as your TV is a Samsung Series 6, so it is the expensive one that fits (had to be didn't it)

I read the write up further down and the guy said "it will work on the series 6" we'll see ;)
  • To the techies out there - right I can't find secure delete programme that works so I'm just formatting, then filling up the hard disk (s) with large innocuous iso files, then formatting again - this should do the same job right?
  • Yeah. That works fine. Ignore all the people who tell you that you can recover data unless its been overwritten seven times. The only people who could ever recover data that's been zeroed out or overwritten are MI5. There are also programs you can use that will zero out free space on a disk that's currently in use.
  • ta, thought so