Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My first football match November 5, 1966

I have a confession to make; Charlton was not the first club I supported.
Can it really be 43 years ago that the Sunday-school teacher took a group of 10 year olds to watch a football match. As we walked along to the ground, past the many stools selling rosettes, pin badges, hats and banners, with the whiff of chestnuts being roasted on the drums. With much anticipation of seeing world cup heroes and my idol, a short Scottish winger that had the ball tight to his foot. Back in those days a foreign footballer was one that came from the Republic of Ireland. I would see one of those in this match. And the trainer would run on to the pitch carrying a bladder full of water with his magic sponge. The crowd of 58.000 is still the largest crowd I have been in for a football league match. The home side were the ones that had last picked up the division 1 trophy. Any of you have any idea who I supported and what match I saw?
Needless to say it only took another 5 months before I supported Charlton. There is still no comparisons.

Comments

• Options
    Chelsea v Man U?

I'm guessing Charlie Cooke was your Scottish winger and Best was your Irishman!
  • Options
    Liverpool v Leeds?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Chelsea v Man U?

I'm guessing Charlie Cooke was your Scottish winger and Best was your Irishman!

Best was from Northern Ireland
  • Options
    Nigel w
    SPOT ON.
    Some think tells me we have somethink more in common .Look at 1st pub comments.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite][div class=CommentHeader][span][/span][/div][div id=CommentBody_569220 class=CommentBody]Chelsea v Man U?

I'm guessing Charlie Cooke was your Scottish winger and Best was your Irishman![/div]

Can't be Nigel.
    Best was an Ulsterman, not Republic and only 1 world cup hero (Charlton.R.)

Edit: (Blush) seems you were right!
  • Options
    Best was from Northern Ireland every think else is correct.
  • Options
    Just realised you said Republic of Ireland so not Bestie as he was a Belfast boy. But Man U might have had Cantwell, Brennan and Dunne . all of whom were from Eire?
  • Options
    SIX A BAG OF NUTS.
    1 world cup hero R Charlton think again how could you forget his brother in law.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    But in November 1966 neither Man United nor Chelsea were the last team to pick up the Div 1 trophy (Liverpool were champions of the 1965-66 season)!

PS Charlie Cooke was my hero in those days as well. I remember getting my mum to sew a number 10 onto my dark blue football shorts hoping that it would help me play like him in our kick abouts on Blackheath.
  • Options
    Bobby's brother in law? There would have been another world cup hero playing in Nobby Styles. But didn't he marry Tony Dunne's sister?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]SIX A BAG OF NUTS.
    1 world cup hero R Charlton think again how could you forget his brother in law.

Nobby?
    I'm holding my hands up, Lewis Coaches.
    Shame on me!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Chelsea v Man U?

I'm guessing Charlie Cooke was your Scottish winger and Best was your Irishman![/quote]

Best came from Northern Ireland, British not Irish!
  • Options
    Don't know if he played that day but Manures John Connolly played in the 66 World Cup...