Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A year ago today

A year ago today we lost 2-3 away to Birmingham. It was our 7th game without a victory. We conceded 14 goals and scored 7. We were a week away from a 5-2 home defeat to Sheffield United. Demonstrations and Pardew's sacking. The start of Parky's tenure.

The team v Birmingham was,

Weaver, Moutaouakil, Youga, Hudson, Primus, Sam, Semedo, Holland, Bailey, Bouazza, Gray (subs used: Shelvey, Todorov, Varney)

9 of the 14 who featured in that game are no longer with the club.

So, have we progressed since then?

I think so. The squad has been radically altered, we are playing with a more settled core to the team, and despite the recent blip we are still second. Parky has made mistakes but seems to be learning. I'm sure he will go on more learning curves throughout the season too. But, we're unbeaten at the Valley since March (I think).

Generally, the performances have improved and the mentality seems better. Of the players who remain from a year ago, Sam, Semedo and Youga have all improved, while Shelvey and Bailey have had question marks over them. Nonetheless, Bailey, reverting back to CM yesterday, has perhaps returned to form. Shelvey is still searching for his, and Parky perhaps is still trying to find the best position to accommodate his undoubted talents.

This season, Daily at the back has proved to be an inspired signing and Mooney up front with Burton has suddenly given the team a goal threat. Burton, who appeared a bad signing last year has been pivotal for us this season.

There have been a few loan signings that haven't worked, but as Ambrose has proved at Crystal Palace, some players seem to respond to some managers better than others.

Perhaps it has taken time to turn, but the deadwood has been cast off and a new squad has steadied the ship.

Comments

• Options
    A year ago to the day at this time I was getting lost in Birmingham
  • Options
    your ok now though nathan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]your ok now though nathan.

Yeah, just about got over it
  • Options
    Good post Chablis, lots of good points there.

If you compare our side yesterday to the one from a year ago, i'm pretty sure the one yesterday would win, so team wise i do think we have improved. A lot of that though comes from confidence in winning games though.
  • Options
    turning point that brummy game cudda been. Bloody weaver
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mike[/cite]turning point that brummy game cudda been. Bloody weaver

I heard the phrase 'turning point' enough times in that season to last a lifetime. Gave up on it in the end as hope kills.