Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Saturday 18th November 2000. Charlton 2 Chelsea 0

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
Saturday 18th November 2000

The Valley, Att 20,043

Charlton Athletic 2 (1) (Johansson 35, Pringle 90) Chelsea 0 (0)

Charlton: Kiely Kishishev Rufus Fish Powell Jensen (Konchesky 84) Kinsella Stuart Salako (Todd 78) Svensson (Pringle 70) Johansson. Unused subs: Caig Newton.

Chelsea: De Goey Melchiot Leboeuf Desailly Wise Morris Dalla-Bona (Flo 46) Poyet (Gudjohnsen 46) Babayaro Zola Hasselbaink (Jokanovic 74). Unused subs: Hitchcock Bogarde.

Referee: Paul Durkin (Portland)

Final match: Tore Andre Flo was transfered to Glasgow Rangers the following Thursday to set a new Scottish record or £12m.

Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri used an interpreter at the press conference.

Comments

• Options
    :-(
  • Options
    Its only in hindsight you can see the over-achievement of that team was quite remarkable.

Salako, Svensson, Todd, Pringle, Kish, Newton etc hardly top drawer were they

Unbelievable period
  • Options
    Remember Pringle's late goal very well.

We had a corner and I think Martin was the only Charlton player in the box. CHelsea had left a lot of players up field.

Kins just dropped the ball on his head at the near post and 2 - 0.
  • Options
    Adn Kins took the corner for Pringles goal when the ball was about 3 yards away from the corner D.
  • Options
    I was living in vancouver then, with a lovely canadian girlfriend, and watching the game in the canucks bar next to GM place in down town vancouver!
    How times have changed...........Still, yeovil away saturday so its not all bad (smiley winkey thing)
  • Options
    I remember this game well, especially Desailly pulling JJ back when clean through. It was as straight a red as can be but Durkin bottled it and only showed him a yellow.

The most amazing stat from this game was discovering that Winston Bogarde was on the bench for Chelsea, one of very few public appearances.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Tommy Dowling[/cite]

The most amazing stat from this game was discovering that Winston Bogarde was on the bench for Chelsea, one of very few public appearances.

Later changed his name to Cory Gibbs I believe.
  • Options
    One thing that stick in my memory, is Melchiot giving away a foul throw, with probably the worst attempt I've ever seen.
  • Options
    The marking for Pringle's goal was great. He didn't even have to jump to nod it in. Probably the worst bit of defending at a corner you could see as Pringle was stood at the near post with no-one near him!

Took four Belgian chums that day and they loved it. The same four blokes came again the following season......and saw us win 4-2 at Highbury!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Took four Belgian chums that day and they loved it. The same four blokes came again the following season......and saw us win 4-2 at Highbury!!!

How much for 4 half season tickets and travel from Belgium for the rest of the season?
    4-2 at Highbury was a great result, great game. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fishs home debut aswell i seem to recall!
  • Options
    Good times. We had so many cracking results against Chelsea. Can remember Pringle's goal, but can't picture JJ's? Can't have been one of his overhead kicks, we'd all remember that...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]The marking for Pringle's goal was great. He didn't even have to jump to nod it in. Probably the worst bit of defending at a corner you could see as Pringle was stood at the near post with no-one near him!

Took four Belgian chums that day and they loved it. The same four blokes came again the following season......and saw us win 4-2 at Highbury!!!

Shame you dont bring them more often. ;-)
  • Options
    I know...they thought it was like that every week!

Did it a few times after that too....25 or so Belgians came over for a game for the following three seasons (we used to take them in The Pilot for a big pre-match piss-up)....but once we were out of the Premier League that was it. Eight of them came over a couple of weeks back but they went to Fulham v Liverpool....instead of Carlisle away!!!
  • Options
    Great game, I was right near the Chelsea fans that day in the East stand and saw Bartlett score at the bridge to seal a double over them, which we repeated again the following season! I think JJ ran on to a through ball and slotted it home, probably set up by Kinsella or Stuart.

The Flo transfer remains the Scottish record and is unlikely to be broken for a long time.

How things have changed!
  • Options
    What year did we beat Chelsea 1-0 at the Bridge with Super Kevin Lisbie scoring in the 80th/90th minute - I vaguely remember it being midweek and I'm pretty sure I was there - now that I've hit 30, everything kind of blurs into one! :o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Its only in hindsight you can see the over-achievement of that team was quite remarkable.

Salako, Svensson, Todd, Pringle, Kish, Newton etc hardly top drawer were they

Unbelievable period

The team was greater than the sum of it's parts, etc .... ?

Curbs' gift, I guess.
  • Options
    10 years on.......
  • Options
    14 years anyone?
  • Options
    Remember before the game a Chelsea fan decided to talk to me and my mates in The Victoria (great pre match boozer). He came out with something along the lines of you must be looking forward to playing a big team. He was told to jog on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    90th minute, us winning 1-0 and we get a corner. Curbs going berserk , surely we take a short corner and keep it in the corner? Nope, 2-0 and Curbs still doing his nut on the sideline.
  • Options
    Sad thing is, it wasn't that big a thing at the time.
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7406477378

Also available is the Teamsheet

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/15640657307

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    I remember Martin's goal really well. They talked about Mark's placement of the ball for the corner on MotD (maybe The Premiership, can't remember who had the rights then).
  • Options
    bit sad that i'm now struggling to remember this one

goals can be seen from chelsea's highlights video from around 37.12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N87I_Qosr5c
  • Options
    I'm also struggling to remember it yet posted quite a decent recollection of it 5 years ago!
  • Options
    I remember it quite well.

Back in the days of secondary school when a Chelsea fan was quite rare amongst the glory hunting United and Arsenal lot.

Still, was good taking the piss out of them when they popped up none the less.
  • Options
    Always rated Martin Pringle, shame he was very injury prone!
  • Options
    It's amazing when you look back at our record against Chelsea in that period. Curbs really did get the best out of some very average players against teams who really were the best around. Only our poor United record stood out in that period.