Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any Cheap Train Ticket Tips?

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
Hi
I have just been and got my tickets for Stockport away in December, but have realised it is around 65 quid each for a return train ticket (can't say I fancy the coach). I have heard about group rail discounts and was wondering if anyone knows how (if there is any way) to avoid such an expense.

Comments

• Options
    Ask Valleygary - he gets VERY cheap train tickets!
  • Options
    Try www.thetrainline.com - when you get the list of tickets - they will list returns but click on single tickets as its nearly always cheaper to get 2 singles!
  • Options
    Jump it!
  • Options
    why dont you see what Syde Cheeswright is offering?
  • Options
    Thanks a lot, I will call Syde tomorrow
  • Options
    Never buy a direct ticket. It is a lot cheaper to buy to different destinations for the saem journey. You might find that you don't have to get off the train but will save up to 50%.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: cafc-west[/cite]Try www.thetrainline.com - when you get the list of tickets - they will list returns but click on single tickets as its nearly always cheaper to get 2 singles!
    Go to the Train Operator's site. They often charge a lower booking fee.

Also, always check the Trainline's Best Fare Finder, which uses cached, collaborative content to provide the best fares between two stations. If you are planning a journey well in advance, the Ticket Alert which gives you early warning of when "Advance" tickets become available to buy. The Trainline
  • Options
    There's some good advice on this site

Money Saving Expert

You might end up with 3 single tickets just to get to your destinations though!