Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lloyd Sam: Best win for three seasons

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
In the SLP

CHARLTON’S longest-serving player Lloyd Sam believes the 5-1 win over MK Dons on Saturday was the team’s best performance since beating West Ham 4-0 in a crucial Premier League game in February 2007.

Sam is the only member of the first-team squad who was involved for the Addicks in the Premier League.

And while he didn’t play in the game against the Hammers, which saw Alan Pardew’s Charlton beat Alan Curbishley’s Upton Park outfit, he remembers the occasion vividly.

“Both teams were struggling and we really needed a result that day,” said Sam. “It was a fantastic performance, even if we eventually got relegated.

“The win over MK Dons is the best performance I can remember since then in such an important match.

“We had a bit of a cushion at the top of the league for a while but the teams behind us have been eating away at it and it was essential that we put on a good show and got the win.

“It was a great performance and we needed a result like that to lift everyone after what had happened in the previous couple of weeks. We hadn’t been on the best of runs so it was a relief to pick up the three points.

“We need to start building that gap again so that it becomes difficult for the sides below us to catch up."

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=45508&headline=Lloyd

Comments

• Options
    I would have put the win over Reading last season above the MK Dons one
  • Options
    I guess he is talking about the context of the match, a six pointer against a team around you.

That wasn't the case with the Reading game although I agree it was entertaining and we played well.
  • Options
    I'd agree with him - the MK Dons victory came against a team in form and breathing down our necks, plus we had just come off two defeats in a week and a poor run of results. Defeat and we'd have slipped out of the top two and there's a personal angle in this - Sam had his best game in over a month and is no doubt looking at it after getting a bit of grief from the fans and coaching staff.
  • Options
    When was the last time we scored 5?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I would have put the win over Reading last season above the MK Dons one

Yea probly cos they are a biggr club and at the time it was amazing it was live on sky aswell was it not?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jason1[/cite]When was the last time we scored 5?

I think in the prem first prem match at the valley vs southampton it was 5-1 or 5-0 cant remember if they scored or not.
  • Options

1968, beat Hull City 5-1, Ray Treacy hatrick.
    I was there.

Only kidding.

;o)
  • Options
    As Len suggested, it was probably our biggest win for a while in the context of our respective standings, and I'd agree, Lloyd's own best for a good few games. Now let's press on from that one, instead of throwing away the feel good factor like we did after West Ham.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]

I think in the prem first prem match at the valley vs southampton it was 5-1 or 5-0 cant remember if they scored or not.

We must've put 5 past someone when we won the First Division. Didn't we beat Grimsby 5-2 away? The game you're thinking of was definitely 5-0.

EDIT: Yes we did beat Grimsby 5-2 away in 1999
  • Options
    I remember being at Portacabin Corner Xmas 1986 when we beat Manchester City 5-0 in a top flight game.

Brilliant solo goal from George Shipley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Another 50-0 was in March 98 when we stuffed West Brom at The Valley, near the beginning of our 8 successive wins without conceding a goal run that ended at Wembley scoring 11 goals in one match.

So scoring 11 goals at Wembley is, in fact, Charlton's record score?

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Another 50-0 was in March 98 when we stuffed West Brom at The Valley, near the beginning of our 8 successive wins without conceding a goal run that ended at Wembley scoring 11 goals in one match.

So scoring11 goals at Wembleyis, in fact, Charlton's record score?

;o)

50-0. Blimey don't remember that :-)
  • Options
    LOL ...... did I write, 50 nil? lolololololo

I meant Charlton 5 West Brom 0, of course. Nobody had mentioned it.

And as Henry's friend Rupert tried to post earlier, our 1st ever home match in the Prem was
    Charlton 5 Southampton 0

Johnny Robinson scored our 1st ever Prem goal, a Mendonca hatrick ...... not forgetting cult hero Neil Redfearn's contribution.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]

We must've put 5 past someone when we won the First Division. Didn't we beat Grimsby 5-2 away? The game you're thinking of was definitely 5-0.

EDIT:Yes we did beat Grimsby 5-2 away in 1999

The Grimsby away game was when a lot of those who went didn't get there till half time and on my coach we were late and nobody would believe me when i said that Rufus had scored twice! Also amusing was a lot of people with heavy stubble getting in for kids prices!
  • Options
    hey

they said Sam is the only player to have been involved in the prem for us still in the first team squad

Randolph is the forgotten man again then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PhoenixSiv[/cite]hey

they said Sam is the only player to have been involved in the prem for us still in the first team squad

Lol good point the guy needs a new club, where he is appreciated, hope he goes in January
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: PhoenixSiv[/cite]hey

Youga was an unused sub in the Prem I believe. As a Curbs signing he was certainly on the books.

Agree with your point re Randolph though.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Elliot was around as well, think he made the bench when Randolph made his debut?