Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Llera to fight for place

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
In the SLP

CHARLTON defender Miguel Llera is itching to regain his place in Phil Parkinson’s first team and says he is doing everything he can to be a success at The Valley.

The giant Spanish defender, 30, started the first nine games of the season, as the Addicks made their best ever start to a league campaign, winning seven times and drawing twice before eventually losing 3-0 at Colchester.

Llera was dropped after that game and replaced by new signing Sam Sodje, and the former MK Dons defender has found it difficult to reclaim his place since then.

“We had the best league start in the club’s history over 10 games and lost only the last one, but after this defeat confidence left the team,” said Llera.

“Since then the side has changed a little. Sodje is a great player and is therefore welcome to the club if it helps us win promotion. He has good experience, as do I.

"I am working hard in training to fight for my place and as I realised last year, it is a long season with lots of games, so the squad is the key.

“Of course, to play every week is important. I train hard every day to do this, but the main thing is promotion to the Championship. I’m playing football far from my home in Spain and I have not come here on vacation - I came to be a success and to make an impact as a player at Charlton.

“I know the manager is happy with me so far for the games I’ve played in the past and the way I train every day. With this I’m going home every day knowing I’m doing my job well, although admittedly the Colchester game was not good for me.

“If the time comes that on Saturday I do not play, it is the manager’s decision, I cannot do more."

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=45530&headline=Miguel

Comments

• Options
    Good attitude and a good man to have as cover at this level.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Good attitude and a good man to have as cover at this level.

agree, feel a bit for him really as his only real bad performance coincided with Sodje being ready to play !
  • Options
    With an attitude like that he puts some of the Premier league fatcats to shame. Still think he'll have a part to play this season no way Dailly & Sodje will play every game.
  • Options
    What Len said.

He makes mistakes, but he's a decent League One centre back and against good strikers he won't always get it right. As said though he has a good attitude, we need that in back up players, someone who will fight for his place and not look to leave because he's dropped.
  • Options
    My concern is that the loyalty and commitment Parky wants is all very well but it needs to go both ways, although Llera may not be the best example, but perhaps the treatment of our reserve goal keeper and other players such as Dickson? and Moo2
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]With an attitude like that he puts some of the Premier league fatcats to shame. Still think he'll have a part to play this season no way Dailly & Sodje will play every game.
    Agree 100%
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]My concern is that the loyalty and commitment Parky wants is all very well but it needs to go both ways, although Llera may not be the best example, but perhaps the treatment of our reserve goal keeper and other players such as Dickson? and Moo2
    Problem is we don't know what has really happened. There might be good reasons why we want to get rid of them. It's surely far more than Parky just not liking or rating them. He gave McLeod games after his efforts in training and good attitude.
  • Options
    Sodje unlikely to play every game due to he's injury prone and International career (altho the latter may now be over for this season)
  • Options
    For those that dont read it, from Cardinal's Drinking during the Game:

Sunday Morning - Thought you might like to know that I past a Charlton player whilst out running along the river this morning. As he bounded towards me in a tracksuit and a fleecy deerstaker with his hood up, my first instinct was a boxer - his stature and the chiselled chin. The second we passed and our eyes locked I realised my mistake. Miguel Angel Llera. He must have turned around by the Cutty Sark because he overtook me later on around the outside of the Dome - I had already done five miles so it was to be expected. Good to know he keeps himself fit and doesn't rely on training sessions.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]My concern is that the loyalty and commitment Parky wants is all very well but it needs to go both ways, although Llera may not be the best example, but perhaps the treatment of our reserve goal keeper and other players such as Dickson? and Moo2
    Problem is we don't know what has really happened. There might be good reasons why we want to get rid of them. It's surely far more than Parky just not liking or rating them. He gave McLeod games after his efforts in training and good attitude.

Aye could be true, happens far too often for my liking during pardew and parky eras - loanees coming straight in when we have players patiently waiting on the wings, Randolph as I said would be a prime example.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought he was excellent when he came in agaonst oldham, great attitude
  • Options
    Hope he doesn't fight for his place as we all know what happend to Andy Todd when he tried to!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]In the SLP

CHARLTON defender Miguel Llera is itching to regain his place in Phil Parkinson’s first team and says he is doing everything he can to be a success at The Valley.

The giant Spanish defender, 30, started the first nine games of the season, as the Addicks made their best ever start to a league campaign, winning seven times and drawing twice before eventually losing 3-0 at Colchester.

Llera was dropped after that game and replaced by new signing Sam Sodje, and the former MK Dons defender has found it difficult to reclaim his place since then.

“We had the best league start in the club’s history over 10 games and lost only the last one, but after this defeat confidence left the team,” said Llera.

“Since then the side has changed a little. Sodje is a great player and is therefore welcome to the club if it helps us win promotion. He has good experience, as do I.

"I am working hard in training to fight for my place and as I realised last year, it is a long season with lots of games, so the squad is the key.

“Of course, to play every week is important. I train hard every day to do this, but the main thing is promotion to the Championship. I’m playing football far from my home in Spain and I have not come here on vacation - I came to be a success and to make an impact as a player at Charlton.

“I know the manager is happy with me so far for the games I’ve played in the past and the way I train every day. With this I’m going home every day knowing I’m doing my job well, although admittedly the Colchester game was not good for me.

“If the time comes that on Saturday I do not play, it is the manager’s decision, I cannot do more."

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=45530&headline=Miguel

For some reason I cannot help but read his comments made in a Spanish accent. Is it just me?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]For those that dont read it, from Cardinal's Drinking during the Game:

Sunday Morning - Thought you might like to know that I past a Charlton player whilst out running along the river this morning. As he bounded towards me in a tracksuit and a fleecy deerstaker with his hood up, my first instinct was a boxer - his stature and the chiselled chin. The second we passed and our eyes locked I realised my mistake. Miguel Angel Llera. He must have turned around by the Cutty Sark because he overtook me later on around the outside of the Dome - I had already done five miles so it was to be expected. Good to know he keeps himself fit and doesn't rely on training sessions.

Love his attitude.

Couldn't get a game on the Saturday ......so he got up Sunday morning and pushed himself hard to compensate.
    He knows that he has to be fit and ready the moment he gets picked again..

A touch of the Kishishev's there. Respect to the player.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]For those that dont read it, from Cardinal's Drinking during the Game:

Love his attitude.

Couldn't get a game on the Saturday ......so he got up Sunday morning and pushed himself hard to compensate.
    He knows that he has to be fit and ready the moment he gets picked again..

A touch of the Kishishev's there. Respect to the player.

God I hope not, for his sake (come on Len, let's be having you ;-))
  • Options
    To be honest he has more chance of getting in the team by fighting than on football ability, though I don't have him down as likely to be a good fighter either.