Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

hunt and mendonca

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
as far as i can remember they didn't play that often together but as out an out strikers, wondered what their relationship was like on and off the field. i don't recall reading about any training ground bust ups or anything like that, so assume that everything was ok, does anybody know?

Comments

• Options
    I think the only reason they didn't play much together is they were rarely both fit at the same time. Hence, Maritn Pringle!
  • Options
    Played quite a few games actually. Around ten first season together, then half the season in the second promotion year. So all in about thirty odd games. Neither were out and out strikers, sure they could score enough but they were also excellent at holding ball and turning defenders. So would have thought both enjoyed playing together as Mendonca loved playing with a hold up man, and got kicked seven bells of shit out his thighs whatever so prob liked the extra space and drop off of attention.

As for personal relationship no idea.
  • Options
    They were both absolute class, especially Mendonca. If he had been discovered a bit earlier in his career and managed to steer clear of injuries he could've been a real top player. Such a clever player and like ColinTat said, he was brilliant at turning defenders and making space for himself. That 3rd goal in the playoff final says it all.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Neither were out and out strikers,[/quote]

it's interesting that you say neither were out and out strikers? i guess i said that, because of the amount of goals they scored on a regular basis. yes i know there was more to their game than just scoring. so, what is an out and out striker, some one who goal hangs and do they exist today?
  • Options
    In my opinion with exception to Bent, I don't think we have ever replaced Mendonca.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: tom- k[/cite]In my opinion with exception to Bent, I don't think we have ever replaced Mendonca.

I feel the same way except it's for Hunt rather than Mendonca.
  • Options
    Mendonca....... can do little wrong in my book, what he did at Charlton was one of the best things to have happened at the club in 40 years, A Charlton player I would wish to meet above any one else.

Not only his wonderful goals at Wembley, but the guy was one of the people who got us in the prem, and started those wonderful years we had a little while.

Along with Rufus, deserved an England call up.... but then I am biased
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Not only his wonderful goals at Wembley, but the guy was one of the people who got us in the prem, and started those wonderful years we had a little while.
    Doubt we'll have a squad like that for a while with so many favourites around 1997-2000. Mendonca, Hunt, Powell, Kinsella, Stuart, Rufus, Robinson and Brown managed by Curbs and Peacock. Then there's players like Ilic, Newton and Jones who played their part, and Parker, Konchesky and Lisbie all coming through from the youth team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: tom- k[/cite]In my opinion with exception to Bent, I don't think we have ever replaced Mendonca.

I feel the same way except it's for Hunt rather than Mendonca.

Me too!
  • Options
    Not forgetting Deano and Jensen! And Feeeeesh,

All once we'd came back up, but still within that time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Neither were out and out strikers,

it's interesting that you say neither were out and out strikers? i guess i said that, because of the amount of goals they scored on a regular basis. yes i know there was more to their game than just scoring. so, what is an out and out striker, some one who goal hangs and do they exist today?

McClown is an out and out striker