Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I wonder if Alan Hansen will revise his opinion!

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
West Ham were...woeful!

Comments

• Options
    If ever there were a team in need of a game of cricket.............
  • Options
    Lol!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    We lost 5-0 at West Ham one Boxing Day ?2002. Curbs rung the changes and we went on a run and climbed the table.

The window is opening and Curbs has money to burn. That 6-0 defeat maybe the worst thing that could have happened from our point of view in the context of the season as a whole.

Obviously I hope any new players Curbs signs take time to settle.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Len, I don't know you but I find your obsession with LCC rather odd.
    He was part of something that we may never see again in English football. However he was just a part, and so were you, and so was I.
    I know from your posts that you have been going for years. I cannot see how anyone who has suffered the last 3 seasons could still stick up for him so much. I fully respect the job he did for us, but I think it has been blown out of all proportion. I think he beleived he was better than he was, and this led to our Board thinking they were better than they were. All this led to our problems this season.
    Just be grateful that we have one of the best, brightest young English Managers now at our club. In my opinion he is actually the 2nd one we have had this season!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I don't have an obsession with Curbs at all. I just find it irritating when I read snide posts about Curbs and his record part of which was six seasons of mid table respectability in the Premiership. The job he did at Charlton was second to none given the resources available to him and I'm not going to blame him for our shortcomings this season in his absence.

That respect for Curbishley does not make me anti Pardew, Reed or even Dowie and I cannot recall making a post that has been critical of any of them.

All I was doing was reminding people that we had a successful run following a heavy defeat and that West Ham could do the same to our detriment.

Obviously I do not want that to happen!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yes we did have a good run after that Boxing Day Massacre. However this was a one off. We had plenty of other bad defeats after that, virtually every time we went to the North West of the country. Curbs lacked the ability to motivate the team in his last 3 or 4 years.

He said himself he was ready to go. It was the right thing to do, 18/24 months too late IMHO.

I was asked by my football friends who I wanted when Curbs went, I said Pardew. I was told he wasn't available, I said.... "You asked me who I WANTED!!"
    We got there. I supported Dowie, I know the truth behind his dismissal. The Sun got some of it right, but played up too much other matters. It was a good old fashion personality clash. He didn't keep to the agenda he'd agreed. All VERY VERY petty actually. The appointment of Reed was a complete and utter joke. Lovely man, fully qualified coach. Massive experience in football but not of dealing with the sort of "Professionals" we get today! I have met him.

It was a case of going back to what the board thought they had before.

Len, I respect Curbs. He did very well for us up to a point, however I do not think he will bring any more success to any other club than he brought us.
    Also I do not think his track record in the transfer market is really anything exceptional as you have implied.

As for Mid-Table respectability? I do not think we suffered from that very often. Our post 38/40 point form has become a national joke, and a frustration to me. If you are happy with survival at ALL costs, then we will never agree, but I guess that is Football!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]

Len, I respect Curbs. He did very well for us up to a point, however I do not think he will bring any more success to any other club than he brought us.
    Also I do not think his track record in the transfer market is really anything exceptional as you have implied.

As for Mid-Table respectability? I do not think we suffered from that very often. Our post 38/40 point form has become a national joke, and a frustration to me. If you are happy with survival at ALL costs, then we will never agree, but I guess that is Football!

DJDD,

What Curbs did at out club was, with the support of a fantastically supportive Chairman was transform us into from a nomadic club to a "established" Prem club with the benefits that brings. Anyone who thinks that is a "national joke" doesn 't understand the heirachy of football- ask any Bradford, Barnsley or any other supporter of a team that has flirted with the Premiership and suffered the hangover of not getting back

We should never ever forget this!

However, have to agree about doubting whether or not he could have taken the club any further,

Pardew is the future, and i think he has the potential to "take us to the next level". I actually see so many similarities between him and the Curbs of 8-10 years ago, with serious passion.
  • Options
    i just can't get my head around why people seem to go to such lengths to rubbish what sir alan achieved here at charlton.it seems that the minority who never supported him are stretching themselves to justify their previous witch-hunts on him.

sir alan is in our past and has moved on,hopefully we can too.the king is dead,long live the king.
  • Options
    I have not rubbished his achievements, nor would I ever. I wish people would read everything.
  • Options
    Hmmmm, tricky one here. I think both sides of the argument do have merits but there are two things about Curbs management that did really bother me...
    1) Why were his sides on either really good runs or really bad ones? It was not just in the Prem, I remember several seasons in the old Div 1 when we would be going like a train and then just collapse and not win for 13 games. What the hell is all that about?
    2) Secondly, how can a guy who signed Darren Bent, Dean Kiely and Mark Kinsella also sign Marcus Bent, Bryan Hughes and Francis Jeffers?
    Like I say, I love the guy to bits and know he played a massive, massive part in getting us here but sometimes you do wonder about what goes on behind closed doors.