Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Virgin Media or Sky TV help

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
at moment have crap tv reception pay bt for phone line and aol for broadband so thinking of chucking it all in
and get one of the above
not worried about sky sports as next door got it
worried that once loose aol will be buggers muddle to get internet and the good lady will go mental
dont wont a dish on front of house
for some reason i seem to be thinking virgin is better

so can anyone give me some advise on whats better cheers

Comments

• Options
    woops grrrr just seen wrong cat so sorry
  • Options
    I have virginmedia for cable tv, phone and broadand ... hasn't always been great but for the last year, no problems
  • Options
    Go for Virgin and wrap it all up in a bundle.
  • Options
    virgin is ok, was rubbish in terms of lost phone, or lost telly, or lost internet, but been ok for a little while now
  • Options
    We've Had Virgin media for a while, No problems at all . Broadband is fast compared to BT, I've also got a V+ box which is like Sky+ but with twice the memory we also have acess on the TV to BBC iplayer and the last weeks programmes for ITV & Ch4 .
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Just checkd my broadband speed (with Virgin) on http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/speedtest/

I have the fastest download speed by far in my postal area (7.5Mb).
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I've had Virgin Media for Internet and TV for years, since it was cable and wireless (and then nTL) live in Bromley, never had any problems.

Occasionally the internet used to go down for 1 day here and there years ago but been solid as a rock in recent times, I regulary achieve 2MB/s (2048 kb/s) download speed on their 20megabit package, which is close to the theoretical maximum.

1 megabit = 0.125 MegaByte/sec maximum theoretical download speed.
    10 megabit = 1.25MB/s maximum theoretical download speed.
    20 megabit = 2.5 MB/s maximum theoretical download speed.

TV is fine, we used to not have as good red button service as sky, but this has improved, I think the only benefit now for SKY is SKYPlayer, which allows you to watch sky online if you are one of their customers.

629403677.png
  • Options
    I have Virgin Media - broadband (up to 10mpbs or something) and telephone package. It works fine...
  • Options
    Have VM for phone and Net - Sky for TV, but once VM get all the HD content that sky offers I will switch.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Have VM for phone and Net - Sky for TV, but once VM get all the HD content that sky offers I will switch.

Like most of us would BUT hell will freeze over before Sky lets VM have Sky Sports HD.

I'm with BDL - VM for phone and 50mb internet (which noone cannot touch for miles at the moment) and Sky HD for TV. Costs more overall but you pay for what you get in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I should declare an interest, I work on behalf of Utility Warehouse. If you are in an LLU exchange area with us you can get upto 24mbs with our Broadcall service (Which Magazine Best Buy)

Three things about Virgin Media that they don't tell you

1. They have about. 90% Churn rate - people leaving (Utility Warehouse has a less than 2% churn rate)
    2. It's a myth that you have to have their telphone service at £11 a month if you have the TV package. You can just have the TV package on its own for the same price. You just have to ask them.
    3. Their phone call charges are much more than Utility Warehouse. If you become a customer of our you can sa ve up to £170 a year.

So if you want to go Virgin for you tv, that's great, make sure you don't take their telephone service and get our Broadcall service which includes line rental and broadband. Also if you transfer your gas and electricity to us you'll get free calls to UK landlines 24/7

Check out

UW
  • Options
    I've had real difficulties with Virgin Media, mainly with the Broadband. Spent a long time waiting to get through to a call centre in Delhi just to be told it's not their problem it's my wireless routers fault which has nothing to do with them, low and behold when I do pay someone £50 to come out and look at it it was their problem all along.

It's got better though, however I've got a mate who's now working for Virgin so if anything ever goes wrong he just pops over so it saves the hassle of having to stay in all afternoon waiting for their techy to turn up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]
    not worried about sky sports as next door got it
    Once connected to Virgin, you could get yourself one of these;

http://www.eurovox.org/