Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Odd way to decide a competition.

The first round of the Portuguese league cup was a group affair this year, with three teams in a group. Beira-Mar, Portimonense and Academica all drew nil nil with each other, so to decide the two teams who progressed, they did it on the average age of all players used! In the last game the canny Portimao manager brought on a very young goalkeeper in the dying seconds to pip the other two and top the group. Beira-Mar missed out with an average age of 25.474...

Bizzare or what?

Comments

• Trully bizzare, what are they doing next season? Average team height?
  • Really they should have done it on yellow and red cards or possetion.
  • What is also strange is that three matches were played just to eliminate one team out of three. In a normal knock-out competition three games would eliminate three teams out of four.

[cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Really they should have done it on yellow and red cards or possetion.

It should be done by whichever goalkeeper have to make the least saves. Which in my opinion is how we should decide all cup games in the event of a draw.
  • I guess being Portugal we should just be glad it wasn't done on who bunged the FA official the biggest brown envelope...
  • edited November 2009
    Or maybe they should just have a sensible cup format. Surely the whole point of a cup is that it's not a league!
  • Have you got a link for this? I have a Portuguese mate who I want to wind up!
  • It's no longer the European Cup, but the Champions League
    It's no longer the UEFA Cup, but the Europa League
    It's no longer the Portuguese Cup, but the Portuguese Cup-In-Which-We'll-Use-A-Strange-League-Format-With-Ridiculous-In-The-Event-Of-A-Tie-Comparison

What is going on
  • I'm no expert on these things but I think that might, just might, constitute age discrimination!
  • didn't the anglo italian cup use a league format at the early stages?
  • edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]I'm no expert on these things but I think that might, just might, constitute age discrimination!

The Portuguese have no concept of discrimination in any form HH.

Sorry no link F or D, it was in the Portugal News, I expect it's on the PFA website somewhere...
  • Sponsored links: