Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sasa Ilic in Kuala Lumpur

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
I met Sasa Ilic last night in what is probably the best known bar in Kuala Lumpur. Great guy; I had a long chat with him and I'm sure he loves telling his rags to riches tale of rising to the Premier League from non-league. a couple of interesting off the records bits of info as well.

I offered to buy him a beer but he declined. 'I'll have a vodka' was his reply. 'What with?' 'Just a vodka.'

He was in KL playing in a six-a-side Masters tournament featuring Man Utd, Liverpool, Premier League All-stars and Sheffield United. Sasa was the Sheffield keeper!

Loads of other players were in the bar as well and ex-Man Utd player Lee Martin spent most of the evening with my mates and me. Really genuinely nice guy. Ray Parlour, Viv Anderson, Brian Dean, Tommy Mooney (good laugh), Peter Davenport were among the others in there. We left at 4am, declining the offer to join the players at the late night table outside. Most were flying home today. A few sore heads methinks.

It was a totally unexpected real fun evening.

Comments

• Options
    Great story BA. I had a similar chance/drunken meeting with Steve Jones in Dublin. Not quite as glamourous, I grant you but very interesting never-the-less.

It may have been done before but a thread about chance/drunken meetings with current and former players would make for a good read!
  • Options
    Just after Ray Parlours fracas at Butlins he was playing at Welling v our reserves. Close to where I was standing he went through one of ours and I shouted to him to f off back to Butlins you w****er etc. A fusilade of abuse from me.
    Later drinking in the Welling clubhouse who walked in clutching their boot bags, you guessed it. He saw me and just gave me the stare. I shrank into my seat and looked the other way.
    He didn't buy me a drink.
  • Options
    Why wasn't I invited?
  • Options
    Sasa Ilic is great. He was superb when he was at City Addicks.

Real rags to riches story as to how he ended up with us.
  • Options
    Great story BA.
  • Options
    Sasa Ilic disappeared almost as quickly as he arrived.

I'm assuming he's retired now but where did he go after us? I know he was at Barnsley for a bit but that was years ago.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Sasa Ilic disappeared almost as quickly as he arrived.

I'm assuming he's retired now but where did he go after us? I know he was at Barnsley for a bit but that was years ago.

Before Barnsley he turned up on ITV playing in a Champions League Qualifier for a Hungarian team against Man U.
  • Options
    He had a spell at West Ham as well did he not?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Sasa Ilic disappeared almost as quickly as he arrived.

Before Barnsley he turned up on ITV playing in a Champions League Qualifier for a Hungarian team against Man U.

Some Hungarian team being the curiously named "Zalaegerszegi TE". Trying saying that with your mouth full, or even empty.

I think he got sent off in that match.

From his Wiki page he also played for: West Ham, Portsmouth, Barnsley, Blackpool, Aberdeen and Leeds.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]He had a spell at West Ham as well did he not?

I think we sent him on loan to West Ham, he played one game in which they conceded 4 and they promptly sent him back.

We have a lot to thank him for!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He played for a fair few teams after us in the Championship and League 1, don't know when he retired but saw him on Skysports: Where are they now programme and I think he has his own consultancy business now or something similar.
  • Options
    I didn't get a clear answer when I asked what he was doing now and didn't pursue the question. A bit of this, a bit of that. Plus some 6 a side masters games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]

Some Hungarian team being the curiously named "Zalaegerszegi TE". Trying saying that with your mouth full, or even empty.

I think he got sent off in that match.

From his Wiki page he also played for: West Ham, Portsmouth, Barnsley, Blackpool, Aberdeen and Leeds.

Blimey didn't realise he'd played for so many clubs. Definitely don't ever recall him playing for Leeds
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    He did- as understudy to Neil Sullivan a few years back.