Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thankyou Charlton

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]I'm soft enough to hope the gesture is true.
    Help any club in distress except millwall and palace.

What about Charlton ???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]We need the money just as much as northwich.

This is hardly true.

I doubt the match fee was much, so I think it was a gesture worth making.

Would Chelsea make the same gesture if they were playing us ??? I think we all know the answer to that..... Sorry Mogs YOU'S ha ha

But we're not a club on the brink of going out of business. If we were, then I expect Chelsea might. Either way, I don't condone that we do it for everyone, but a non league side on the brink of collapse? I'd be disappointed if we didn't, especially considering our past. I'm surprised there are even supporters who disagree on this point alone.

The money is peanuts to us; it could be the matter of life or death for them.
  • Options

This is hardly true.

Would Chelsea make the same gesture if they were playing us ??? I think we all know the answer to that..... Sorry Mogs YOU'S ha ha

But we're not a club on the brink of going out of business. If we were, then I expect Chelsea might. Either way, I don't condone that we do it for everyone, but a non league side on the brink of collapse? I'd be disappointed if we didn't, especially considering our past. I'm surprised there are even supporters who disagree on this point alone.

• Options

This is hardly true.

A good number of people working for our club lost their jobs last year to save money, to save the club. I'd imagine that sacrifice wouldn't have been so willingly made my many if they'd realised it was to fund handouts.
  • Options
    Morts isn't that what we've been doing to many many players for a good few years now? Not signing Faye would have paid for many things important to the club, and not having Faye would have improved everything at the club by an immesurable ammount.

Personally the chairmen have been paying many people out of their back pocket for a while, some people we can do and would do without. This isn't to say people deserve the sack but a company losing money hand over fist, whilst still employing some local people beyond business logic can hardly be criticised for donating what ammounts to probably less money than Mcleod or Semedo earn in two weeks.

Whether they did it or didn't do it I can't see how anyone has a right to criticise them for decisions with their own money. Yes I know I have before but I've calmed down now. Would you invest £12,500 of your own money when in all likeliood there is little chance of anywhere near 100% return on it? Because basically they've invested millions of their own money like this in the last few years; let alone last 15. I think if they have done this then they have every right to donate a tiny fraction of what they put in to good causes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Budgie doesn't like us (even though he always on here) probably won't read this thread as he only ever comments on threads that involve Palace!!

I would like to think that Charlton are this generous (we certainly were in the match anyway!)
    All the best to Northwich Victoria FC and their fans.

A little harsh pilch, I don't dislike Charlton at all, I just see you as rivals and just try to add a little harmless banter. As for not commenting on Charlton related matters, I don't feel that I have any right to comment on them, so I just like to contribute on Palace matters and non football subjects. (I'm sure a lot of you both subjects are non-football)

However if you really would like me to comment on this subject, I'm with AKFA I don't see how you can afford to be so generous, I know Palace are in a right financial mess at the moment, and I doubt if Charltons if brilliant, and so the old adage Charity begins at home, seems sound to me.

However I am notoriously tight.
  • Options
    Sorry Budgie but we're not going to pay Palace's wages this month : - )

With AFKA on this. W are counting every penny ourselves even in the £10m that has come in means we are OK for this season at least.

IF it is true then can't fault the "there's always some worse off than you" philosophy but even the amounts mentioned would have covered the £11k rumoured to have been lost by hosting the 2 FA Cup youth games at home.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]

This is hardly true.

A good number of people working for our club lost their jobs last year to save money, to save the club. I'd imagine that sacrifice wouldn't have been so willingly made my many if they'd realised it was to fund handouts.

Yes, I can see your point. Indeed, my uncle was one of those that was made redundant. And if gestures like this were made back then, it would have been a bit off. But obviously the cuts were made then to lower running costs, not to 'save the club'.

But as I see it, we are much more financially sound at the moment - in fact even then we were nowhere near the position that Northwich find themselves in now (and we haven't been for 25 years). Personally, I would be surprised if the fee was over 15k, and as a gesture to a club in a position similar to where we were 25 years ago, I think the gesture was justified. Good PR too. And indeed, as others have noted, if it came from the combined back pockets of the Directors, we are in no position to criticise, just commend.
  • Options
    As I see it we are not giving away budgeted revenue it is unbudgeted revenue and, as F Blocker says, we have had the added unexpected bonus of a share of TV money.

I don't see the problem myself.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Budgie doesn't like us (even though he always on here) probably won't read this thread as he only ever comments on threads that involve Palace!!

I would like to think that Charlton are this generous (we certainly were in the match anyway!)
    All the best to Northwich Victoria FC and their fans.

A little harsh pilch, I don't dislike Charlton at all, I just see you as rivals and just try to add a little harmless banter. As for not commenting on Charlton related matters, I don't feel that I have any right to comment on them, so I just like to contribute on Palace matters and non football subjects. (I'm sure a lot of you both subjects are non-football)

However if you really would like me to comment on this subject, I'm with AKFA I don't see how you can afford to be so generous, I know Palace are in a right financial mess at the moment, and I doubt if Charltons if brilliant, and so the old adage Charity begins at home, seems sound to me.

However I am notoriously tight.

A pat on the back to you Budgie old chap, you anwered the call! Son of Selhurst occasionally pops up on non-Palace matters and offers interesting perspectives and whisper it ...we quite like him, I was just a little curious why you didn't do the same. We comment on your club from time to time as well you know, I am sure most wouldn't mind you commenting on our's. I am sure you will keep it nice a friendly. You know I love a bit of the old banter with you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]
    Morts isn't that what we've been doing to many many players for a good few years now? Not signing Faye would have paid for many things important to the club, and not having Faye would have improved everything at the club by an immesurable ammount.

Personally the chairmen have been paying many people out of their back pocket for a while, some people we can do and would do without. This isn't to say people deserve the sack but a company losing money hand over fist, whilst still employing some local people beyond business logic can hardly be criticised for donating what ammounts to probably less money than Mcleod or Semedo earn in two weeks.

Whether they did it or didn't do it I can't see how anyone has a right to criticise them for decisions with their own money. Yes I know I have before but I've calmed down now. Would you invest £12,500 of your own money when in all likeliood there is little chance of anywhere near 100% return on it? Because basically they've invested millions of their own money like this in the last few years; let alone last 15. I think if they have done this then they have every right to donate a tiny fraction of what they put in to good causes.
    Colin, I just don't understand the logic here. If you're saying that some players earn a fortune therefore any other savings are a drop in the ocean, then it doesn't add up. From that logic RM might as well punt a bucket of tenners into the away end at the start of every home game at the valley on the basis that it's less than McLeod earns in a week.

I want to be upfront about why this concerns me. My missus was one of the cut staff. She'd taken the job a year beforehand and took a big pay cut and left a much more stable job to pursue the dream and work for her club. It was a pretty miserable year and at the end of it, she lost her job. I've got a number of problems with the way it was handled, which I don't much want to go into, but the bottom line is that we took it in good grace on the grounds that it was necessary due to the mess the club had gotten itself in and she was last in, in her department, so if someone had to go, it was her. Now as part of the process she was told that the reason for the cut was that we weren't getting promoted. I'm sure that had someone thought to mention that if we didn't go straight up that season there'd be a realistic chance that she'd been out on her arse in the middle of a recession, then she'd never have taken the thing. A more switched on employer might have been thoughtful enough to explain that to an employee about to make a big sacrifice, to join you, but no, hey-ho that's Charlton for you. Anyway they went through a process of trying to identify costs cutting to see how many of the at-risk could be saved. Cutting catering etc. I'm glad to say some came out of that, but it wasn't enough to save everyone.

We're still supporters of the club and she's still got a number of friends there and doesn't bear any bitterness (despite what may be fizzing around in the brain of the odd twisted person) about something that basically fked up her life for 6 months. You're right of course, those guys are funding the club and their decisions are final. But it would stick in my throat if, having cut things to the quick (and we've all suffered in this, every awful step we've taken in the last couple of years has been explained by a lack of money), done hand wringing speeches about how they've done everything possible to keep posts alive and how they've only lost the roles that they just couldn't keep - if the club has six months later turned into Santa and started handing out cash to the less fortunate. Yes it's a shame Northwich are in the same murk that we're in, but if this were true, I would think considerably less of the people involved. To be fair, I don't believe it, as you say they're basically funding a failing business that they want shot of out of their own pockets, so why they'd choose to fling cash at another failing operation (when I'm not aware of Premiership clubs queuing up to help us out of our folly) seems a bit unlikely.

@Si, sorry don't understand your point. Money = running costs. Making charitable donations comes out of income, which is money, which is then spent on running costs. You talk about it like they're totally different pots. Helping out someone who's in trouble is fine and dandy, but maybe it would better fall to the Chelsea, City and Uniteds of the world rather than another bunch of paupers who've had to cut their own operation back left right and centre, surely.
  • Options
    Didn't the good samaritan give everything he had to someone less fortunate than himself?

Mug.
  • Options
    Morts great post