Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Straw clutching re: our cup exit

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
Painfu, embarrassing and costly as our FA Cup exit was, and is, is there a small silver lining in that Leeds will have to play another game v Kettering and then have the, possible, massive distraction of a game v Man Utd?

Maybe a loss of focus or players holding back in league games so as not to miss Old Trafford?

Would I swap with Leeds? Oh, yes : - )

Comments

• I said this to someone yesterday that at the end of the season, if we get promoted, not being in the cups *will* have been a blessing with our smallish squad.

However, watching the draw yesterday (anyone notice Steve Redgrave looking at the numbers he was picking via the monitors. . . !) it's very sad that we're not in the 3rd round draw.

Glad Leeds have an extra game too. . .
  • Leeds have 2 more fixtures this month than ourselves, the replay against Kettering and the JPT against Accrington Stanley. It's quite feasible they will get through both of those ties, so in January they should have an extra couple of games to contend with, both of which could be derby matches for them. Man Utd away and a possible draw against Bradford. That JPT area final is over 2 legs. Their game against Tranmere on the 2nd would be moved to a midweek as well.

How many times down the years have we seen teams run away with it in the run up to Christmas, then suffer a collapse over the period? Here's hoping anyway.
  • And maybe Beckford may be off in January.
  • The be all and end all of this season is promotion, to be out of all cups before jan could be a blessing in disguise. Horrible at the time but makes sense in a strange way.
  • Yes and:-

Millwall v Derby if they beat Staines
    Huddersfield v WBA
    MK Dons V Burnley
    Preston v Colchester
    Fulham v Swindon

More games for all and hopefully distractions and injuries :-)
  • Doesn't matter anyway they're gonna finish top of the league
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]The be all and end all of this season is promotion, to be out of all cups before jan could be a blessing in disguise. Horrible at the time but makes sense in a strange way.
    Totally agree, I've been saying this to everyone who gave me guf about the Northwich Vics game. They were telling me that a team like Charlton should be holding out for a fixture against Man U or something. I was saying all along that we could do without the extra fixtures considering we only own 6 defenders and two proper wingers.
    Also, what's worth more to us? one game on telly in front of 40,000 people or every game next season being in the CCC?
    So why force such a small squad through more fixtures than absolutely nescessary.
  • It only works if we do get promoted. A win down in Brighton would go some way to making it worthwhile to sit out the Cup.
  • Leeds are not our competitors this year - our problem is going to be making sure that we do better than whatever team is third. Leeds if they play well and beat the play-off pretenders will be doing us a favour.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]And maybe Beckford may be off in January.[/quote]

Where is he going?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]And maybe Beckford may be off in January.

Where is he going?

There'll be offers to Leeds for him - probably from a team in or just above the relegation zone in the Prem or chasing promotion from the CCC. Whether they'll be big enough to tempt Bates remains to be seen.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Painfu, embarrassing and costly as our FA Cup exit was, and is, is there a small silver lining in that Leeds will have to play another game v Kettering and then have the, possible, massive distraction of a game v Man Utd?

Maybe a loss of focus or players holding back in league games so as not to miss Old Trafford?

Would I swap with Leeds? Oh, yes : - )

The Leeds result and subsequent draw couldn't have gone better for us. An extra game and hopefully they win and all their attention (players/fans) may well be on the game against United.
  • I can see it now. 3rd Round FA Cup. Half time,Manchester United-Leeds United 0-0. Ten thousand Leeds fans burst into song.....'Things can only get better'. Leeds end up losing 3-1 and slide down the table.
  • At the time of the Norwich and Saints games Parkey said he would pick his team for the MK Dons game and used squad players to fill the holes for the two cup games. That's what he did and we lost the cup games and beat MK Dons 5-1 - for that we have to congratulate Parkey for using his meagre resources effectively and stop dreaming of cup glory which we very rarely achieve.
  • Its all part of Parkinsons grand plan...............

I reckon Parkys clever.....
  • I agree with a lot of your comments but what we have in our favour is a massive squad in this league with every position covered, as for Beckford he won't go nowhere in January why would anyone pay the money Leeds would want for him when they could wait until the end of the season and get him for free, and to be honest if we get promoted i think he will sign a new contract.
  • Look, Leeds have a bad rap but to be honest Ive never hated them and actually since we did them in the playoffs 88 Ive almost had a soft spot for them .......

I would be chuffed if them and us went up.... Id rather have Leeds there that Norwich, Southampton, or any of the other percieved "big clubs"

Theve had a very bad time of things to mirro the champs semi final.... its about time....
  • I was there in 1988 in Birmingham watching the Leeds fans doing a mexican wave when they thought they had won. Arrogant twats. Blue square premier is too good for them. I would have anybody rather than Leeds, even Millwall.
  • alright then, f*&^ em........ hope elland road burns to the grown and all leeds fans are infertile!!!!!!!!
  • Does this mean that Norwich will be able to put together another good run after they were knocked out of the cup by Carlisle?

Hmmm, I'm not sure I like this theory any more.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Does this mean that Norwich will be able to put together another good run after they were knocked out of the cup by Carlisle?

Hmmm, I'm not sure I like this theory any more.

No because they are also strapped for cash and the rumour is they may need to sell in January and Hoolahan is favourite to go :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oaky white[/cite]I agree with a lot of your comments but what we have in our favour is a massive squad in this league with every position covered, as for Beckford he won't go nowhere in January why would anyone pay the money Leeds would want for him when they could wait until the end of the season and get him for free, and to be honest if we get promoted i think he will sign a new contract.

That didn't stop Man City shelling out nearly £20m for Nigel Jong in January when they could've waited 6 months to get him for free. If a club reckoned he would be the difference between staying up/relegation or promotion/staying down, someone would definitely be prepared to pay the money for him.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oaky white[/cite]as for Beckford he won't go nowhere in January why would anyone pay the money Leeds would want for him when they could wait until the end of the season and get him for free...

Not sure that I agree with your logic, he'll be offered a new contract by Leeds in the near future, if not already. If he refuses to sign it Bates may well decide to cash in while he can - most likely from a struggling prem team who are prepared to risk a few million to gain a lot more money, or Bates will decide to keep him and then risk him going for nothing at the end of the season. Maybe by late January Leeds will be so far ahead of third place that they'll risk selling him.
  • [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]At the time of the Norwich and Saints games Parkey said he would pick his team for the MK Dons game and used squad players to fill the holes for the two cup games. That's what he did and we lost the cup games and beat MK Dons 5-1 - for that we have to congratulate Parkey for using his meagre resources effectively and stop dreaming of cup glory which we very rarely achieve.

when did we play norwich in the cup ? sod it i would have gone to that one ;-)
  • edited December 2009
    If Beckford was going to go he'd have gone in the summer when they failed to go up. But he's still there. Why will he leave in January to go to a championship club when he's loved at Leeds and will more than likely be in the championship with them next season anyway. Plus not many championship clubs will match the wages he's on at Leeds.

As for Leeds blowing it, i'm not so sure, they have a big squad and Grayson has signed 5 loan players in the past month or 2 to help them cope.