Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Awards 2009

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite] Why has Andy Murray been nominated? What has he won?

Well he actually had his most successful year since turning pro. Won 6 tournaments, including 2 masters titles, reached no. 2 in the rankings before dropping to 3 and now 4 and is the highest ranked Brit since Fred Perry. So he didn't actually do badly.

But i'll admit in comparison to the likes of Button and Cavendish he shouldn't even be up there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    Why has Andy Murray been nominated? What has he won?
    Exactly. Nobody who hasn't won a major title in the last year should be considered (though he's won several minor tournaments), I completely agree.
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    Coach of the Year...I've got a suggestion. Harry Redknapp. Yeah ok, you lot all hate him with a passion but the job he has done at Spurs is nothing short of a miracle to turn us into absolute no hopers to possible top 4 contenders in a year.
    Hang on....

Coach and Sportsman of the Year is a completely different thing though. A Sportsman is supposed to win things. A Coach is there to get the best out of either his team or the Sportsman he looks after, not necessarily win trophies, although we all expect our clubs to win trophies. Tony Pulis or Owen Coyle could well be considered but are they going to win anything...not likely is it? Whether you like Harry or not, you cannot deny he has done a good job turning Spurs around.

Given what I've said, I'd actually vote for Owen Coyle. What he has done at Burnley is nothing short of a miracle. Their Carling Cup run earlier in the year...they turned over Fulham, Ars*nal, Chelsea and Spurs (being the better side over both legs apart from the 2nd half of the 1st leg)...and they beat Man Utd this season too, given he's has very little money to spend.
  • Options
    If you are going to give it to a football coach then Capello should receive it (and probably will) for getting England to the WC finals.
  • Options
    If Capello can get coach of the year for getting us to the WC finals then I should get one for getting out of bed every morning. Any half-decent manager should be able to get England to the WC finals. Granted he's got us looking quite organised but as far as I'm concerned Capello's achieved nothing yet. Coach of the year should be Coyle.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Historically the public votes for Formula 1 drivers in this.
    Button is nailed on - fact.

Why no Phil Taylor though?

didn't vote for Lewis Hamilton when he won the world title last year though did they?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Historically the public votes for Formula 1 drivers in this.

didn't vote for Lewis Hamilton when he won the world title last year though did they?

Olympic year so they got all the goodies.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]

Olympic year so they got all the goodies.

what about the year before when he was the favourite but lost out to Calzaghe?
  • Options
    but he wasnt champion that year.
  • Options
    & Darts aint sports, so nadda for no personality taylor!
  • Options
    Would like to see 17 year old Bradley Smith get Young Personality for his efforts in motorcycling's 125 cc World Championship in which he came 2nd. It'll probably go to Tom Daley though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Would like to see 17 year old Bradley Smith get Young Personality for his efforts in motorcycling's 125 cc World Championship in which he came 2nd.

agreed, what a top lad he seems too, very humble and very talented racing against some top riders too.
  • Options
    S'right mate, when those buzz bombs go into hairpin bends six abreast sometimes I can't believe they all stay on board ready for the next one! Nerves or what?
  • Options
    Might have been nice to give a nod to the England ladies cricket team - Claire Taylor or Charlotte Edwards perhaps?
  • Options
    There's a show on BBC1 now about it. I think I'd like Jessica Ennis to win it. I have no idea who she is or what she's won, but I want her to win it.

Ugh, on to Ryan Giggs now. Zzzzzz
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite] I think I'd like Jessica Ennis to win it. I have no idea who she is or what she's won, but I want her to win it.

Unreal for a 14 year old really.