Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Contract expiration - anyone else worried by the number?

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Heard somewhere there are 14 players out of contract in the summer - now I don't know who they all are but even if maybe half are 1st team regulars then I see that as a concern.

We could get promoted and have a mass exodus putting us back to square one.

I suppose there is the argument that that it keeps players on their toes but sounds risky to me

hopefully there are a number of gentlemens agreements in place though your average footballer isn't known for their loyalty is he!

Comments

• Options
    i think it's a good thing cos if we don't get promoted imo there will be a huge cutting of the cloth and not having people on contracts makes that easier.....
    if we do go up then i'm sure the better players out of contract will want to stay and play at a higher level and we can get rid of the chuff that aren't good enough for that level....
    one of the reasons we've ended up nigh on skint is cos we gave ridiculous contracts to some real shit .....
    we have to go up this year or imo we are stuck down here for the foreseeable future
  • Options
    Think it is going to be pretty much a fact of life from Championship level down now. Clubs are very rarely going to commit to contracts over 2 years maximum. They can't afford to do anything else.

And personally I think that is right. Wages are going to slowly decline and until the players get it into their thick skulls that they can't demand ridiculous (in football terms) wages anymore then they lose the luxury and 3/4/5 year contracts.

Football is changing, from the top level up in money terms we're seeing that with Pompey, Watford, Palace and a whole host of others. The sooner players, managers and boards realise the better.

Maybe it will take Pompey going into admin or a CCC club going out of business to really hit home.
  • Options
    It scares me, but I suspect in a couple of cases they'd be gone already if we hadn't hooked them up on longer contracts a few years back.
  • Options
    Yes very worried about this, hopefully most are youngsters. but have feeling will be few more eg. Sam we definately know, i would not want to lose him but am guessing unless we go up he will be gone.

worries me more so if we go up and still lose a few first teamers, as we havent exactly got the money to replace them
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Yes very worried about this, hopefully most are youngsters. but have feeling will be few more eg. Sam we definately know, i would not want to lose him but am guessing unless we go up he will be gone.

worries me more so if we go up and still lose a few first teamers, as we havent exactly got the money to replace them

I actually be more worried about losing some of the young players that are in the side.

Players like Dailly are on 1 year and at his age rightly so.

No we won't have money to replace first teamers but as shown with Dailly, Richardson, Sodje Major and Llera you don't necessarily need to pay fees to get decent players.

As WSS this is the way football is going and there will be lots of other free agents around next summer.

If we go up we can offer decent contracts to most of those PP will want to keep, if we stay down we are up a creek without a paddle and as said it will be a good thing that we can shed wages quickly.
  • Options
    Agree with Henry. I actually think all the players mentioned by Henry are very competitive champ players.

As long as we keep people like Basey who is becoming a very good player at this level; and I think will be a top central defender/defensive midfielder in the champ; I'll be happy. I'd be sorry to see Darren Randolph go but no doubt he's on money that a fully battle hardened lower league pro earns. As for the others they need to be proving their worth and we don't need players like Ben Thatcher on two 1/2 years, just in case they can't contribute. Whatever div we are we should be able to compete for free transfers and loan signings like Mooney and Sodje.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Difficult for the players. Must have been quite dispiriting seeing the likes of Moo2 on high wages and doing nothing, whilst they bust a gut for a lot less. If they think the grass is greener elsewhere, then they will go. But they seem pretty committed to Parky and each other, enjoying themselves, plus living in London is not without it's attractions. I'm just left hoping that they'll see us through to promotion and stay with us, otherwise, as Henry says, its creeks and paddle time.
  • Options
    Despite our obvious financial difficulties, I still think there are plenty of teams (even in the CCC) who are worse off than ourselves. And sometimes the grass is not greener.

For example, take Jon Fortune, reportedely earning less at Sheff Utd now than he was offered with us in the summer. Yes, he is a league higher in the Champ and if that motivates him (which it should), all the best to him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Despite our obvious financial difficulties, I still think there are plenty of teams (even in the CCC) who are worse off than ourselves. And sometimes the grass is not greener.

For example, take Jon Fortune, reportedely earning less at Sheff Utd now than he was offered with us in the summer. Yes, he is a league higher in the Champ and if that motivates him (which it should), all the best to him.

Fortune is a good example of a decent player with plenty (150 games?) of prem experience who will be out of contract in January.

May well be offered another contract at Sheff U but I would guess it would be no more than 18 months.

And I'd still have him back at Charlton now or in the summer
  • Options
    i actually meant youngsters as in, youth not necessarily ppl who are on verge of breaking through and ppl like basey would not be one of those im guessing he should be a on a bit of a longer contract

yep henry i completely agree and understand why daily, llera etc will be on 1 year contracts and does make good sense

just vital we go up really as losing alot of players with no fees would be a big blow.... fingers crossed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Basey is one of the 14 who's contract's run out next summer.

Remember a month ago he was being described as total rubbish after the JPT and FA cup games. Now he's a worry that we might lose him.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Basey is one of the 14 who's contract's run out next summer.

Remember a month ago he was being described as total rubbish after the JPT and FA cup games. Now he's a worry that we might lose him.[/quote]

Oh shit! i am not just saying this, but i have always rated him. used to have a good free kick, only worry is his pace. but he's shown this season when had the chance that he reads the game well and is a good defender, still would have youga slightly ahead of him(although start of season wouldnt have said that)
  • Options
    Basey looks like Usain Bolt in comparison to Danny Butterfield. Every goal Palace concede that I see on the Football League Show seems to stem from a move down the opposition's left.

Not too worried about contracts expiring. Lots of these players are probably on a decent wage and not many other clubs at our level could afford them, nor are many of them likely to be in that high demand when pre-contract agreements can be signed. By that point we'll have a better idea of whether promotion is likely or not as well.

Another bonus is that with so many players out of contract they will have to work hard to get another one.
  • Options
    And Fortune's contract at Sheff Utd runs out in less than 4 weeks ...... so no job security for him there, unless he's done enough to earn another.

As people have already said, it makes financial sense to keep most players on short term contracts, which is more or less the norm for this division anyway. The exceptions should be your young rising stars and those who've improved significantly to have earned a new contract - these players would have an increasing transfer fee value.

Whether we gain promotion or not is the key issue for this season - and not only dictates which players the club choose to retain, but also players who are likely to want to stay here rather than be tempted away to "bigger" clubs.

Anyway ........ players on free transfers don't come for nothing. Apart from wages, rsettling in fees, hotels/accomodation etc, there's always a negotiable lump sum signing on fee to be paid up front. And similarly, loans don't come for free either - apart from expenses paid to the player, wages in full or part/ loan transfer fees are often paid.

Sam Allardyce when at Bolton pioneered this strategy. He'd hunt down 'soon to be out of contract', proven players, make them a pre-contract offer and give them higher wages and signing on fee ......... he could afford to do this because his club rarely paid a transfer fee to the incoming player's ex-club.

Maybe this strategy could alsoexplain why Charlton have not paid a transfer fee to a club for any incoming player in the last 15 months ...... using the budget instead to offer higher wages to tempt the player?

Might explain why we've picked up players like Burton, Dailly and Richardson?
  • Options
    Not particularly worried Most (Not All) of those players are responsible for us being in this division in the first place. Most of them have found their level in League One & I believe Charlton should be at least a Second Tier Club which historically we have been.
  • Options
    The way I see it is that there are players out of contract that are not a worry and could well be released anyway- Randolph, Sinclair, J Clark, Stavinrou, McKenzie.

But there are players who whatever division we are in, would be great to keep- Sam, Semedo/Racon?, Burton, Dailly, Sodje, Richardson, Basey etc

There are then players out of contract that I would not be sad to see leave but think if we tried we could get some money for them before the summer- McLeod, Dickson if they are both out of contract.

Hopefully by Jan, our finances may allow us not only to get A Sodje for longer but also to try to get a couple of players on longer contracts.