Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cycling to the Valley

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Never done it before, but circumstances dictate this may be a requirement from now on.

Anyone else done it? Anyone have any advice? Where to "park" the bike during the game? Etc, etc, and so on and so forth...

Comments

• Options
    Think there are bike parks just to the right of the Charlton MegaSuperStore as you enter the West Stand.
  • Options
    Yup I cycle to most games, there is cycle parking next to the shop, advice, don't have to many beers!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: superclive[/cite]Yup I cycle to most games, there is cycle parking next to the shop, advice, don't have to many beers!
    I haven't seen the cycle parking, are there usually plenty of spaces available?
  • Options
    Read that as 'crying' for some reason!

'Never done it before'
  • Options
    I wonder how long of a cycle it'd be for me? Rh6 to se7?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    According to TFL and Google, it takes 1hr 20 mins to drive and 9 hours and 20 mins to walk from RH6 to SE7.
    Somewhere in between by bike I'd assume...........
    ;-)
  • Options
    Lol cheers mog. As it's me and millwall being my next game I'd best leave now lol!
  • Options
    There are cycles racks as said before just to the right of the store. But I have found they get full if you leave it too late. I have left items like pump, lights etc on bike and they were still there when I returned. I cycled from Marylebone, took exactlyt he same amount of time as the TfL cycle map said it would. However, the map was 20 pages long and took some following the first time, trying to turn the page, read the map and dodge the traffic!!!
  • Options
    I cycle too. If you get there too late it's a bugger to find anywhere to lock it. I sometimes end up locking the bike on the barrier opposite the square in Harvey Gardens. Never had any problems.

Would be nice if teh club put in more places to park bikes - there seem to be more people doing nowdays.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: JorgeCosta[/cite]I cycle too. If you get there too late it's a bugger to find anywhere to lock it. I sometimes end up locking the bike on the barrier opposite the square in Harvey Gardens. Never had any problems.

Would be nice if teh club put in more places to park bikes - there seem to be more people doing nowdays.

That's what Bojo likes to hear!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I did cycle to the Valley when I was 11, so that was 28 years ago. Cycled from Kidbrooke to the Valley East upper and got in for free 10-15 minutes before half time. Watched the game from the top of the East Terrace (up in the clouds) while sitting on my bike. Those were the days!
  • Options
    Yup u need 2 b there for 2 230
  • Options
    Are the only bike parking stands those by the shop?
    I'll be in the East Stand. Is there anywhere secure to park in Lansdowne Mews? 
    It would save me a bit of a hill climb if there is.
  • Options
    danny777 said:
    Lock up by the big Marks and Spencers. Several bike stands there.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    iainment said:
    danny777 said:

Could this be the least helpful answer ever given on Charlton Life?
    If the club shop, at one corner of the ground, is inconvenient, why would anyone want to go all the way to M&S?

To answer my own original question, there are 10 bike racks, with capacity for 20 bikes, at the Sam Bartram turnstiles in Lansdowne Mews, just inside the security gates. Plenty of room for motorbikes as well.

• Options
    Bit rude mate 
  • Options
    I've just got q half season ticket in the east. am I able to go into the ground at landsdown mews turnstiles ?
  • Options
    danny777 said:
    iainment said:
    danny777 said:

If the club shop, at one corner of the ground, is inconvenient, why would anyone want to go all the way to M&S?

To answer my own original question, there are 10 bike racks, with capacity for 20 bikes, at the Sam Bartram turnstiles in Lansdowne Mews, just inside the security gates. Plenty of room for motorbikes as well.

Perhaps if you have a question that needs answering in the future, do your own research first rather than ask a question and then criticise someone who has taken the time to offer an answer?
  • Options
    I've just got q half season ticket in the east. am I able to go into the ground at landsdown mews turnstiles ?
    That was my entry point yesterday.
    A steward standing outside looked at but didn’t scan my NHS dotted square on my mobile telephone, but asked to see my (season) ticket at which point a laser was produced and flashed over the bar code lines.
    I was then encouraged to proceed through one of the turnstiles which clicked in a free unrestrained way and allowed me into the ground.
  • Options
    Ask nicely if you can chain it to the tow bar of the food stall opposite the club shop?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    great answer! Thanks Seth
    I'm quite excited about entering through there! 

on a kind of related note, has anyone else seen the young lad who sells sweets as you walk down that way. absolutely brilliant, pound a bag, kids love it and he's got a great little business going 😀

seth plum said:
    That was my entry point yesterday.
    A steward standing outside looked at but didn’t scan my NHS dotted square on my mobile telephone, but asked to see my (season) ticket at which point a laser was produced and flashed over the bar code lines.
    I was then encouraged to proceed through one of the turnstiles which clicked in a free unrestrained way and allowed me into the ground
  • Options
    danny777 said:
    iainment said:
    danny777 said:

It’s where I lock up when I cycle to the Valley. For a couple of reasons,

• I’m wary of parking up where hordes of people walk past the bike in case someone damages it. This is why I also skip the bike stands by the station entrance.

• I usually meet someone there and have a coffee in the Costa there.

Sorry if I don’t pass your test but hey that’s life.

Is your New Years resolution to use hyperbole whenever you can? I hardly think my reply was the least helpful answer ever given on Charlton Life even if you were unaware of my reasons.
  • Options
    I saw the nice lad on the lane. I demurred politely and he said ‘have a nice day’. I will check his sweets are vegetarian next time, and if they are will buy a bag for a quid.