Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What Happened To The Old Parts Of The Valley?

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
I was looking at some old photos and it set me thinking about how different the ground is now. No floodlight pylons; No old fashioned main stand complete with arches; No Portacabins; Turnstiles that weren't the full length snap at your heels style. Where is all that old stuff? Was it all sold off as scrap, or has some of it found new homes? I know that stuff like floodlights and turnstiles are often sold on to clubs further down the food chain and that many non-league clubs boast ex-league furniture, but what of our cast-offs; can any of it still be seen or has it all been melted down to make Nissans. Are there any builders out there that ever had a bright red site office. Or perhaps there's someone with an original Valley urinal taking pride of place in their bathroom.

Comments

• Options
    We sold the turnstyle to Newcastle just before our return to The Valley. ;-0) .The old east terrace is still there under the new east stand.
  • Options
    floodlights were sold to a non league side.

Begins with B,
  • Options
    The original '61 lights went to Biggleswade.

The '92 lights were found missing after a home game against Gillingham ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: GlassHalfFull[/cite]The original '61 lights went to Biggleswade.

The '92 lights were found missing after a home game against Gillingham ;)

LOL!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Just found this, it looks like some of the lights could have moved (or be moving to) Codicote. They look rather different in the picture to my memory: I guess Biggleswade didn't have space for the original pylons.

http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/clubdocuments/clubdocument-51687-8701.pdf
  • Options
    The 92 pylons ended up at Bournemouth
  • Options
    I misread the headline - I thought it said 'Old Farts'
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]I misread the headline - I thought it said 'Old Farts'

Good question!
  • Options
    I've got a row marker from the old West Stand - anyone else liberate something at the clean up days?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: h[/cite]I've got a row marker from the old West Stand - anyone else liberate something at the clean up days?

I know someone who has the sword from one of the original gates.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Half a square metre of the original valley pitch is in my mum and dads old house in Bickley lol
  • Options
    I have a clothes hook from the old home dressing room.
  • Options
    Had the contract for taking the scrap metal after demo off site. All went over to Mayer Parry at Canning Town,cut to 5ft lengths and taken down to Sheerness steel works where it would have been furnaced and turned into girders or re-bar or road surface strenghtening mesh. The light iron would have gone to Ridham dock and been fragmented and sent to Spain to come back as Ford Fiestas.

The glamour of it all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Penfolds Perm[/cite]Had the contract for taking the scrap metal after demo off site. All went over to Mayer Parry at Canning Town,cut to 5ft lengths and taken down to Sheerness steel works where it would have been furnaced and turned into girders or re-bar or road surface strenghtening mesh. The light iron would have gone to Ridham dock and been fragmented and sent to Spain to come back as Ford Fiestas.

The glamour of it all.

I never realised just how interesting scrap metal was ;0)

Interesting tho
  • Options
    One set of the goal posts ended up in The Valley Club
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: h[/cite]I've got a row marker from the old West Stand - anyone else liberate something at the clean up days?

I know someone who has the sword from one of the original gates.

I've got one which takes pride of place on the mantlepiece
  • Options
    They are still serving the beer :-)
  • Options
    Norwich United a tier 9 team have some of our old seats
  • Options
    I have two clothes hooks from the home dressing room liberated at the clean up day. I sliced them off the wall with a shovel and also got some off for others in there at the same time! Maybe your one Guru?
  • Options
    didn't welling end up with some of the old covered end seats in the right hand side of their main stand following our return
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]didn't welling end up with some of the old covered end seats in the right hand side of their main stand following our return

They did and they are still there!
  • Options
    For of my mates maanged to liberate the entire written history of the club from about 1939 - 1960.

Players contracts, tickets, letters to other clubs etc. It had all been left in a filling cabinet and would have gone up in smoke wiht everything else when our caravan loving friends set fire to the place
  • Options
    I have sat in the seats at norwich uniteds ground. Played there when i was younger. If only i be known that i was sitting on a part of the old valley. My grandad (raymond brimacombe) and his brother (lenny) were interviewed by the slp during the clean up of the valley. Their interview was on the back page. Big picture of the pair of them. Tried to find it on the net somewhere but no luck
  • Options
    well dave mehmet and a friend of TCE's have both got 1, but there are at least 20 swords missing in this picture. who else has 1?

(PBS doesn't as he was caught, hacksaw in hand, by the police)
  • Options
    Not really part of The Old Valley, But was removed the night of the last game ; )
  • Options
    Is This Something In The Nature Of What You Are Lookin For Ray ?
  • Options
    You thieving Git, Thats mine.
  • Options
    Dream On
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    "Floyd Road street sign from TCE above"

By the way, If anyone wants a good (not exact, but very good) replica of this sign ask me and I can put you in touch with the guy who does the street signs for Eastenders etc - I have had a few off him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]"Floyd Road street sign from TCE above"

By the way, If anyone wants a good (not exact, but very good) replica of this sign ask me and I can put you in touch with the guy who does the street signs for Eastenders etc - I have had a few off him.

Over here PL54, please. but what do you mean by not exact?