Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What about Algeria?

edited December 2009 in Other Football and Sports
The previous thread re "how many Americans know they have drawn England" the same question could be asked of the Algerians. I have been through Algeria and its a dodgy place not the sort of place i would ever go back to or recomend anyone go there. I went on a Sahrah tour through Morocco, Algeria, Tunisa and Libya and politically they could not have gotten two countries the Algerians dislike more (bar France maybe) i am aware polotics should not come into the WC but when i watched the draw and saw Algeria getting involved i did start asking questions. How many do we think even know their in the WC not many i would wager.

Comments

• Options
    Considering the scenes in Trafalgar Square when they qualified - i'd guess a fair few know.
  • Options
    Judging by the pictures of the riots before, during & after the final group game against Egypt - i would say quite a few.
  • Options
    I'd bet that just about every Algerian in Algeria knows plus all of the people of Algerian descent in France and elsewhere.

Huge event for them and not just for football reasons.
  • Options
    Well i hope so because as you say henry its a massive event for them only the second time they have ever quailfied isn't it??? Just know what the place is like and when i was there it seemed the last thing on their minds was football.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Well i hope so because as you say henry its a massive event for them only the second time they have ever quailfied isn't it??? Just know what the place is like and when i was there it seemed the last thing on their minds was football.

How long were you there and when?

How many matches did you go to?
  • Options
    Fair play i diddnt go to any football out there. I was in Algeria for about a month in 2005. So i supose im only talking from my own experiences just really diddnt picture them as a nation who would care for sport but maybe im wrong. Bougerra will be there for them i guess?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'd quite like them to go through (behind us of course). I have this glorious vision of Bougherra scoring a blinder in the final minute to dump out the USA
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]I'd quite like them to go through (behind us of course). I have this glorious vision of Bougherra scoring a blinder in the final minute to dump out the USA

That would amuse me too i have to admitt. They are more exotic than most teams who play in the WC e.g. Sloveinia.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I fancy Slovenia to go through in 2nd behind us. They beat Russia in the playoffs - Guss Hiddink's Russia!We only beat them 2-1 earlier this year as well, albeit in a friendly. Algeria will finish bottom and will be lucky to get a single point in my opinion.
  • Options
    England 9
    Slovenia 4
    USA 4
    Algeria 0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wouldnt mind seeing Slovenia get through ahead of the US but i think it would amuse me more to see Algeria there.

I dont think we should be so cocky though yes we are doing well atm as good as i have ever seen an England team (bar 1990 - 96 maybe) but if history is anything to go on we have an easy group and have a real chance to be the bottle jobs again and embaress ourselvels allot especially as the press over here hype us up to the max.
  • Options
    i have an algeria shirt with bougherra on the back. it's class.
  • Options
    Haha that is class i would like to see it :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Also a mate of mine did something wired a few years back and got a international top from each country who had won the world cup so he has:

Uruguay,
    Italy,
    France,
    Brazil,
    England,
    Argentina,

He refuses to buy a Germany one as he hates them (fair enough) hes been following England for years but now he just enjoys going to tournements mainly he waits for the WC but has been known to appear at european tournements too which is pretty cool if you have the money :-)