Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Essay Help Please

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Hello All

I would be greatful for any help you could provide. I am currently writing an essay on the way that the football fanzine has been lost to the internet. I would appreciate any views you have on why you think the fanzine has dissappeared and whether you think there is still a place for it in modern society. Also as to why you think that there are so many blogs about football and whether or not you think they are useful. Also Does anyone know when Voice of the Valley ceased publishing?
I can place any quotes into my essay Anonymously or I can mention you as a quote if you don't mind.
Being a typical student I have left this untill the last minute so the quicker the response the better.

Thank you very much
Owen Green

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StudentAddick[/cite]

Thank you very much
    Owen Green

I thought all sudents were called Owen Money.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: StudentAddick[/cite]

Thank you very much
    Owen Green

I thought all sudents were called Owen Money.

Very Big ;-)

;o)
  • Options
    Or they are all called Student Grant.

Essentially in the pre-net era the only way you could access news and share opinions on your local football club was through a local newspaper, gossip from friends and the matchday programme. If you supported a big team then it's likely that you could find out information from the national daily/sunday press, but that wasn't an option for many smaller clubs.

The PC revolution enabled (along with desk top publishing) for people to share news and opinions across a wider field. In some ways football was a relative late comer - the concept of the fanzine had been around for a lot longer in music and non-mainstream media sources for sometime.

Obviously now we are in the internet era e-mail bulletins and websites such as this cater for the day-to-day information needs and the by the time that you read something in print it's either old news or has been superceded by an update.

Is there a place for it - yes, but not on the same model as before. After all matchday programmes still seem to sell well, but to succeed a fanzine has to offer something that you can't readily get off the internet - perhaps more articles, reviews of matches, opinions on players/opponents etc.
  • Options
    As you have said the internet killed the fanzine.

Blogs and message boards now offer the fan lead, uncontrolled, non-club controlled writing that fanzines did and they are more interactive and instant.

Shame in someways are the internet also lends itself to quick, short responses not longer, more considered pieces but I think the fanzine's time has passed just as programmes are in decline and possibly would stop were they not part of the tradition of the game for many.

Football has also changed. When fanzines first crossed over from music football was still a bit of an outsider pastime. This was pre-gazza's tears or the prem and fans views were rarely if ever seen or heard in the media. Fanzines were the only way to be heard. Now phone ins, message boards, blogs etc all give that.

Now football is seen as a respectable thing to like and write about when before for many people outside the "traditional" support it wasn't.

Fanzines were the only way to be heard. Now phone ins, message boards, blogs etc all give that.

If you watch Soccer AM or read 442 they are very much influenced by Fanzine style. Silly jokes/pictures of players with silly irreverent captions, lists of best/worst, articles on football from a fans point of view. See the fans of the week on Soccer AM or the More than a game feature in 442. Fanzines style and ideas have been adopted into the mainstream. thesis antithesis synthesis if you want a nice model for your essay. You'll have to look it up. Was it Hegel?

I think there are lots of blogs on football because there are lots of blogs on everything. Most aren't, IMHO, that interesting or well written but that is the case with most things. It's very hard to write consistantly well on one topic but especially when there is so much other coverage. Most people will have seen the goals on TV or read the managers quotes so what is left?

Seem to remember VOTV carried on until about 2001/2 but by then was being published "within" the club. Airman Brown will know the correct dates.
  • Options
    I would have thought Airman Brown may be able to give you a few pointers.
  • Options
    What did "Airman Brown" ever do for us ?

;-)
  • Options
    Lets hope your uni dosen't have this site down in its plagarism check!!!
  • Options
    not plagerism if he quotes us.

Would count as primary research ; - )
  • Options
    It seems to me that there were two types of fanzine, with considerable crossover in-between. There were funny fanzines and campaigning fanzines. I think the funny ones died a death because they ceased to be funny any more. There's only so many jokes, lookalikes, and lists of top ten this that and the other that you can do and still find it amusing. It's a bit like Viz magazine, if you've never seen it before then it's every bit as good as it ever was, but if you've read dozens of them in the past, you get to a stage where all you get is a "so what" feeling.

As for campaigning ones, you'd think that there's more reason for fanzines now than there ever was (obviously with Charlton as an exception). Loads of clubs are under the very real threat of going under, so why aren't there lots of campaigning fanzines? I'm not sure that blogs and other forms of social media are really to answer to this one. Football finances are so huge now that there doesn't seem to be any hope of fans "doing it for themseleves anymore". Instead of actually campaigning, all anyone does is bite their nails and hope for a new sugar daddy: If only we had a chairman rich enough, we'd have nothing to worry about! When that is your philosophy you don't need a fanzine - because your hopes are all pinned on someone else sorting things out for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If u havnt seen it already if you can get ur hands on the november issue of Four Four Two there was a good 4/5 page article on this.