Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gold - a safe haven?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]if he was involved and brought Karen Brady in is that the Spanners absolutely hate her!

What about HMRC and the City police too!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm one of those who has more than 2,000 unread messages in the TAKEOVER thread, so I may have missed
    a point or three.

But it strikes me that David Gold is not necessarily all about buying and taking over the club as such ..... but
    buying into it. In my book, that may not be quite the same thing.

So Gold and co, would be major investors bringing in hopefully fresh finance - to work alongside some of the existing directors.

It would be a similar model that he worked with at Birmingham City.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]However, what I can see is Gold putting some money into the Club (whether as owner or part owner - he was only a part owner of Birmingham) helping us stabilise for the short to medium term, assist us in strengthening our league position over 3-5 years and then making us a preferred option should there be more wealthy backers a few years down the line; whether that be British or overseas. It's what de did successfully at Birmingham.

[cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]But it strikes me that David Gold is not necessarily all about buying and taking over the club as such ..... but
    buying into it. In my book, that may not be quite the same thing.

So Gold and co, would be major investors bringing in hopefully fresh finance - to work alongside some of the existing directors.

It would be a similar model that he worked with at Birmingham City.

Do try and keep up Oggy........

:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]people seem to be fairly sure David Gold is. The general mood seems to be 'when can you start?'

I'm not so sure. It is not at all clear to me how much David Gold actually invested in Birmingham. But it is fairly clear that the admission prices went sky high. And that nobody talks about Birmingham as a force for good in the game in the way that they have done and still do about Charlton. Would he allow a Supporters' Trust? Would he turn up and talk at Bromley Addicks the way RM has done through the good times and the bad?
    As for Karen Brady. Where is the evidence that she is a good -as opposed to a high profile - CEO.? Seems to me that she has a high profile because she is the first female CEO in senior football, has big tits, and had an affair with a City player. What else? heaven knows I am not much impressed with Steve Waggott, but in fairness, I see no evidence whatsoever that Karen Brady would be any better.

Careful what we wish for, methinks...

Richard for some odd reason you personally never gave Steve Waggot a chance from the word go....I've 'never ever' understood why??
    Evidently Richard, he's well liked and does a good job.I've met him myself a couple of times and he seems like a really decent fellow....PV was a hard act (almost impossible in fact) to follow but the guy has done a good job under trying circumstances....and I've not heard anyone at The Valley say otherwise.
    He of course had the misfortune of having to give notice to a few bods at a very awkward time in the clubs history, which just maybe didn't help him in his new position....but had PV been around he would have had to do the same.
    Seasons greetings by the way Richard.

On a point of process, I'm not aware of anyone who blames Steve Waggott for the redundancies and in fact the the club were at pains to locate responsibility for the decision-making with a group of (other) directors so that is a complete red herring.

Errrm Airman, did I say anyone blamed him directly....of course he didn't make those decisions alone that's perfectly clear and has been public knowledge almost from day one....I just used it as an example as to why he may have not been flavour of the month with 'some folk' (almost no sooner had he arrived), in having to lay folk off under his stewardship.... ....I did say 'maybe' .
    A 'red herring' ,why on earth would I want to do that??!
  • Options
    Why does eveyone keep going on about really high ticket prices? According to this site http://english-premier-league.suite101.com/article.cfm/english_premier_league_ticket_prices_0910.They charge betwwen £25 and £35 a game. For a prem team thats not to dear and they are one of the cheapest in that division. Arsenal charge between £33 and £96
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Why does eveyone keep going on about really high ticket prices? According to this sitehttp://english-premier-league.suite101.com/article.cfm/english_premier_league_ticket_prices_0910.Theycharge betwwen £25 and £35 a game. For a prem team thats not to dear and they are one of the cheapest in that division. Arsenal charge between £33 and £96

Gold attacks Birmingham decision to cut prices
  • Options
    Are we all jumping to some very big conclusions here ?
  • Options
    What we ideally want is a Randy Lerner type - a billionaire who seems to genuinely like the sport and yet is happy to let his manager run the club the way he sees fit and someone who doesn't bring any adverse baggage with him.

The chances of getting a benefactor like that are slim to zero, it could be that Gold is our best option - someone with football club ownership experience and yet happy to delegate to a CEO the day-day running of the club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]What we ideally want is a Randy Lerner type - a billionaire who seems to genuinely like the sport and yet is happy to let his manager run the club the way he sees fit and someone who doesn't bring any adverse baggage with him.
    I've always liked the way he's done things at Villa, the fact that he is American doesn't matter. As well as what you said, they're also still trying to bring through their academy players as well as spending money when they need it. They're slowly improving rather than trying to throw money at the club then demand instant success.

Like you say though that's unlikely. If Murray and the rest of the board think Gold is right for the club I'll trust them with that decision.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The fact's of the matter are simple whether some like to say it or not. Charlton Athletic ARE a big football club (Not Man U/Liverpool big-but who is? But definately top 20-30 club in the country big) . The club has plenty going for it- an interesting history,recent prolonged Premier League status (unequalled by ANY other South London club in modern times) great community work, a friendly (associated with all that is good in the game) club, quality fan's that back the club no matter what the league, first class stadium, great training facilities and a top notch youth system that is the envy of many a club up and down the football scale, we are fantastically located in an area of tremendous growth and regeneration and right next to the Olympic site, couple that with going great in the league and even at 3rd tier status Charlton are clearly ripe for resurrection (and I don't mean being mid table Championship fodder that is so acceptable to certain clubs we could mention). We have a quality Chairman who has always given his level and honest best for our club and it's fans- bit's have failed (we all know which bits) and other bits have risen the profile of this club in a way that was utterly unthinkable in the dark days at Sellout Park.I cheer the man til my lungs burst!
    I think Richard and Co have given all that is humanly possible to give and in doing so he has made Charlton Athletic a club to be truly proud of and increased it's worth tenfold. But right now in this time of financial struggle I feel investment from an outside source is so desperately needed that I would be happy if David Gold does come aboard- either as rich benefactor and leaves the chain of command untouched or whether he assumes full control, I have had my reservations but the truth is if we are to prosper and flourish again (as we deserve to do) we must see what he would like to do with this club. If that means that the ticket prices rise (hopefully not outrageously) and we see a rise in success then so be it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i'd rather keep murray and co than be forced to take this lot, are we really staring down the barrel of gun, particularly if we get promoted.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oggy/Addickted

Hope you are right. Not sure if you are. Rich businessmen tend to want to be the boss, especially if they are there because the previous boss is percieved to have fessed up.

Razil

the problem is that the extra TV money in the "Champ" is only 3m. And I reckon only about eight of our current squad could cut it in the league above (but that's probably another topic)
  • Options
    If Gold takes us on board it won't be because he wants to make a tidy profit down the line. You have to have something missing upstairs to take on a football club these days. It is the quickest way to lose money that I can think of, apart from a trip to the bookies. Gold was very lucky to get out of Brum with his money. Methinks the Asian guy got bedazzled by Karen's boobies!
    Gold might be attracted by our homely image. After all we are on the side of the angels. Now if Gold really wants to rot in Hell he should takeover Millwall!
    If he had patience, he would wait for Wham, because they are a yo yo club and will fall again, sooner rather than later. To be fair, I think they are a much bigger outfit than us and would be a great buy in admin. To mix my metaphors again, will he wait for his bride or marry the bridesmaid?
  • Options
    Screw West Ham, it's our turn now!
  • Options
    If Gold were to buy Palace he knows that he'd have to spend well over £10m renovating the place - on top of even a cut price deal that makes Palace more expensive to buy than Charlton and more of a long-term headache than a project. Then there are debts, the best players being hawked off etc.

If he buys Charlton - no need to spend anything on renovating the stadium just now - just maintenance, and most of the belt-tightening has taken place with a slimmed down squad, few players on long contracts with stupid amounts of money being paid a week. Off the park the admin side has been reduced to meet our current means and the re-organisation of the club means that it should be relatively easy to negotiate a deal. Plus we look likely to get promoted putting us potentially one season away from the Prem.

West Ham, in theory a nice club to buy for him, but probably a very inflated wage bill and I doubt that Gold would want to acquire a club that isn't being run to his financial strictures.

Then again, maybe he's using us to persuade West Ham's owners that if they don't negotiate soon that he'll walk away.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

If he buys Charlton - no need to spend anything on renovating the stadium just now - just maintenance, and most of the belt-tightening has taken place with a slimmed down squad, few players on long contracts with stupid amounts of money being paid a week. Off the park the admin side has been reduced to meet our current means and the re-organisation of the club means that it should be relatively easy to negotiate a deal. Plus we look likely to get promoted putting us potentially one season away from the Prem.

Spot on.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

If he buys Charlton - no need to spend anything on renovating the stadium just now - just maintenance, and most of the belt-tightening has taken place with a slimmed down squad, few players on long contracts with stupid amounts of money being paid a week. Off the park the admin side has been reduced to meet our current means and the re-organisation of the club means that it should be relatively easy to negotiate a deal. Plus we look likely to get promoted putting us potentially one season away from the Prem.[/quote]

Spot on.[/quote]

Hey but what about replacing the big screen which is dying of a thousand pixelled cuts.....
  • Options
    Yep that needs fixing too!
  • Options
    The club needs financial investment to survive and grow, RM and his team have done a marvellous job reserecting the club from the wastes of Selhurst but they no longer have the financial abilty to provide that investment.

Mr Gold has the finance that we need and a background in English football so that he understands what our club represents. He is a successful businessman and I doubt he would consider Chalton unless he "buys" into the Charlton way as it would not make sense. As others have said our club is ideally situated geographically and football-wise is well positioned for growth.

So with not too much investment he could be part of a well respected successful club which at his stage of life will give him enjoyment and us a club with a future and I would hope the continued leadership of RM.

If such investment is to take place then it must be before the next transfer window closes to enable this season to continue successfully.
  • Options
    Can't see it happening personally.If we fail to get out of this league come what May then we could be down here for a hell of a lot longer.Don't think we are a viable prospect for any investor with a brain at the moment.Need to get promoted first imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Can't see it happening personally.If we fail to get out of this league come what May then we could be down here for a hell of a lot longer.Don't think we are a viable prospect for any investor with a brain at the moment.Need to get promoted first imo.

Why was Gold here on Saturday then ? He should have been at W Ham v Man U.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]i'd rather keep murray and co than be forced to take this lot, are we really staring down the barrel of gun, particularly if we get promoted.

Yes, they've run out of money, I thought we all knew that.

Having said that the ideal scenario for RM would be for someone else to put in a shed load of money and let him continue as Chairman.
  • Options
    If David Gold was to buy Charlton, he would come here with the sole aim of getting us back into the premier league. I feel in the current economic climate and with the state of premiership finances this may be our only chance of getting back to the premier league. David Gold has proved successful at Birmingham and although probably not the most ideal candidate to buy the club, he is certainly better than others.
  • Options
    Gold is the ideal candidate .... providing there is something in it for him.
    And something in it for us.
  • Options
    Comments from Uncle Ron Noades:

Noades has also admitted he wanted former Birmingham City owner David Gold to buy the club after he was strongly linked with takeover.

That looks unlikely now though with Gold understood to have turned his to attentions Palace's south London rivals Charlton Athletic.

"I was rather hoping David Gold was going to buy it," said Noades.

"But I understand he was at Charlton on Saturday which is a shame as I think Palace are a better prospect than Charlton Athletic."
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/westham/6763921/David-Gold-and-David-Sullivan-set-to-make-takeover-offer-for-West-Ham.html

If you believe this (and no reason not to), looks likely that RM & Co will be talking turkey over Xmas.
  • Options
    First bit of genuine info imho.
  • Options
    "Neither Gold nor Sullivan is confident that a deal will go through and, it is understood, the pair have earmarked a move for Charlton Athletic as an alternative. It is believed that a deal for the League One club may be agreed by the beginning of next month."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Comments from Uncle Ron Noades:

"But I understand he was at Charlton on Saturday which is a shame as I think Palace are a better prospect than Charlton Athletic."

Who went to the rest home that houses this tosser?? Confirms (as if needed) what this Berkeley Hunt knows about football. One season above us in the dizzying heights of the Championship and us in League 1 does not a bigger club make.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Or that he's stirring...

Noades and Jordan don't get on and maybe he's seen this as an opportunity to rub it in a little.