Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Cross Junk Shop

edited December 2009 in Not Sports Related
In trying to avoid the B'wall tunnel problems recently, one of my journeys took me along the A20 Lewisham Way towards New Cross & Goldsmiths College. Somewhere between Loampit Hill and the Lewisham Way junction with Florence Road I noticed a large junk type place on the right outside of which stood of all things what looked like a full size model of the Predator (as in the Arnie film) made out of wrought iron. I couldn't stop to investigate so has anyone else seen this apparition and if so do you know the name of the shop or the phone no. Saw one somewhere years ago soon after the film came out but it was extremely expensive, can't think a rusty one from New Cross could be that much. It would look good in the garden, next to the bird table perhaps. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Thought this was a thread about Millwall's 'Ground'!
  • Options
    Drive past it everyday to Peckham for work dude, and that is indeed a full size predator dude made from wrought iron!! Will see if i can get a number for you dude.
  • Options
    I used to cycle past that shop until I recently worked out a quicker route to and from work. There are a few propmakers in the area so it mat well have been used in an exhibition/play/rave or some such event.
  • Options
    Anyone remember a comic book shop in new cross in the late 70's I think???
  • Options
    Thanks MCS, appreciated. Just the name of the place would help: feel sure they'd be in the book. Cheers. (P.S. Do you think Mrs M would like it for Christmas? Take some wrapping up though! : )
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Here's the little beauty in all his resplendent glory!

The place is called Furniture Junktion.

Strange shop, been there forever, although I've never been in but have always wanted to...

**Image removed due to hosting site being cack**
  • Options
    The shop seems to be part of an interesting pair of Victorian wooden cottages?

Or is it an old railway building, perhaps?
  • Options
    used to sell fireplaces to them
  • Options
    By all accounts they've had the local council trying to shut them down for ages cos of the amount of gear they leave on the pavement. Proper Steptoe & Son!!! 'Arrooooold!!!
  • Options
    Isn't this the one? http://www.welovelocal.com/en/london/lewisham/new-cross/furniture-shops/bargain-junction-se137sx.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]Anyone remember a comic book shop in new cross in the late 70's I think???

Yeah on the one way system with the big spiderman painting over the door..it may be my memory playing tricks but i'm sure it was called The Forbidden Planet?
  • Options
    Thats the one. Although it was called weird fantasy and it was the first proper comic book shop in london FACT. It was my grandads shop. Forbidden planet is in town and in brighton i think.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]The shop seems to be part of an interesting pair of Victorian wooden cottages?

Or is it an old railway building, perhaps?
    not wishing to be accused of being a trainspotter but.......

The junk shop station

Hi Alex, thanks for that ..... I've just spent 10 interesting minutes trawling through the website pictures.
    So the junk shop is in fact the old Lewisham Road station building.

There was a similar station building junk shop at the old Brockley Lane station on the same railway branch line, but destroyed in a big fire in 2004.

The line was built by a rival company to the one that built the direct line between London Bridge and Greenwich - when the 2 companies declared a truce and merged in 1899, the branch line soon became unnecessary.

Part of the line still exists in use between Lewisham to Nunhead, but the rest was abandoned.
    The new Ibis Hotel in Greenwich is built on the old Greenwich Park terminus station site.

Not much to do with trainspotting, but fascinating industrial archeology all the same.

Edit: I'll open this up, because I'm sure March 51 and others will be interested.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the info, folks. Yes interesting Rob, I'll get me books out tonight (sort of then and now stuff) and see what I can find on this. Memo to self: wear anorak and Charlton scarf if visiting junk emporium!
  • Options
    I think Dave Courtney is a big client of theirs....LOL!!
  • Options
    March, place is called Aladins Cave, and the road is Loampit Vale. The predator thing wasn't out this morning when i drove past it at half 5!! But i have seen it, mental thing!! Mrs March would love it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I think Dave Courtney is a big client of theirs....LOL!!

Oh, and LOL
  • Options
    Thanks Ollie, hopefully I'll have a London job this week and I'll have time to call in. Cheers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Thanks Ollie, hopefully I'll have a London job this week and I'll have time to call in. Cheers.

Too late! I've already been there and bought it, Terry.

But pay me double what I paid and, as you're a friend, I'll let you have it.

;o)
  • Options
    C.Walsh'sLoveChild 3 days ago quote# 13
    Thats the one. Although it was called weird fantasy and it was the first proper comic book shop in london FACT. It was my grandads shop. Forbidden planet is in town and in brighton i think......

Yes i think you are right, I used to live in Brockley, ( Manor Avenue) when I was at art college and in the last year I worked at Marvel comics ( now a days they call it work experience) in London and sold some artwork to this shop. I used to 'ink in' the clothes that the Hulk was always tearing off the woman, and redoing the lettering in Rapidograph to take out the American words. The artwork came over on oversized A4 cream boards, and I left after 8 weeks to do a postgraduate teaching course. Marvel bounced the last cheque on me which I have somewhere in the attic, I think there London operations was called Transworld publishing. Being a hard up student, I was always selling/exchanging stuff. Probably worth a small fortune these days. I have quite a collection of illustrations ( original airbrush) including the illustrator of the current Christmas Radio Times Mick Brownfield .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you had one standing in the front garden Oggy, I reckon you'd have all your neighbours putting the woad on and stuff and then doing war dances round it! They be odd folk down west, they be! :-)
  • Options

Thats the one. Although it was called weird fantasy and it was the first proper comic book shop in london FACT. It was my grandads shop. Forbidden planet is in town and in brighton i think.

In latter days it was owned by an American bloke. @C.Walsh'sLoveChild, re it being the first proper comic book shop in London, when did it open?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
  • Options
    and MCS was about chatting his ginger shite
  • Options

and MCS was about chatting his ginger shite

Never knew him but found him hilarious. Im sure he posted a video once of him accidentally bumping into a lump of a bloke on a night out and I couldn't stop laughing at the look on his face when he clocked the size of his fella.

Might have imagined it but either way he was a proper funny poster.
  • Options
    Yes that video rings a bell. He actually posted the other week briefly.
  • Options
    I was fortunate enough to meet MCS and Carter at the same time, unfortunately they were showing each other the contents of their phones, something that will stay with me until I turn my toes up! ;)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

I was fortunate enough to meet MCS and Carter at the same time, unfortunately they were showing each other the contents of their phones, something that will stay with me until I turn my toes up! ;)

MCS and Carter, what a combo!