Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Norwich, Huddlesfield, Colchester and Co OR Leeds

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
After the first few games of the season it looked like it would be us and Leeds leaving the rest for dead in League 1. However we have allowed Huddlesfield, Norwich and the rest of the pack to catch us up. I would rather it was just us and Leeds running away with it but now it looks like it will be Leeds all the way and i am a bit sad about this. As i felt like we could have done a Leciseter last season.

I realise that Norwich Huddlesfield and Colchester are just as good as us but i feel we had a real chance to be in with Leeds ahead of the pack. I know its close but should we now be more worried about the others catching us rather than ourselves catching Leeds?

Comments

• Options
    As long as we continue to put in convincing performances like we did against southend at the weekend then we should be fine :-S
  • Options
    I honestly think Norwich are the team to watch not Leeds, we will have caught them by christmas!
  • Options
    blimey !! Personally I don't think Leeds will run away with it and will have a blip sometime. Plus the nearer they get to it they might crack under the pressure, who knows. Huddersfiedl, Col U will make the play-off's but no more imo but Narwich are the one's to be wary of. I believe it'll be two of us three for automatic promotion with the one to miss out having to lift themselves off the floor for the play-off's, whom it will be is very much up in the air. I totally disagree with those who say we want Leeds to win all their games etc as we want both positions to be up for grabs.
  • Options
    Yes. We can still catch Leeds though. Saying that I couldn't care less if Leeds finish 10 points clear of us as long as we finish 1 point above third. I think Norwich are the only real threat to the automatic places though as I don't believe Colchester or Huddersfield are consistent enough.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]blimey !! Personally I don't think Leeds will run away with it and will have a blip sometime. Plus the nearer they get to it they might crack under the pressure, who knows. Huddersfiedl, Col U will make the play-off's but no more imo but Narwich are the one's to be wary of. I believe it'll be two of us three for automatic promotion with the one to miss out having to lift themselves off the floor for the play-off's, whom it will be is very much up in the air. I totally disagree with those who say we want Leeds to win all their games etc as we want both positions to be up for grabs.

Every word of this!!
  • Options
    I think WE are the ones everyone else should be watching out for ;-)
  • Options
    Well, Huddersfield are 10 points behind us right now.

Leeds are the same distance in front of us, as are Norwich behind us.
    Agreed, Norwich are the real threat.

We just need to keep our noses in front.

At the end of the day, all that really matters is how many points each team has after 46 games. ;o)
  • Options
    Would be more than happy to finish in 2nd spot, so I'm more worried about being caught than catching Leeds.

In terms of who's the biggest threat to us, then Norwich are looking very good at the moment, but the big test for all clubs is how they fair in the January transfer window. If Norwich lose Holt and/or Hoolahan then their threat would become far less. Soton shouldn't be ruled out either as they're currently about 10 games unbeaten and will probably not have to sell anyone enabling them to keep their form going.

Same also applies to us - but hopefully the 7m investment would mean we can keep our squad together.
  • Options
    We're 4 points behind Leeds and Norwich are four points behind us. All to play for as far i'm concerned and we're very nicely placed at the half way stage of this marathon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]blimey !! Personally I don't think Leeds will run away with it and will have a blip sometime. Plus the nearer they get to it they might crack under the pressure, who knows. Huddersfiedl, Col U will make the play-off's but no more imo but Narwich are the one's to be wary of. I believe it'll be two of us three for automatic promotion with the one to miss out having to lift themselves off the floor for the play-off's, whom it will be is very much up in the air. I totally disagree with those who say we want Leeds to win all their games etc as we want both positions to be up for grabs.

I agree with you so far Large we want to try and do the best at everything. As we say "Always look on the Bright side of life" you never know if Leeds do have a blip and we keep our form could be top by feb :-). But yea Norwich have the best recent form i believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we just focus on our own games, one at a time and win - then it'll be up to the other contenders to worry about us,
  • Options
    Swindon are the team nobody is mentioning.

If they win their games in hand they go to 4th.

I don't know enough about them to judge whether or not they can sustain it but somebody unconsidered often emerges from the pack and it might be them.
  • Options
    Swindon are a team to watch at the moment but i dont think they are a force to be reckoned with for the whole season!They let in quite a few goals
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]If we just focus on our own games, one at a time and win - then it'll be up to the other contenders to worry about us,

spot on
  • Options
    Leeds do also have a game in hand though.

I'm just happy with where we are. If you'd have told any of us at the start of the season we'd be in 2nd place approaching xmas then we'd all have taken that.
  • Options
    Huddlesfield?!
  • Options
    I'd love to finish first (just to relive the memory of Blackburn away, etc.) but second will be just as good I fear finishing in a playoff place because it comes down to outside influences like refs, etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]I fear finishing in a playoff place because it comes down to outside influences like refs, etc.

I fear just being pipped to promotion, finishing 3rd and facing Southampton who stormed up the table to finish 6th, in the play offs. Nightmare!!
  • Options
    Yes Chris i forgot to Mention Saints but im sure they will also be there at the end of the season worrying isn't it.
  • Options
    Leeds defensive record is incredible, and unless that changes then I don't see us catching them. They've conceded just 4 goals in 9 away matches.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And 2 of them were at Meeeeeeeelwall
  • Options
    it is very rare that i agree whole heatedly with large but by jove he is talking complete sense 100% agreement
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]it is very rare that i agree whole heatedly with large but by jove he is talking complete sense 100% agreement

You sound stunned, NLA

:o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]I fear finishing in a playoff place because it comes down to outside influences like refs, etc.

I fear just being pipped to promotion, finishing 3rd and facing Southampton who stormed up the table to finish 6th, in the play offs. Nightmare!!

I can hardly even bear to think about that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]it is very rare that i agree whole heatedly with large but by jove he is talking complete sense 100% agreement

You sound stunned, NLA

:o)

nearly choked writing it sorry large
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    agree with Mart77

Nicely placed but not even half way yet.

different teams have been talked up at different times. MK Dons were meant to be the big threat but no one has mentioned them here.

and it wasnt so long ago when plenty on here were saying we'd be out of the play offs by xmas.

Lots of twists and turns to come yet.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]agree with Mart77

different teams have been talked up at different times. MK Dons were meant to be the big threat but no one has mentioned them here.

and it wasnt so long ago when plenty on here were saying we'd be out of the play offs by xmas.

Lots of twists and turns to come yet.[/quote]

True, I am most fearful of a second half of the season revival from Southampton, my God imagine getting pipped for an auto-spot or, even worse, beaten in the PO's by that big nosed feckwit.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    i'd rather lose to soton than millwall
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]agree with Mart77

Lots of twists and turns to come yet.

True, I am most fearful of a second half of the season revival from Southampton, my God imagine getting pipped for an auto-spot or, even worse, beaten in the PO's by that big nosed feckwit.

It's hardly a 2nd half of the season revival, they've not exactly done badly in the first half have they? Without the -10 they'd be sitting in 6th.
    That said i don't think they'll make up 20 points on us so i don't see them as contenders for automatic. I think they'll make the play offs though.