Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things you don't see now

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]kids playing cricket in the street

Kids playing cricket 'full stop'............................................................mores the pity I have to say.

I tend not to check them out in their gardens :-)
  • Options
    Space-dust bars.

That bloke selling burgers with fried onions at the top of the East Stand.

Sawdust on the floor at the butchers.

Chocolate Mousse in car-shaped containers.

11 players on a football pitch with black boots on.
  • Options
    That bloke selling burgers with fried onions at the top of the East Stand.

I love that smell.
  • Options
    Transport cafes where there's a big bowl of sugar next to the cash register with an aluminium spoon taped onto a piece of string, which in turn is attached to the till!!
    Fooking priceless!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]

20 cigs for £3.40

A pint of larger for under £2.00

20 cigs for 7/6d

A pint of lager light & bitter for under 1/9d (lager was a girls drink in those days)
  • Options
    Charlton losing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Trolleybuses and trams,espcially the 32 tram that went from Abbey Wood to the Embankment via 'Charlton Athletic Football Ground'.

I missed out on the Trams, March, but I do remember travelling on the Trolleybus that stopped by the Harrow Inn in Abbey Wood.
    I think it later became the 229 bus route?
  • Options
    Gresham Flyers which were kid's trikes. They had a bin thing on the back you could put stuff like Dinky Toys in and also an extending handle that your parent could hang onto to stop you going too fast.
  • Options
    Supporters at the bottom of the east terrace and covered end with wooden rattles painted red and white.
    Bob Curtis getting showered and dressed and in the pub before most supporters.
    The Silver Lounge in Bexleyheath.
    "Football Specials" bereft of light bulbs and toilet rolls by the time they reached their destination.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Trolleybuses and trams,espcially the 32 tram that went from Abbey Wood to the Embankment via 'Charlton Athletic Football Ground'.

I missed out on the Trams, March, but I do remember travelling on the Trolleybus that stopped by the Harrow Inn in Abbey Wood.
    I think it later became the 229 bus route?

My dad used to go on about them. Always blamed the demise of the club on the demise of the trolleybus.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    when a sudden downpour happened, most of the people on the east terrace ran for cover to the covered end, leaving the east terrace almost empty.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]
    "Football Specials" bereft of light bulbs and toilet rolls by the time they reached their destination.

Yes! .......................remember as a kid standing on the platform at Coventry, having just lost 3-0 in the Cup.

Coincidentally all 3 SE London teams were closely drawn away in the Midlands.
    Palace were at Birmingham City; Millwall were playing away at Walsall ..... and when their train came slowly trundling through Coventry station, they leaned out the windows and lobbed all the lightbulbs at us (and the Charlton team) waiting on the platform.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]when a sudden downpour happened, most of the people on the east terrace ran for cover to the covered end, leaving the east terrace almost empty.

Not all of us, Misty.
    Some of us stayed where we stood stoically taking the drenching, some put up umbrellas.

Now my old man always had a bit of a short fuse, lol ....... one game, the geezer in front put up his umbrella right in front of us blocking our view - so my old man asked him reasonably nicely to take it down or just move along a little.

The reply was "Frick Off!", to which my Dad grabbed the umbrella, stamped on it and gave it back to him wrecked, threatening to knock his block off.

Ha ha ..... things you remember at matches when you were a kid!
  • Options
    The League Liner

Terrace Season tickets
  • Options
    Nice story Oggy.

I remember when the gents toilet at the top of the East terrace used to flood whenever there was a downpour. Wet socks all the way home!
  • Options
    Chopper's, Tomahawk's and Grifter's
    Saturday night TV without some sort of "celebrity" show
  • Options
    Steptoe & Son
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Six & Stig, (sorry, still haven't got the hang of this quotes thing), I could be quite boring on this but will try to keep it short: the 696 and 698 trolleys ran out of Bexleyheath garage which was the only LPTB purpose built trolleybus garage in the system. Both routes ran from Woolwich to Dartford , the 696 via Welling and the 698 via Abbey Wood. They were 70-seaters compared to the replacement buses' 56 seats and the 229 route was extended from B'heath to Woolwich to replace the 698 but there was no direct replacement for the 696. Ironically the replacement buses were themselves on the hit list to be replaced by new Routemasters. I'll stop now before you nod off. Six, Stig, WAKE UP! P.S Like the trams the trolleys met their end by being stripped of anything useful and burned at the Penhall Road scrap yard at Charlton (locally known as the 'Tramatorium'). Preserved London trams and trolleybuses can be seen (and ridden on) at the Transport Museum at Crich in Derbyshire.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Six & Stig, (sorry, still haven't got the hang of this quotes thing), I'll could be quite boring on this but will try to keep it short: the 696 and 698 trolleys ran out of Bexleyheath garage which was the only LPTB purpose built trolleybus garage in the system. Both routes ran from Woolwich to Dartford , the 696 via Welling and the 698 via Abbey Wood. They were 70-seaters compared to the replacement buses' 56 seats and the 229 route was extended from B'heath to Woolwich to replace the 698 but there was no direct replacement for the 696. Ironically the replacement buses were themselves on the hit list to be replaced by new Routemasters. I'll stop now before you nod off. Six, Stig, WAKE UP! P.S Like the trams the trolleys met their end by being stripped of anything useful and burned at the Penhall Road scrap yard at Charlton (locally known as the 'Tramatorium'). Preserved London trams and trolleybuses can be seen (and ridden on) at the Transport Museum at Crich in Derbyshire.

I'm impressed, Terry.

You definitely qualify as an anorak .....(!)

;o)
  • Options
    Petrol being sold by the gallon

Respect shown to the elderly

"Follow the bear" lager (name eludes me - Hofmeister ?)

Twin Wembley Towers

Proper Mods (or punks)

Tales of the unexpected
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlie Wright letting the ball slip between his legs blunder
  • Options
    HR Pffenstuff !
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Bog rolls being thrown about in the crowd at the footy when teams score!
  • Options
    Oggy, that happened once in the first match I took the future (&current) Mrs M to, V. Sheffield United, March 1969. A tame Alan Woodward shot but Charlie had so much time it just rolled on through and put the Blades one up. Fortunately Matt Tees and Ray Crawford put things right in the 2nd half and Mrs M thoroughly enjoyed herself' (until the journey home: but that's another story!).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]
    Proper Mods (or punks)

Yeah, punks with superglue in their hair and safety pins through their noses.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Six & Stig, (sorry, still haven't got the hang of this quotes thing), I'll could be quite boring on this but will try to keep it short: the 696 and 698 trolleys ran out of Bexleyheath garage which was the only LPTB purpose built trolleybus garage in the system. Both routes ran from Woolwich to Dartford , the 696 via Welling and the 698 via Abbey Wood. They were 70-seaters compared to the replacement buses' 56 seats and the 229 route was extended from B'heath to Woolwich to replace the 698 but there was no direct replacement for the 696. Ironically the replacement buses were themselves on the hit list to be replaced by new Routemasters. I'll stop now before you nod off. Six, Stig, WAKE UP! P.S Like the trams the trolleys met their end by being stripped of anything useful and burned at the Penhall Road scrap yard at Charlton (locally known as the 'Tramatorium'). Preserved London trams and trolleybuses can be seen (and ridden on) at the Transport Museum at Crich in Derbyshire.

I'm impressed, Terry.

You definitely qualify as an anorak .....(!)

;o)

I'm impressed too!
  • Options
    Tonic suits.
  • Options
    Little blue bags of salt in your crisps...
  • Options
    2 points for a win.
  • Options
    Cassette tapes with their insides pulled out hanging from tree tops.