Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Street Parking - Boxing Day

BDLBDL
edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Interesting article on the BBC website about some London Authorities who will be enforcing parking restrictions on Boxing Day.

As it falls on a Saturday and is, therefore, not a bank holiday some authorities are treating it like a usual day.

Greenwich have yet to decide, the ONLY london authority not to have done so.

I would imagine that they will enforce restrictions given that we are at home. I would expect quite a few will be caught out if they do.

Comments

• Options
    You need to be careful on public holidays too - most signage saying when yellow lines are enforced simply state the day of the week, with no mention of public holidays. Public holidays are then considered to be a normal day & if the lines are enforceable on that day, expect to get a ticket.
  • Options
    I saw this on the news yeaterday.

Can understand why councils would be enforcing as normal - the following Monday (28th) they have to apply Bank Holiday rules (as it's a Bank Holiday), so why should they give an extra day of free parking a year than they normally do?

Would be a nice touch if they did - and some have - but I won't be particularly pissed about those that don't. I don't feel they have any legal or moral obligation to do so.

(And yes, some libraries etc are closed because they deem the 26th a 'public holiday', but I would imagine this is more tto benefit the employees etc than because of incoherent or inconsistent policy.)
  • Options
    Ermmmm ......Happy Christmas!!
  • Options
    Better make sure I take my Blue badge then ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Ermmmm ......Happy Christmas!!

Parking is for life, not just for Christmas
  • Options
    If a fraction of the energy and resources put into persecuting motorists via parking was put into catching muggers, burglars, drug dealers etc this country would not be the sh**hole it has become.

Just an opinion and an exercise of freedom of speech which (in theory at least) we are supposed to have.
  • Options
    Spot on Len.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]If a fraction of the energy and resources put into persecuting motorists via parking was put into catching muggers, burglars, drug dealers etc this country would not be the sh**hole it has become.

Just an opinion and an exercise of freedom of speech which (in theory at least) we are supposed to have.

Too easy Len. Why try and catch a theif/mugger/dealer and go to all that trouble and cost of bringing them to court when you can slap a few dozen tickets on unsuspecting motorists to boost the coffers?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]If a fraction of the energy and resources put into persecuting motorists via parking was put into catching muggers, burglars, drug dealers etc this country would not be the sh**hole it has become.

But Len, the vast majority of parking enforcement is done by council staff or contractors not the police, so scrapping it would release very little resources for catching muggers, burglars and drug dealers. And then you'd have additional time the police would have to spend dealing with people getting into fights over parking spaces, or being stuck in traffic because some idiot's decided to doublepark and blocked access for a fire engine or ambulance.