Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Postponed away games

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Hope it doesn't happen to those travelling tomorrow, but...

How many have you travelled to and what's the furthest?

Burnley - 99/00(?) Midweek rain
Notts County - 85/86(?) Frozen pitch. Replay was an 11am ko. Many went over the road to Forest for the 3pm ko I seem to recall.

Comments

• Options
    Port Vale, long time back, can't remember which season now.
  • Options
    Burnley 94/95. Arrived at Burnley railway station one hour before kick off, and told game was off
    Oldham 96/97. Called off 5 mins before kick off due to Heavy fog. Was o/s the ground
    Newcastle 05/06. Called off 30 mins before kick off. Heavy snow so went back to the pub in Newcastle and got rotten.
  • Options
    went to a welling game away at darlington about 20 yrs ago, was called off at half time due to fog. the newcastle one a few years ago has got to be the furthest and latest cancellation
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Burnley 94/95. Arrived at Burnley railway station one hour before kick off, and told game was off

That must have been the one I went to - how time flies...
  • Options
    No distance, but remember way back (early 80s?) at Leyton Orient, game abandoned at half-time due to waterlogging.
  • Options
    i went to selhurst in the late 80's when we were @ home around the christmas time and it was called off not too sure who against
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i went to selhurst in the late 80's when we were @ home around the christmas time and it was called off not too sure who against

Rubbish!! ( :-))
  • Options
    At least one of the Burnley coaches took in the Preston vs Col U game,
    was Kins playing, can't remember?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i went to selhurst in the late 80's when we were @ home around the christmas time and it was called off not too sure who against

Hull City, December 1990.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]

cheers

i think a few people went on to watch wimbledon play at plough lane maybe against west ham
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]

It was Notts County
  • Options
    Went to Burnley and Newcastle, both times was staying up there so when the games were called off late still had to stay and waste 4 days of my life for nothing!
  • Options
    Away to Millwall in the late 70s / early 80s. It was the weekend before Xmas (again) and I had travelled all the way up from Bristol. Got to New Cross Gate Station to be told it was off owing to thick fog. So I spent the next 3 hours battling with about 3 million people on Oxford Street, trying to do some Xmas shopping. What a nightmare. Never again!!
  • Options
    Millwall away early 90's due to fog, got to the woodman on plumstead common and stayed there. Dagenham & Redbridge away cup replay, got to a pub uptown and stayed there.
  • Options
    In 65/66 3 times - Bury, Bristol City and Rotherham.

Rotherham was in April. Obviously Spring that year only got as far North as Grantham .... what a cheerless, inhospitable, God-forsaken dump Rotherham was that day.
  • Options
    I bet Cardiff were annoyed with us last season when we called that home game off.
  • Options
    Notts Co 1984/85 game was due to waterlogged pitch. Only found out when we arrived at Nottingham station. Re-scheduled match on the Saturday morning was crap 0-0 and then the afternoon match Notts Forest v Wimbledon in FA Cup ended 0-0 too!!!! Can't be many people who've stood through two goalless games in one day. Forest game was quite good though and the Dons did well by kicking two or three off the line....and then won the replay at Plough Lane for a proper giant killing. Lots of Charlton supporters got seats on the Wimbledon special train on the way home from Nottingham!!
  • Options
    Burnley midweek game in the 90s .Went by coach ended up watching PNE v Colchester play.
    Port Vale saturday game in the 70s,Game called off when we arrived at Vale Park,once again good old Eddie Cecil took us by coach to watch Aston Villa play Sheffield Utd in fa cup game 5-1 Villa.What villa fans could not understand was a group of fans standing in The Halt End cheering villa on wearing red and white colours.Good laugh.
  • Options
    I went to that Burnley midweek "game". We'd got a B&B in Preston but travelled to Burnley then had to wait an hour for the train back again so couldn't get to Deepdale - so just went out and got lashed up instead!
  • Options
    East Terrace
    Both Kinsella and John Vaughan played for Colchester that night.Standing with the away fans that evening in the old stand.Still one of the few grounds i have not seen Charlton play at.