Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting booked for taking your shirt off.

Anyone else notice that the plum who got sent off for Pompey yesterday for taking his shirt off seemed to be grinning when he left the pitch? This raises a couple of questions for me:

Just how stupid is he to think that, on a yellow card, he would NOT get booked for taking his shirt off and running into the crowd and would he have thought it was so effing funny if he was facing a Cloughie type manager in the dressing room afterwards? The lack of professionalism shown by players is incredible sometimes and if he was looking for Christmas off, he got his timing all wrong too. Fortunately it didn't effect the result I suppose.

I'm not saying it's right to resort to violence of any sort but didn't Trevor Francis once slap a player for laughing when the oppo scored and you can see why they (managers) lose it sometimes when there are prats like this about.

Comments

• Options
    didn't Trevor Francis once slap a player for laughing when the oppo scored and you can see why they (managers) lose it sometimes when there are prats like this about.

Reserve Palace keeper I think.
  • Options
    Not condoning the player for what he did ...... but in context, he did equalise in virtually the last minute of injury time.
    Emotions running high, the intense feeling of relief, then release of all that pent up feeling.

That's the human side of players - and why, despite the best efforts of Sky and the rest of the media circus, players are still just people and behave in emotional rather than commonsense ways when feelings erupt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Anyone else notice that the plum who got sent off for Pompey yesterday for taking his shirt off seemed to be grinning when he left the pitch? This raises a couple of questions for me:

Just how stupid is he to think that, on a yellow card, he wouldNOTget booked for taking his shirt off and running into the crowd and would he have thought it was so effing funny if he was facing a Cloughie type manager in the dressing room afterwards? The lack of professionalism shown by players is incredible sometimes and if he was looking for Christmas off, he got his timing all wrong too. Fortunately it didn't efect the result I suppose.

I'm not saying it's right to resort to violence of any sort but didn't Trevor Francis once slap a player for laughing when the oppo scored and you can see why they (managers) lose it sometimes when there are prats like this about.

It would never happen at Charlton ................... would it Izale ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Not condoning the player for what he did ...... but in context, he did equalise in virtually the last minute of injury time.
    Emotions running high, the intense feeling of relief, then release of all that pent up feeling.

That's the human side of players - and why, despite the best efforts of Sky and the rest of the media circus, players are still just people and behave in emotional rather than commonsense ways when feelings erupt.

I understand all that, and we've seen at least one of Charlton's "finest" get himself booked a few times this season for doing the same haven't we but firstly, how would you feel if it we're one of ours and it did effect the result? More importantly, having got himself sent off his reaction was not "S##t, I've dropped one here and let the lads down..." but to find the situation in some way funny. None of us will ever know what's it's like to score an important goal like that (unless you're reading young Mr Shelvey!) but I'd like to think that I'd have enough about me to want to stay on the pitch to enjoy the situation.
  • Options
    Do they still get paid when they get banned?
    I would guess so, but question why. Especially when it is for taking your top off.
    Could you pay them, then fine them at the same time?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Not condoning the player for what he did ...... but in context, he did equalise in virtually the last minute of injury time.

I guess the argument would be that you should at least be professional enough to not do the exact thing that is prohibited by the rules. It's not like he's banned from showing euphoria, just that specific action.

In terms of your point about it being what Sky and the media circus want, I don't know myself the history of the rule being introduced, but was it some sort of televisual pressure for a clean image or something? (genuine question, I've never known where the rule has come from!)
  • Options
    The thing in is that this amendment to the law has been in for a few seasons now. It was brought in for my last season as a ref, and thankfully I never had the need to implement it.

The main purpose for it (at the time) was to stop the number of players from wearing t-shirts with specially printed slogans, which could prove to be offensive. Although, this has been combined in to the all encompassing "exurberant goal celebrations", which includes jumping into the crowd. Sadly, and despite this being the 5th(I think) season that it has been in force, the players still won't learn. I dosen't matter about the emotion of scoing an important goal, the fact is they have had long enough to think of other ways of expressing their joy at scoring.

I have absolutely no sympathy with any player that gets themself booked for this, let alone one doing it while already on a yellow.
  • Options
    Feck all that - I have absolutely no issue with goalscorers taking their shirts off with or without any political slogans underneath - It is the old farts at the FA who are doing this - these footballers are doing no one any harm...
  • Options
    Would they be booked if they had an identical club shirt on underneath?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Would they be booked if they had an identical club shirt on underneath?

Ha ha...now that 'would ' be very funny to see what would happen in that instance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think sometimes it is understandable and no yellow should be forthcoming ie Litas 90min against Wolves, McLeod first goal at Valley etc. Sometimes it is ridiculous ie McLeod v Huddersfield!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SilentAddick[/cite]Feck all that - I have absolutely no issue with goalscorers taking their shirts off with or without any political slogans underneath - It is the old farts at the FA who are doing this - these footballers are doing no one any harm...

spot on
  • Options
    I don't care about political slogans here in England, but somewhere like Africa that might actually be very dangerous. So I agree, but only in places where politics doesn't mean death and destruction. Here in England, there should be no penalty for taking your shirt off when you score a goal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SilentAddick[/cite]Feck all that - I have absolutely no issue with goalscorers taking their shirts off with or without any political slogans underneath - It is the old farts at the FA who are doing this - these footballers are doing no one any harm...
    Isn't it a FIFA rule? I thought that it was brought in because certain faiths may find a naked torso offensive. However that said we have all seen players who take their shirt off who have another layer on underneath and still get booked so the rule is for taking your shirt off and even if you have an identical one on underneath you would still be booked
  • Options
    What about timewasting/inciting the opposition fans?

You'll be saying they should get rid of nets next. As was said above, it's got jack shit to do with the FA anyway.
  • Options
    Its a stupid law for sure but is well known by all the players, therefore anyone who does it is prat. Why do they do it anyway? Yes, go mad when you score, fist pump, cuddle your team-mates or whatewver but keep your shirt on and you won't get booked.

The stupidest offender was Ross Wallace of Preston. He scored a free kick (very good it has to be said) v Birmingham last season which got the club into the play-offs. Already on a booking he tore his shirt off in celebration, got a second yellow and missed the first leg of the play-offs.

There are all sorts of laws over kit, shirt tucked in, socks pulled up etc, most of which are ignored by the ref.
  • Options
    Scored the winner for me sunday team yesterday been hammering it down all game so took my shirt off and dived in the muddy puddle down the side. Got booked
  • Options
    Ban all celebrations.
  • Options
    Ridiculous rule.
  • Options
    its a silly rule but if the players know it why do it?