Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Footage

Quailty footage from some of the games in 40's our FA Cup simi final win over Newcastle plus many more

http://www.britishpathe.com/results.php?search=charlton+athletic&o=20

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for that. Interesting that we were seen as innovative off the pitch in 1969, setting up the "social club" (and I think that was a Lewis coach in the background!).

Don't wish to knock a legend, but at the end of '47 clip v Preston, it looks disturbingly like a dive from Tom Finney (not the git that finished Tutt's career) after he'd apparently been well marked all game. Maybe things haven't changed quite as much as we sometimes believe.
  • Options
    Good to see some close ups of some of the Lifers in the crowd, too!
  • Options
    Great to see some Charlton history but old football really was rubbish.
  • Options
    "but old football really was rubbish."

I wonder what people looking back will make of ours in sixty years. Perhaps they'll wonder how we let agents and hangers-on ruin (or lose) such a beautiful thing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]"but old football really was rubbish."

I wonder what people looking back will make of ours in sixty years. Perhaps they'll wonder how we let agents and hangers-on ruin (or lose) such a beautiful thing.

They'll wonder how we paid a million squid for the legendary Izale McLeod .......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]Don't wish to knock a legend, but at the end of '47 clip v Preston, it looks disturbingly like a dive from Tom Finney (not the git that finished Tutt's career) after he'd apparently been well marked all game. Maybe things haven't changed quite as much as we sometimes believe.

Blimey, you're right. Terrible dive.

Cant imagine what the camera man said when Sheffield and Newcastle ran out both in stripes and looks like they were playing in a farm yard.
  • Options
    Quality and great to see the east terrace packed. Proper football grounds aswell, and they were worried about the Stockport pitch last week lol
  • Options
    Someone posted this a while back and I asked if it could be put onto DVD ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]Great to see some Charlton history but old football really was rubbish.

To be fair though, both of those pitches made Stockport County's look like a bowling green.
    Total morass, with straw and sand acting as a sort of mattrass to play on, players could hardly stand up.

In the Sheff Utd - Newcastle match, there were some blistering tackles ........ a winger got away down the flank, and then this kami-kazi defender came hurtling in from 50 yards awau and just launched himself like a human projectile - if he'd actually caught the winger, it doesn't bare thinking about!

There was also another challenge that would make Nicky Bailey seem like the Sugar Plum Fairy!

I thought Bramall Lane was in an interesting stage of rebuilding, with a new stand roof framework without a roof.
    Notice it had only 3 sides, as Bramall Lane was then also home to Yorkshire County Cricket Club.

I'll leave others the chance to comment on The Valley match .......