Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who remembers the garden fence?

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Was just thinking about when my dad started taking me to Charlton and how the ground used to be like, who else remembers that fence they used to house away fans in on the east terrace, have tried looking for photos on the net but cant seem to find any. It was like a pen, i clearly remember standing next to it for one game when we were playing Wrexham and their fans chanting non stop throughout the game, probably the only occasion i can ever remember a chant lasting for the entire 90mins.

Comments

• Options
    Back in the early 80's, just about all the grounds had the pitch surrounded by high fences

It stopped the players invading the terraces.
  • Options
    The garden fence i seem to remember was around the time Alan Mulley was Charlton manager.Remember taking a Derby fan along to a preseason event at Charlton to watch a open day, training at The Valley. What an embarrassment.
    About summer of 1981.
  • Options
    Ask razil
  • Options
    Yes mate, I remember it well. It was a chestnut paling affair which ran up the terrace, more or less in line with the southern end 18 yd. line. I remember it because a mate and I together with a Wimbledon supporter went to see us play the Dons in, I think, March or April '85. The crowd was around the 4,000 mark if memory serves, including approx 150 Dons' fans.It was a bloody awful game with Wimbledon scoring what turned out to be the winner in the 1st. half. During the second half the rain really started pouring down and we started moving along the east terrace towards the south stand. We got to a 'gate in the fence (really just an opening) where we were stopped by a young, officious policewoman who refused to let us through as we were Charlton. We explained that we only wanted to keep dry, not start a punch-up and that one of us was a Dons supporter anyway. This confused her and she went off to get advice, so we just carried on and sat in the stand for the rest of the game! I really can't remember the fence serving any great useful purpose as the (now) Jimmy Seed stand was big enough to accomodate most away support without the need for terracing.
  • Options
    Wasnt it introduced when the South was being built? May be wrong with that but it seems the logical reason as like you say, as a restraining area it was totally useless. I seem to remember also seeing night games against QPR and Chelsea with them in there also. Can you imagine any away support kept in something like that these days, particularly a team like Chelsea
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Ask razil

Sad news on Razil's lawn front I am afraid. Due to the constant mowing & maintenance on all that turf, he has had to downsize again.

Good news is a box of lawn fertliizer should last him 258 years now!!