Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shelvey IN or OUT for Saturday

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Would you play him? Would he be stamped on, could he handle the occasion? Same goes for Wagstaff, but after the goal he scored last weekend it would be probably unfair to leave him out. What about Racon, would he shine or will it be too physical for him. PP has to really think about this.

Better off going for a wall of steel in midfield i reckon. Bailey, Semedo in the middle.

Comments

• Options
    Racon
    Bailey
    Semedo
    Sam

For me.
  • Options
    Could see Millwall targeting him for a reaction like Bowyer in 95.

Not that he would necessarily rise to it but West Ham fan playing for Charlton, come on.

PLus why change a winning side.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Could see Millwall targeting him for a reaction like Bowyer in 95.

Not that he would necessarily rise to it but West Ham fan playing for Charlton, come on.

PLus why change a winning side.

I would change a winning side to get Youga/Richardson back in, but only if they're 100% fit.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Shaking all about you do the hokey cokey and you turn around....
  • Options
    I'd have him as an impact sub with Racon.

Sam, Bailey, Semedo and Wagstaff pick themselves at the moment.
  • Options
    If Youga is fit I'd play him with Basey in front.

Waggy has done well but is playing out of position. Better to keep him to come on for Sam when Lloyd tires.

Sam Semedo (he hates Millwall), Bailey and Basey is a midfield to do a job against a team who will be up for it.
  • Options
    whats the chances of youga being fit? would like him there sat
  • Options
    Phil me and bens best mate said youga will be back for the Wall I'm guessing that's barring any setbacks ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Phil me and bens best mate said youga will be back for the Wall I'm guessing that's barring any setbacks ;o)

LOL
  • Options
    Parky doesn't seem to have addressed why mediocre midfields have been oout-playing our more talented bunch since we went 4-4-2. The defence sit too deep and don't move up when the midfield go forward. So our passes get longer and the oppo have more space when they win the ball, the match tends to get played in our half. Despite this I'd keep 4-4-2 with Racon in for Waggy, a narrower, more resilient line-up and hopefully our 1st choice full-backs fit again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Parky doesn't seem to have addressed why mediocre midfields have been oout-playing our more talented bunch since we went 4-4-2. The defence sit too deep and don't move up when the midfield go forward. So our passes get longer and the oppo have more space when they win the ball, the match tends to get played in our half. Despite this I'd keep 4-4-2 with Racon in for Waggy, a narrower, more resilient line-up and hopefully our 1st choice full-backs fit again.

I would argue that the midfield don't drag the defence forward, rather than the defence sitting too deep. Against Southend our midfield 4 were far too deep.
  • Options
    I would think about playing Basey left midfield if Youga is fit. Wagstaff/Shelvey may be targeted and I worry about it getting to them and we may need extra cover down the left. Also Racon does not want to play left mid and imo is nowhere near as effective out there.

On the left of midifeld, Baseys lack of pace would not be so exposed but we could still get the benefit of his set pieces and excellent delivery.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]On the left of midifeld, Baseys lack of pace would not be so exposed but we could still get the benefit of his set pieces and excellent delivery.
    pretty much phils words.
  • Options
    I think we should resort back to 4-5-1

will be harsh on Mooney, but also means we can dominate the midfield and not predictable as we havent played it for a while

My Team would be:
    Elliot

Richardson-Omonuzi if not fit
    Dailey
    Sodje
    Youga- Basey if not fit
    Sam
    Semedo
    Bailey
    Waggy
    Shelvey just behind striker
    Burton

Probably couldnt be further away from the actual team but i think it would work well and reckon Shelvey would rise to the occassion
  • Options
    I'm sure Parky has weighed up the pros and cons:

1) We can pack the centre midfield, play a pretty looking short passing game, other teams find it difficult to break us down.
    But our lone forward gets isolated from the rest of the team and relatively few decent chances are created. Our attacks are slow building and predictable.

2) We can have a strong combative pairing in the middle of the park, 2 speedy/tricky wingers with thrust and penetration,
    play 2 up front working well as a pairing, and create plenty of good chances. We can tear times apart on the break.

The first ploy worked well at the beginning of the season but started to became stodgy and less effective, once teams worked us out tactically.

The second is working pretty well for us at the moment (5 wins out of 6, plenty of goals). That doesn't mean it is perfect, and maybe we concede a little too much ground in centre mid - but it does give us pace and hard running which teams so far have had little answer to.
  • Options
    I would like to see A Sodje start, he deserves a chance and even though it would be harsh on Mooney we need to see how good Sodje is before we can think about possibly trying to sign him in Jan. Also Mooney imo will probs stay till end of season and will have a vital role to play. Sodje could go back anytime and would maybe prefer that if he does not get a chance here
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I'm sure Parky has weighed up the pros and cons:

1) We can pack the centre midfield, play a pretty looking short passing game, other teams find it difficult to break us down.
    But our lone forward gets isolated from the rest of the team and relatively few decent chances are created. Our attacks are slow building and predictable.

2) We can have a strong combative pairing in the middle of the park, 2 speedy/tricky wingers with thrust and penetration,
    play 2 up front working well as a pairing, and create plenty of good chances. We can tear times apart on the break.

The first ploy worked well at the beginning of the season but started to became stodgy and less effective, once teams worked us out tactically.

The second is working pretty well for us at the moment (5 wins out of 6, plenty of goals). That doesn't mean it is perfect, and maybe we concede a little too much ground in centre mid - but it does give us pace and hard running which teams so far have had little answer to.

it is nice to have plan A & B but do you think we have a plan C, that would be impressive :-)
  • Options
    Are they a physical side then?

I don't know anything about them except one of their players, Dave Martin is a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    Simple answer: NO
  • Options
    Why are we changing the midfield? As i see it the boys in them births have earnt that spot over the last 3/4 weeks.

I think richardson if fit will play. But if only 90% for god sake give him time to fully recover all this playing 1 half of the next is no good.

I think Basey has done enough to stay there ATM with youga getting the birth on the bench with shelvey whose time will come.

We just won our last 3 and we moan midfield too deep, waggy not physical enough.

Come on lets get up for this guys
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd start him, in his best position, with two strikers in front of him, so he's got some decent options and isn't getting the full attention of the one of the opposition CBs, which is the disadvantage of the 451. Play Bailey a bit deeper. I'd also keep Waggy in. It'd mean sacraficing Semedo, which may seem mad, but Bailey can work the centre and a fresh Jonjo offers something not available in the division.

Generally I don't think this game will play out much different to any other league match and we shouldn't approach it as special.
  • Options
    We are at Home, we are unbeaten at home, we have the best home record in league, we have won our last four games & people want to change the team & are talking of going 4-5-1. Glad Phil is in charge & none of you lot on here.
  • Options
    I think Sodje is the man for derbies. Totally agree with CAFCdan there, he's the man that'll compete, challenge and make sure we dominate with Burton and Akpo up top.
  • Options
    I quite like Henrys idea of playing Basey out on the left, feels very Curbishley. As for Shelvey i'd love to play him but you can't drop Bailey and unfortunately that's who his main squad rival is if we play 442.
  • Options
    Basey has to play.

He made it very clear how he feels about Millwall when we were drunk in a nightclub in Dublin!
  • Options
    I wouldn't not play him just because its millwall. If i was the manager and didn't want to play him it would be cos i'm happy with the team thats been winning not because he might not be able to handle the occassion. Believe me if he is called into the squad he will not be worried about who we are playing and any player that is shouldn't be on the pitch. Its just another game really made more by a few moronic millwall supporters. They are not the same standard as us and will get beat 3-1 no matter what team parky decides to put out. I dont see there being many changes but i would expect to see him after about an hour if we have not scored to try and find the passes to open them up
  • Options
    Jonjo wants to play
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Jonjo wants to play[div class=Attachments id=Attachments_595631][ul][div]jonjo_shelvey.gif[/div][/ul][/div]

Hahaha
  • Options
    Who's that ...... Dr Evil ????????

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]We are at Home, we are unbeaten at home, we have the best home record in league, we have won our last four games & people want to change the team & are talking of going 4-5-1. Glad Phil is in charge & none of you lot on here.

Couldn't agree more. I simply can't see how you can justify dropping anyone at the moment. IMO it would hand millwall a huge psychological advantage to switch to 4-5-1. We're the home side!!

Go with the team that is winning and let them worry about us rather than the other way round.