Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Minutes Applause

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
So, Charlton are to hold the annual minutes applause in memory of dead, players, staff and fans before the Hartlepool game, I am all for this, I think it's great to do something to remember our friends and loved ones.

BUT

Why applause? How can you applaud someones death? That is an insult!

I know some teams have to hold an applause because their fans can't be trusted to mark the event with the respect it deserves but not our fans, especially to honour our own.

Come on Charlton, the first year was a trial but you knew we would mark the occasion properly, so surely we can be trusted and also the visitors from Hartlepool.
Do it properly or forget it!

Comments

• Options
    I agree, a minutes silence would be more appropiate and our fans are not the type to disrespect the ocassion. I don't think Hartlepool would ruin it either
  • Options
    I think its a way to celebrate everyone's life. its not meant to be a sad occasion.

I remember the Alan Ball minute applause which i think was one of the first where it was applause and not a silence, i may be wrong but i thought that was where it started?

I personally think its more appropriate and the comments from those who have had relatives included in the list previously have been in favour of the applause rather than silence.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited December 2009
    I think it has worked well since we did it and see no reason to change it.

I know if I dropped dead I'd want you lot applauding (I wouldnt fill insulted from the grave) more than just standing there in silence but thats just me.
  • Options
    I personally think an applause is more moving.
  • Options
    I see it as a positive mark of remembrance & recognition of the support they gave to the club. No problem with it whatsoever, it's one of the better ideas CAFC have had in recent times.
  • Options
    I think its more offensive to write "dead" rather than 'those that have died' in the past year etc than worry about silence or applauding!

i think when people applaud they are also not usually chatting whilst clapping.
  • Options
    Prefer silence myself, gives you time to reflect on how lucky you are, also thinks it shows a little more respect
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited December 2009
    What it comes down to I think is respecting how people want to show respect...

If you want to clap, clap, if you want to be silent and reflect then you can.
  • Options
    I remember when the tribute first happened and there was a young Charlton fan who had recently died (he was a member on here).

His family were really moved that the Club were remembering him in this way and said that as he was such a lively, noisy, upbeat person who loved to come to games to sing and shout they felt it was much better that he was remembered with applause rather than silence.

Silence is still appropriate sometimes but the applauses so far have, IMHO, been very moving and the better for being applause.
  • Options
    I know when I'm clapping I'll be mainly thinking of Dave Davies and knowing him I'm sure he'd rather we were making a noise than standing in silence. Also, as said above you don't have to clap and if you'd rather stand head bowed, eyes closed in quiet reflection then go for it. Either way it's a show of respect and well done the Club I say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I know when I'm clapping I'll be mainly thinking of Dave Davies and knowing him I'm sure he'd rather we were making a noise than standing in silence. Also, as said above you don't have to clap and if you'd rather stand head bowed, eyes closed in quiet reflection then go for it. Either way it's a show of respect and well done the Club I say.

Good point. We are applauding his life, not his death. It certainly isn't an insult.
  • Options
    I would prefer a silence personally but that's me.

The important thing is that we do something and if applause stops idiots ruining it then that is fine by me.

I am directly affected this time.
  • Options
    You could try alternating clapping and not clapping. In rapid succession.
  • Options
    I'd applaud the death of Palace ;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I'd applaud the death of Palace ;-)

to be fair to the Palace fans, they do impeccably observe 90 minutes of silence every home game
  • Options
    Call me old fashioned...
  • Options
    bang on this one dft. a minute silence is the only fitting way
  • Options
    Agree with a min silence.
  • Options
    I hate the reason why the appaulse first came about in other parts of the country is that we have people in this country who can't stand still and be queiet for 60 seconds and show respect.

That said the actual event at Charlton is very special and a great way of remembering all those people. Really works well with the big screen and full credit needs to go to those who came up with the idea.
  • Options
    Football matches are noisy things and football fans should make some noise, I like the idea of a minute's applause.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally I prefer the one miniute silence as more respectful.
  • Options
    prefer the applause there's a million times a day when you can reflect on passed loved ones in silence but you'd look rather odd applauding on your own
    and as we're at a football match applause(ok at charlton silence!!) seems a good way of celebrating someones life ....
    that's what i want when i die a big away following applauding my passing on to the next level!!
  • Options
    I don't mind either way.....speaking for myself I would prefer to be honoured by applause .
    I remember the awful incident at Sarfampton some years back when one of ours shouted out 'bollox' at the top of his voice during a minutes silence....quite simply the most embarrassing and distressful thing I have ever encountered as an Addick at an away match.I wanted a hole to appear and swallow me up....Ian Cartwright found himself writing to them to appologise....and bless him for doing so.
    Therefore a minutes applause is best, especially as sometimes fans arriving late can make considerable noise as they come up the staircases and enter into the ground through the vomitary's not knowing a minutes silence is taking place...often minutes silences are spoiled quite unintentionaly as a result of this.
  • Options
    I'll be there and I'll have tears in my eyes however it's done. I think the applause works very well and it certainly fits with the ethos to, Live, Love, Laugh and Be Happy. As others have said if people prefer quiet contemplation there's plenty of other opportunities.
  • Options
    I prefer the minutes applause in this situation. A minutes silence for everyone who's died that year does put a bit of a damper on the occasion. A silence is good nearer the occasion but you don't want to dig up old worns in my opinion.
  • Options
    good point Friend or Defoe. Some of the fans/players etc being honoured could have passed on nearly a year previously and a slience is not really appropriate as the time for mouning them has come and gone. Applause as a celebration of thier life is much more appropriate.
  • Options
    I rather like the applause. I will probably not know the people who have died, so it's difficult to give thanks for their lives, or to think about them in silence. but I am aware that for many people, there are painful times. For me, it represents an active way of engaging in an act of common humanity and I would hope that it brings some comfort to those who are living with a loss.
  • Options
    30 secs of silence followed by 30 secs of rapturous applause. Everyone's happy.
  • Options
    not when there is confusion over whether the first 30 is silent or applause......!
  • Options
    Nothing gets the goosebumps going better than hearing that roar after a minutes silence. I find a minute silence is much more respectful, the minute applause is just an excuse to avoid any offence.