Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First Test: SA vs England

Comments

• Options
    What are the different numbers on the shirts about - anybody know?
  • Options
    Denly is probably next in line, but I don't think that Cook will be discarded just yet, he's in position to be the next England captain and I think might captain the side to Bangladesh in the spring if Strauss decides to miss that series.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]What are the different numbers on the shirts about - anybody know?

Do you mean the number on their shirts just below the three-lion crest?

If so this represents their spot in the chronological list of players to appear for England. So the most recent call up will have the highest number.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]What are the different numbers on the shirts about - anybody know?

Do you mean the number on their shirts just below the three-lion crest?

If so this represents their spot in the chronological list of players to appear for England. So the most recent call up will have the highest number.

Yes, that's them; thanks Chris.

What about the SA numbers, which are much lower? Is it the same, post apartheid?
  • Options
    Going horribly wrong.

198/5.

Bell's dismissal was shocking. He'll surely be dropped now. He's had his last chance.
  • Options
    We've almost saved the follow-on...

Bell had better score some runs in the second innings, even that might not save him.
  • Options
    Follow on saved, but Colly out now for 50, 221/7
  • Options
    Was Bell wicket really embarrassing?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Was Bell wicket really embarrassing?

Yep.

He shouldered arms to a straight ball from Paul Harris.

Straight as in aimed straight at middle stump.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Any chance of Snow so we can get the draw :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That Bell dismissal is one of the worst leaves I have ever ever seen... how can you leave (and watch float by) a straight ball by a spinner who you know full well can turn the ball about half an inch on a good day with a fair wind?!

Just incredible.
  • Options
    Bell is not test class and never has been.

NB Alastair Cook nearly always gets out caught behind by generally the slip area or occasionally the wicketkeeper.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Bell is not test class and never has been.

NB Alastair Cook nearly always gets out caught behind by generally the slip area or occasionally the wicketkeeper.

Ooooooooooohh a bit strong that CE...not world class but certainly Test class I'd say.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]

Ooooooooooohh a bit strong that CE...not world class but certainly Test class I'd say.

Well I'd never fancy Bell to score a century against a top country ie not the likes of Bangladesh !
  • Options
    Broad could be in trouble. Got given out Lbw to Duminy, but only after South Africa took nearly a minute to decide to ask for a referral. Talk going on that the fielders received a signal from the dressing room after watching replays of the incident. 3rd umpire gives broad out and them he was giving both umpires a lot of talk before deciding to walk.

Eng 311 - 8. Swann and Anderson going very well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Broad could be in trouble. Got given out Lbw to Duminy, but only after South Africa took nearly a minute to decide to ask for a referral. Talk going on that the fielders received a signal from the dressing room after watching replays of the incident.

I've no idea about the referral rule but surely they're not allowed to wait that long before asking? If they were already told it was out by someone back in the SA dressing room, is that not cheating?
  • Options
    As usual the Saffers are taking liberties with the laws, rules and conditions of play.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Broad could be in trouble. Got given out Lbw to Duminy, but only after South Africa took nearly a minute to decide to ask for a referral. Talk going on that the fielders received a signal from the dressing room after watching replays of the incident.

I've no idea about the referral rule but surely they're not allowed to wait that long before asking? If they were already told it was out by someone back in the SA dressing room, is that not cheating?
    Yes it is.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]

Well I'd never fancy Bell to score a century against a top country ie not the likes of Bangladesh !

His highest Test score was 199 against SA, although I suppose you could say that he bottled getting a double hundred.

If Test cricket could be played on ability alone Bell would be a world class batsman, unfortunately you need to be able to hack the pressure and his temperament too suspect for him to be a consistent run scorer or do the business when his team rely on him.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]

His highest Test score was 199 against SA, although I suppose you could say that he bottled getting a double hundred.

If Test cricket could be played on ability alone Bell would be a world class batsman, unfortunately you need to be able to hack the pressure and his temperament too suspect for him to be a consistent run scorer or do the business when his team rely on him.

Agreed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kiss of death but Swanny is going great guns, 81 off of 71 balls
  • Options
    Anderson gone. ENG 348 - 9.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Kiss of death but Swanny is going great guns, 81 off of 71 balls

Excapt it's Anderson who's gone, for 29.

The weather should hold and Swann should bowl well in the second innings.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]Considering we have both Broad and Swann who aren't far shy of being all rounders, I think it'd be reasonable to drop a batsman for a 5th bowler (preferably one who can bat a bit as well)

Who though? It's really easy to say we should pick "x", but forevery"x" here has to be a "y" left out.

Well I was thinking of Bell when I said it yesterday, and now with Swann justifying my faith in him, I would say it isn't looking a bad shout.

There's precedent as well with the tail bailing us out on several occasions during the Ashes. When Rashid eventually makes it into the team, possibly whilst Swann is still there, we're going to have one hell of a strong lower order.
  • Options
    England all out 66 behind. Swann got 85 or thereabouts.

SA 2-1 Prince B Anderson (played on )
  • Options
    SA 34-3
    (Smith B.Onions 12
  • Options
    Get in there :)
  • Options
    44-3 but it's effectively 106-3 with their first innings lead
  • Options
    4 down now...danger man Kallis gone....caught Cook(on the boundry) bowled Broad.
  • Options
    80/4 at lunch, England's session, but SA lead by 142, should be an interesting end to the game and although SA have the stronger position overall a few quick wickets after lunch could turn that around pretty quickly. The pitch is taking spin and keeping low, but otherwise looks ok if you bat sensibly on it. SA look like they are taking the attitude that if they bat within themselves and keep the scoreboard ticking over that they can put England out the game.