Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup free year

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
If Charlton get promoted this season, the club will not play an FA Cup tie during the whole of 2010. When was the last time Charlton went a full calendar year (Jan-Dec) without playing in the FA Cup?

Comments

• Options
    NO idea but am glad as we never do well and will help us concentrate on the leagues.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Great question.

I make it 1975

Knocked out in 2nd rd in December 1974 and next played in 3rd round of 75/76 season on 3 Jan 1976.

Good omen is we were promoted from level 3 that year.
  • Options
    What about when we got knocked out in the third round by Blackburn a few years back? Must have been 2003. The game was played in December because there was the Euros in the Summer and Sven had pursuaded the FA changed things.

I'll stick my neck out and say 2004.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]What about when we got knocked out in the third round by Blackburn a few years back? Must have been 2003. The game was played in December because there was the Euros in the Summer and Sven had pursuaded the FA changed things.

I'll stick my neck out and say 2004.

Wasn't that league cup? 2005/6 season we lost to Blackburn in the league cup having been 2 up we lost 2- 3

The reached the FA Cup quarter final that year. Ooah will remember it : - )
  • Options
    We played Gillingham in January 2004.
  • Options
    Blackburn knocked us out in 3rd round in 98/99, the year we got relegated from premier league. That was played in January. Pretty sure we played QPR in a December 3rd round tie (Charlie McDonald scored) within the last 8 or 9 years but we won that and so played in the next round in January.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]Blackburn knocked us out in 3rd round in 98/99, the year we got relegated from premier league. That was played in January. Pretty sure we played QPR in a December 3rd round tie (Charlie McDonald scored) within the last 8 or 9 years but we won that and so played in the next round in January.

correct but it was Swindon we beat in Dec 99, then beat QPR in Jan 2000 in the 4th Round (coventry in the 5th and lost to Bolton in the quarters.
  • Options
    Think we played Swindon in December one year in the 3rd round, either it was a world cup year or the time they let Man Utd skip it. It wasn't 2003-4, we got beat at Gillingham that time when Parker had an "injury" and sat in the crowd.