Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wolves team last night

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]in my view the league is finished as a credible entity .

That sums up what I'm saying. Does anyone truly think that it is still credible?

So Jim/TRR that being the case whats to be done? More hand ringing? More tut tutting? More cynical shoulder shrugging? Maybe McCarthy has opened this whole thing up so to that extent he may be the patsy that brings about the change required. They have to act now after what is, not only blatant, but also unrepentent breaking of the rules, and send a message to the likes of Fergie/Wenger/Benitez et al that it will not be tolerated.

Personally, I think they should be made to nominate their first team squad of say 15 at the start of the season and not be able to vary that by more than 1 player for each game to avoid being able to suddenly drop 10 players for particular games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]and send a message to the likes of Fergie/Wenger/Benitez et al that it will not be tolerated.

Actually, Bing ...... if we do get back to the Prem, and we needed the points desperately - I would have no problem with the "Sky 4" putting out a weakened side against us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]in my view the league is finished as a credible entity .

That sums up what I'm saying. Does anyone truly think that it is still credible?

So Jim/TRR that being the case whats to be done? More hand ringing? More tut tutting? More cynical shoulder shrugging? Maybe McCarthy has opened this whole thing up so to that extent he may be the patsy that brings about the change required. They have to act now after what is, not only blatant, but also unrepentent breaking of the rules, and send a message to the likes of Fergie/Wenger/Benitez et al that it will not be tolerated.

Personally, I think they should be made to nominate their first team squad of say 15 at the start of the season and not be able to vary that by more than 1 player for each game to avoid being able to suddenly drop 10 players for particular games.

I know I've said it already but to begin with at least I would implement a similar rule that the JPT has from next season onwards so then the EPL and Football League at least have some kind of rule in place, then they can develop it from there as the current rule is too loose a definition.
  • Options
    mccarthy gets a result for wolves against burnley and wolves move out of the bottom 3
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]mccarthy gets a result for wolves against burnley and wolves move out of the bottom 3

Not for long I hope.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    I know I've said it already but to begin with at least I would implement a similar rule that the JPT has from next season onwards so then the EPL and Football League at least have some kind of rule in place, then they can develop it from there as the current rule is too loose a definition.
    I wondered that, but exactly what is that rule? Is it not as open to abuse as the current premiership rule?
  • Options
    He made 9 changes from the game on Wednesday. What a disgrace
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]mccarthy gets a result for wolves against burnley and wolves move out of the bottom 3

They won at home against Burnley, who have got 1 point in 9 away games. Meanwhile, Fulham were destroying the supposedly immortal Man United. Aside from the other issues, it's not like throwing in the towel has been proven to be a masterstroke.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]

They won at home against Burnley, who have got 1 point in 9 away games. Meanwhile, Fulham were destroying the supposedly immortal Man United. Aside from the other issues, it's not like throwing in the towel has been proven to be a masterstroke.

Wolves have taken 6 points from 9 and lost at Old Trafford. In all likelihood their 1st team would still have lost at Man Utd so i think it's fair to say McCarthy had the last laugh.
  • Options
    How can you put a rule in place. He has a squad of players so why should making 10 changes be a big deal, the Big 4 do it all the time with League Cup/Champions League/Premier League matches. At the end of the season when a team is in a major final they always change their team around to protect players from injury and yet nobody moans when they do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

Wolves have taken 6 points from 9 and lost at Old Trafford. In all likelihood their 1st team would still have lost at Man Utd so i think it's fair to say McCarthy had the last laugh.

Last laugh at who? Genuine sportsmen and women? At Burnley who played a full stength team against Arsenal in mid week?
  • Options
    Its not cheating is it?!...the manager has used his squad. Thats what its there for. Clubs like Wolves have to do everything they can to stay up...IF McCarthey resting players against Man Poo has got a win against Burnley then he's done well.
  • Options

Spot on, hopefully other managers won't see millwall McCarthy's tactic as some masterstoke and it won't become common practice.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]He made 9 changes from the game on Wednesday. What a disgrace
    Made the point himself on Sky. When the interviewer said - "they were all players that you dropped for the Man U game" he made the same point, a bit louder and looked a little mental. Thought he didn't cover himself in glory there. At the end of the day, like a good gambler he played the odds and came out of it with three points and a win over a relegation rival, so I think he'd have been better just being honest.

113406630_3b2f931dbe.jpg?v=0
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Its not cheating is it?!...the manager has used his squad. Thats what its there for. Clubs like Wolves have to do everything they can to stay up...IFMcCarthey resting players against Man Poo has got a win against Burnley then he's done well.

And by also maybe helping Manure win the PL? Not so well done!

You can 'take the man out of Millwall but you can't take Millwall out of the man'. Cheating and proud of it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]

Last laugh at who? Genuine sportsmen and women? At Burnley who played a full stength team against Arsenal in mid week?

The last laugh at every journo/pundit/know-it-all who had a go at him for the team he picked at Man Utd. They were all ready and waiting for Wolves to slip up yesterday, but they didn't, so to me that's 1-0 McCarthy.
    A manager has a squad at his disposal and he can pick who he likes from that squad, end of story.
  • Options
    McCarthy works for Wolves not FIFA, the FA, the Premiership or Man U's rivals. He made a call and it came off. If the FA want to punish him for breaking a rule, then fine, but he's been perfectly selfish and ask Chris says he's stuck it up the pundits who were waiting for it to go wrong.
  • Options
    I hope the Wolves fans who made it to Old Trafford mid-week get some compensation, I'd have been disappointed if I'd gone all that way and seen a reserve team. By all accounts Man U were poor that night despite winning, perhaps if he'd picked a stronger team then they might have won.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]

The last laugh at every journo/pundit/know-it-all who had a go at him for the team he picked at Man Utd. They were all ready and waiting for Wolves to slip up yesterday, but they didn't, so to me that's 1-0 McCarthy.
    A manager has a squad at his disposal and he can pick who he likes from that squad, end of story.

I think you're missed the point. He wasn't criticised because people thought they wouldn't beat Burnley at home (everybody does), it's that he jeopardized the credibility of the league by essentially not bothering with one of the games, and in a league format, handing the opposition a win is unfair on everybody else.

A manager is allowed to pick who he wants to get the result, but the problem comes when that isn't his motivation, and he's just looking to roll over and accept defeat before a ball's even kicked. Mccarthy clearly picked his worst side, as proven by shipping them all back out again this weekend. We don't want to have a situation where managers look ahead to the coming fixtures and earmark which ones are worth bothering with, that's a dangerous precedent indeed.

Yet, even bar all of that and on a purely footballing level, it was hardly a great move. It really is worth emphasising that Burnley have got 1 point from 9 away games. It's not like the players were rested up to achieve a famous win, they disposed of a truly awful away side like every other team has this season.

He got 3 points from the 2 games, but that's the minimum that would be expected anyway, and by giving up on getting anything against a badly creaking Man United side (who don't have a defense and were spanked by the mighty Fulham) he ensured that 3 points was the very most they were going to get.
  • Options
    Agree entirely Sussex. Find it difficult to understand that any football fan can excuse what McCarthy has done (particularly in such a blatant manner).

Sincerely hope it comes back to haunt him.

See he got support from 'onest 'arry who reckons he did something similar at Portsmouth. Says it all really!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was unsurprised to see Wenger was one of the main complainants.

Twas he that started all this. Presumably the rules of the League Cup state that you must only play your youth team :-)
  • Options
    [cite]P[/cite]We don't want to have a situation where managers look ahead to the coming fixtures and earmark which ones are worth bothering with, that's a dangerous precedent indeed. :-)

Speak for yourself. That's what I'd like to see as it would show the Premiership up for what it is. It could then instigate a fairer sharing of TV money.
  • Options
    Mick running out of ideas now by the looks of it :-)

What we could do for a Kevin Phillps!
  • Options
    Fined for fielding a weakened team. Opened a massive can of worms here, because the top clubs never get fined when they field weakened teams. Liverpool away at Fulham and Man Utd at home to West Ham when Tevez scored are 2 that spring to mind.

Fined
  • Options
    Hmmm.

Massive old can of worms indeed. Just wait until Fergie drops Rooney next...
  • Options
    "However, the board ruled that this case could be differentiated from the other matches cited and that disciplinary action was warranted."

In what way??...oh thats right, this wasnt one of the 'top 4'.
  • Options
    I look forward to seeing what action the FA take when Fergie rests his first XI later in the season ahead of a big Champions league semi final match.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I look forward to seeing what action the FA take when Fergie rests his first XI later in the season ahead of a big Champions league semi final match.

I think we all know the answer to that one.
  • Options
    At least we wont ever be fined...our manager doesnt seem to know our best team , let alone the FA! ;-)
  • Options
    Richard Scudamore's response to the fact Man U put out a 'reserve' team against Hull last season:

"You have to be realistic," said Premier League chief executive Scudamore at the time. "United have got a squad, and therefore you can't argue that they deploy the benefit of that squad. Alex Ferguson's going to put a team out that he intends to win that game."