Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

unlocking mobiles

edited December 2009 in Not Sports Related
Can anyone give any advice on the cost of unlocking a mobile? I've been given an ok handset as a 'spare', but it's tied to a different network. Have seen signs in local (Eltham/Lewisham) shops, but never had occasion to need the service before...

Comments

• Had one changed for same reason as you a year or so ago by a stall at woolwich market. Took the bloke about two mins and cost a tenner. Worked fine.
  • edited December 2009
    Shooters hill beat me to it lol
  • used to be able to do them,but catford mews or the one next to millets lewisham is recommended
  • The unlocking places (camberwell/lewisham/catford) tend to ask for £8 but will do it for £5. Can take up to half an hour depending on model etc.
  • give me your phone model number i can do it within the day
  • Thanks Radzinsky - whisper sent.
  • allot of the time, its just a case of entering a special code.

If you google your phone name and model and "unlocking" you'll find out if this is the case.
  • Just wondering if I've missed any reply from Radzinsky on this?
  • edited December 2009
    Been doing this today, after I fell down and cracked my head, helping a neighbour get his car out of his drive........ I got an iphone (with a disccount) ported the number ( took a week) and was left with a nokia. decided to do this as the charger packed up two months ago and although I had a spare battery , thought well it is 2 years old........ Thought I would swap my wifes pay as you go sim for this orange...... no, too easy! had the puc codes and pin codes and passwords, but had to get a pay as you go orange sim from orange. Yes i know the little man in Woolwich and the shop in Welling , but as I am being charged till 2nd Jan persuaded Orange as a back up phone they would still have some custom.....they apparently are sending one. We will see...... then port my wifes number to the new sim card Nokia pay as you go. phew!...... Wether it is worth all the effort time will tell. I am told there is a guy in Oxford street who can 'sort' any phone out...... for a price.
  • Half of the shops in Lewisham high street seem to do it!

My brother brought a cable off of ebay 10 years ago or so and it was quite easy to unlock them.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've just bought a new phone off ebay which was advertised as unlocked, this is true for general use but annoyingly i can't use the internet as it's restricted for Orange only (i'm on 02). Have tried ringing 02 who sent me some settings but it didn't work. Does anyone know if it's possible to get this sorted from one of these unlocking shops?