Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Team of the Decade

With the end of the decade fast approaching and endless ‘Best of’ lists emerging across the media, I thought I’d join in and offer my opinion on the best football XI of the decade:

4-4-2:

Gianlugi Buffon

Cafu
Terry
Ferdinand
A.Cole

C.Ronaldo
Zidane
Seedorf
Giggs

Ronaldinho
Henry

Perhaps my biggest omission is Gerrard, but I went for Seedorf over him as he's won a lot more trophies, on reflection. It was a tough to leave out players like Raul and Puyol as well as Messi and Kaka.

http://socialanorak.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Options
    3 of our back 4, I take it this must be based on club form in domestic leagues?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]3 of our back 4, I take it this must be based on club form in domestic leagues?

Tried do it club level and international but I don't think there has been better defenders than those 3 this decade. Almost went for Puyol ahead of Ferdinand though and perhaps should have.
  • Options
    That's the great thing about these things - nobody will ever agree!
  • Options
    I know! I'm not sure I even agree with my own selection now! What's everybody else's world XI of the decade?
  • Options
    Can't say I agree with that too much.

Cafu, ZZ past their prime at the turn of the / early century. Would go for...

Buffon

Zambrotta
    Nesta
    Cannavaro
    Carlos

Ronaldo
    Makelele
    Gerrard
    Ronaldinho

Henry
    Ruud Van
  • Options
    Ashley Cole?!!!!!

What about Roberto Carlos or Maldini?

I'd have Kaka in there as well.

And how you can have Giggs in there and not Messi is beyond me.
  • Options
    Giggs has played the entire decade, Messi only half of it, same with Kaka. I agree they're better players at the moment but this isn't a team based on 2009, but 2000 onwards. Carlos and Maldini past their best this decade IMHO, don't believe Zidane was as he won the Champions League in 2001 with a fantastic goal, run the show for France at Euro 2000 and 2004 and both World Cups in 2002 and 2006.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Kahn

Cafu
    Cannavaro
    Nesta
    Maldini

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Zidane
    Viera
    Messi

Totti
    Ronaldo

Manager: Fabio Capello
  • Options
    Buffon

Cafu
    Cannavaro
    Ferdinand
    Maldini

Ronaldo
    Zidane
    Gerrard
    Giggs

Henry
    Rooney
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    4-3-3:

Buffon

Cafu
    Puyol
    Cannavaro
    Maldini

Kaka
    Makalele
    Zidane

Ronaldinho
    Henry
    Cristiano Ronaldo

My player of the decade - Ronaldinho, however much he has tailed off and gone back to his old PSG partying show-pony days now, I have never seen one man single-handedly run a team of the likes of Barcelona for so long as he did 2004-06 and probably never will in my lifetime.

five very close to the XI - Xavi, Roberto Carlos, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Gerrard, Nesta