Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stamp Duty - Question

Just heard that stamp duty on houses above £125k comes back in the New Year. We're currently in the process of buying, was expecting to be complete before the new year but it doesn't look like it now.

I assume if we don't have it wrapped up before then, we're going to have to pay it? Also, as it's shared ownership, our part of the house is less than £125k (after taking deposit away). Does this matter or do we still get shafted?

Ta!

Comments

• Options
    best q for your solicitor dealing withthe sale. i would have thought though that u wouldn't pay if the "buying" started before this comes in
  • Options
    I don't know if this helps, but I'm picking up my keys today and have avoided paying Stamp Duty. :-)

Unfortunately I think you'll end up paying it.
  • Options
    this apology for a government will stiff you if they possibly can.
  • Options
    Stamp Duty becomes payable upon completion, so if you're not completing until the New Year expect to pay it.
  • Options
    Houses under £125k..... where /what are these........
  • Options
    Have you exchanged yet?

If they have messed about and it is their fault you have been placed in this position then it might be worth ateempting to negotiate a price reduction for at least some of the stamp duty. If you are going to be caught by it anyway and completion won't happen until the new year why not? You are obviously well down the line with them and buyers are scarce so we are told.

If the place is competitively priced and a comparitive bargain you may not want to rock the boat.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]Just heard that stamp duty on houses above £125k comes back in the New Year. We're currently in the process of buying, was expecting to be complete before the new year but it doesn't look like it now.

I assume if we don't have it wrapped up before then, we're going to have to pay it? Also, as it's shared ownership, our part of the house is less than £125k (after taking deposit away). Does this matter or do we still get shafted?

Ta!

Check this with your solicitor or the tax office as I rarely do shared ownership mortgages.

The last S/O i did was at least 2 years ago and then, without looking at the file, you had two options regarding stamp duty with a share ownership property. 1/ pay stamp duty on the full market value of the property and that's the end of the matter, or 2/ pay it on your share, and then on the extra percentages, as and when you buy a further share.

But, this is a question for your solicitor...................

Oh, and F Blocker is right....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]
    Oh, and F Blocker is right....
    Doesn't happen too often, so I'll revel in this one! :o)
  • Options
    You pay stamp duty on the full price of the property, even if it's shared ownership. I did, anyway, but that was several years back now. I'm just about to pay 3% on the place i'm buying. Ouch...
  • Options
    What are people's house buying experiences like at present , both my sons 21) are hoping to buy somethung for the future, they are both in full time jobs as are there girl friends.

Seems to be 3 options.
    1. part tent/ part buy:never been convinced by these schemes, seems an expensive way to get on the property ladder, although I am probably going on old biased information here.
    2. Buying a small house/flat, I would assume a minimuim of 10 percent, to 25 per cent deposit required depending on status.
    3. Helping out my sons with a deposit: say 5 percent of £200,000 x 2 £20,000.....

That aside of winning the lottery!
    '
    They would both prefer to stay in Bexley local area if possible. Both of my lads are in the building game so can sort out most issues on a house that needs doing up, i.e. plumbing, kitchens, plastering etc, or know someone that can 'assist them'

Personally speaking cannot see there is much change from £180,000 plus myself, and having given up with marketing our own house last year do not think the market is wonderful. In fact I think it is at best to save and review the situation at the end of next year. Cannot see the housing market doing much for the next year except interest rates going up a little. Estate agents talk such crap around here I think they delude themselves, there are houses around here been on the market for over two years! approaching three years, even 1 down my road!