Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs. Swindon (Boxing Day) - Poll, Teams, Views, News

Comments

• Options
    1-0 defeat
  • Options
    Congrats MOG - you can have the official preview thread...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Congrats MOG - you can have the official preview thread...

"Fame at last !!"
    ;=)
  • Options
    Charlton 3-1
  • Options
    Think this will be really tricky. Knowing us a lot of our fans will turn up expecting us to roll them over without realising that they're 6th in the table with games in hand.

All depends which Swindon turn up. The team which beat Southampton and Huddersfield or the team which lost to Hartlepool and lost 3-0 at Bristol Rovers and 5-0 at Gillingham!

Been reading about their new striker, a young kid called Charlie Austin. Ackworth would love him.
    Scored 46 goals in 46 games for Poole Town last season and 18 in 11 games this season before Swindon signed him. He's got 5 goals in 5 starts for them already so he definitely knows where the goal is. He's tall as well so i'm hoping he doesn't give Dailly the runaround like Morison did.
  • Options
    Tricky game this one, last two performances at home have not been to current expectations but we'll take the satisfactory points total. I agree with the above post (chris_from_sidcup), it depends on the Swindon team that turn up. I still feel our front two with good service will be to much for their defence and should ensure a good chance of victory if we don't invite pressure as we have the last two home games.
  • Options
    There could be a few changes for this one - Sam is definitely out with a one match suspension, do you swap Wagstaff to the right, and if so who replaces him on the left - McKenzie, Racon or Shelvey. Will Youga and Richardson be fit, - if Youga is fit, would you play Basy at LM. How bad was Mooney's injury, and if he can't play, do you start McKenzie, Sodje or Shelvey alongside Burton.
  • Options
    1-0
  • Options
    Think we'll draw.
  • Options
    2-0 win

Goals: Bailey, Burton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Charlton Athletic 2-1 Swindon Town Att (16,200)

(Burton) (Bailey) (Austin)

I go with a 4-3-2-1

Starting XI: Elliot; Omozusi, Dailly, S.Sodje, Basey; Wagstaff, Semedo, Holden; Bailey, Shelvey; Burton
    GK - ELLIOT, Robbie
    DR - OMOZUSI, Elliot
    DC - DAILLY, Christian
    DC - SODJE, Sam
    DL - BASEY, Grant
    MR - WAGSTAFF, Scott
    MC - SEMEDO, Jose
    ML - HOLDEN, Luke
    AMC - BAILEY, Nicky
    AMC - SHELVEY, Jonjo
    FC - BURTON, Deon

Subs: Randolph, Llera, Richardson, Racon, Spring, A.Sodje, McKenzie
  • Options
    Would go with:

Elliott
    Richardson Sodje Dailly Basey
    Shelvey Bailey Semedo McKenzie
    Sodje Burton

Subs: Randolph, Omozusi, Llera, Spring, Racon, Wagstaff, McLeod

Parky said Richardson would be fit for Swindon so if he is he comes in, McKenzie on the left.
  • Options
    I would go 4-5-1 for this game. Given Basey didn't have the best of times against Millwall, I think he could do with a bit more help down the left flank. So for this game only, I would switch Bailey back out to the left. Sam is suspended, so we can move Waggy to his favoured position, and bring in Jonjo and Racon (for Sam and Mooney).

Elliot
    Omo Sodje Dailly Basey
    Wagstaff Semedo Racon Bailey
    Shelvey
    Burton

I know Bailey has been excellent in the middle, but I believe this lineup is stronger than using McKenzie/Shelvey/anyone-else on the left.

Narrow Charlton victory.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Parky said Richardson would be fit for Swindon so if he is he comes in, McKenzie on the left.
    he also said youga should be back for millwall ;o)
  • Options
    Elliot
    Omo Sodje Dailly Basey
    Wagstaff Semedo Shelvey Bailey
    Burton McKenzie

Like Dabos said i think Basey needs the protection of Bailey in front of him and with Baileys central position vacant then it's surely time to give Shelvey a game in his favourite spot.
  • Options
    can't believe people want to move Bailey out wide !!.

As little change as poss preferably, however, both full backs come back in (if fit), Waggy over to the right and either Racon or Mackenzie in on the left.

Apko starts up front with Deon as it doesn't look like Mooney will play (lets not forget they've played together plenty of times before at Sheff Wed and all Apko's had really is bit part appearances, think he's earned himself a start to be honest)

We've got enough enforced changes without creating more for ourselves.

stick with 442 - WTF do people want to switch back to a 451...we're playing Swindon FFS !, not Arsenal.
  • Options
    OS says that Richardson is 50-50 to be fit for Swindon.

If it's that close I wouldn't risk it.
  • Options
    I'd either go with Dabos's team (possibly with the Rack on the left and Bailey in the middle, which allows us to get Jonjo on the pitch.

Or (basically Eltham's)

Elliott
    Omo - Sodje - Dailly - Basey
    Waggy - Bailey - Semedo - Racon
    Akpo - Burton

I don't think he'll risk McKenzie from the start due to match fitness or rush Richardson back again when Omo has been doing pretty well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]I'd either go with Dabos's team (possibly with the Rack on the left and Bailey in the middle, which allows us to get Jonjo on the pitch.

Or (basically Eltham's)

Elliott
    Akpo - Burton

I don't think he'll risk McKenzie from the start due to match fitness or rush Richardson back again when Omo has been doing pretty well.

I'd be happy with that. Playing on the right will help Wagstaff out, still got a lot to prove and this is a good opportunity to play him in his best positiion.

Shelvey in for Racon if he still isn't happy playing there. We shouldn't be moving Bailey out wide again.

McKenzie to come on as a sub and get another run out hopefully as well.

Probably not worth risking Richardson, Omozusi I don't think is the total disaster as was suggested after his first couple of games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    Elliott
    Akpo - Burton

That one works for me. And Jonjo on as sub in 2nd half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Elliot
    Omozusi
    Sodje
    Dailly
    Basey
    Shelvey
    Semedo
    Racon
    Bailey
    Burton
    Sodje

Agree this will be tough, they are 6th and have been in good form, also have bad memories of the last time we played Swindon at The Valley.
  • Options
    I only think we should move Bailey out wide because Bailey on the left and Racon in the middle is a better combination than Bailey in the middle and Racon on the left. That's saying more about Racon's ability on the left rather than him being superior to Bailey in the middle.
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]stick with 442 - WTF do people want to switch back to a 451...we're playing Swindon FFS !, not Arsenal.

4-5-1 doesn't have to be a defensive formation. With the injuries/suspensions we have I believe using 4-5-1 allows us to put out a stronger team than if we played 4-4-2 - I would prefer Racon/Shelvey to play than Sodje/McKenzie.
  • Options
    And that 4-5-1 won us 6 on the trot at the start of the season.

Always healthy to mix it up and if we did revert and Jonjo came back in I have no doubt he will be well and truly chomping at the bit.

If that means we go and win the next 6 on the trot while keeping Akpo/Mooney/AN Other out of the picture then that's fine with me.
  • Options
    i'd prefer 4-4-1-1

Elliott
    Omozusi---Dailly
    Sodje----Basey
    Wagstaff--Semedo--Bailey---Racon (or Holden as he is a left mid?)
    Shelvey
    Burton
  • Options
    I hope the wheels aren't about to fall off.

3-0 Swindon I fear.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I hope the wheels aren't about to fall off.

3-0 Swindon I fear.

Aaaargh Len, where are the joys of Chistmas ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I hope the wheels aren't about to fall off.

3-0 Swindon I fear.

Aaaargh Len, where are the joys of Chistmas ;-)

Leave Len alone. He has been consistently pessimistic all season and I think its that as much as the team that is keeping us at the top.
  • Options
    Not going to be easy - but then when do Charlton ever make it easy for us fans. However going for a 2-0 win with JJ coming in as Sam is suspended, Akpo for Mooney and Racon back on the bench.
    Happy Christmas all
  • Options
    Will miss this one as I'll be in Norfolk with the family.

1-1 I reckon. They are obviously well organised & the loss of Sam will curtail some of our attacking options. (Yes, I know he went missing against Millwall after the booking)

4-4-2, take the game to them & none of this sitting back & defending our own penalty box boll%x.

Let's hope Millwall do us a favour at Naarwich.

COYR.
  • Options
    will be a cracking game, swindon arent a bad side and are doing well....last time i checked anyway

ill go for 3-2 charlton, not going to predict the team but as long as we win ill be happy!