Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our Squad!

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
With the injuries, suspensions and people going away on loan our squad is becoming dangerously small. If Richardson isn't fit for Saturday then who are going to be the two players to come into the squad to replace Mooney and Sam, Racon and.......?. If Mcleod goes, Sodje is recalled and Mooney's injury takes longer than expected the situation will be even worse.

Comments

• Options
    There's Dickson to return...

And by the end of January there'll be a few Prem teams wanting to loan out players.
  • Options
    I shouldn't worry ...... if people go out, it makes room for new people to come in.

It'll be alright on the night.

;o)
  • Options
    As far as the Swindon match is concerned ....... I reckon Parky won't risk Richardson or Youga, so Omo and Pacy Basey keep their places.

Waggy will come across to the right wing, to cover Sam.
    Akpo will start alongside Burton - and McKenzie will come in with 30 mins left (or the other way round).

Could be we'll see Holden on the bench, to come on for the last 25 mins,and as winger cover for Waggy.

And then there's Jonjo, Racon, Spring who should all be desperate for a run out.
  • Options
    Holden is definetly worth a place on the bench, Wagstaff was not at his best against Millwall and if that happens again we may need another option on the left. McKenzie may not be fit enough to play 90mins, Shelvey did not play well on the left v Bristol Rovers and Racon apprarantly does not want to play there.

Personally I would go with Akpo and Burton upfront, Wagstaff on the right, Bailey on left and save Richardson till he is closer to 100%. Would like to see Racon start in centre midfield
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Holden is definetly worth a place on the bench, Wagstaff was not at his best against Millwall and if that happens again we may need another option on the left. McKenzie may not be fit enough to play 90mins, Shelvey did not play well on the left v Bristol Rovers and Racon apprarantly does not want to play there.

Personally I would go with Akpo and Burton upfront, Wagstaff on the right, Bailey on left and save Richardson till he is closer to 100%. Would like to see Racon start in centre midfield

why oh why are so many people intent on moving Bailey back out on the left ???????, he's been our best player by a mile since he went back in the middle...sorry, but I just don't get it.
  • Options
    Plenty of options still. Racon, Spring and Shelvey could all do a job for one match on either flank (and if any of them don't like it, well they'll just have to lump it). We still have 2 wingers in Wagstaff and Holden + McKenzie who will all be okay for the odd match even if we'd rather not rely on them all the time. Mckenzie, and Akpo available to partner Burton and even Mcleod has done okay in a couple of games. The key here is that we have versatility in the squad as much as we have numbers and despite the injuries we'll still have a team of players out that would get into a lot of other sides in this division.

We can't carry too many long term injuries but we should be able to cope with the few knocks and suspensions we have at the moment.

I do worry about our defensive frailties down the flanks though. Omo and Basey are both okay on a good day, but not sure how much protection, say, Waggy and Holden/McKenzie will offer them. Swindon are a decent outfit, so I wouldn't be totally against going a little defensive for this match and moving Bailey out left to help Basey and maybe put Spring on the right to protect Omo a bit and put Shelvey or Racon back into midfield to try and give us bit more creativity through the middle of the park. Would certainly make us more compact but would probably make us a bit narrow. Maybe a bit too negative for a home match but a 1-0 win would do me nicely and with the right subs on the bench we could easily change it around if it isn't working..
  • Options
    I think Bailey is more effective in the centre but imo with him on the left, he'll offer more protection to Basey and will allow Racon to start. It is not a long term option but whilst Sam is suspended, this could be the best option for the team. Of course when we play Brentford on Monday,Bailey should definetly start in middle but I think the loss of Sam coupled with Wagstaffs struggle against Millwall, means we maybe need more of a reshuffle in midfield than just sawpping Sam for someone.
  • Options
    Sam should be back for Brentford.

It's only a 1 game suspension.
  • Options
    Hope Sam plays as well against Brentford as he did when we played them at The Valley, reckon their left back may still be having some nightmares. On Sat though, Wagstaff may need to step it up a bit more, whether on the right or left