Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christmas games with Charlton

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Having eaten too much turkey and having consumed too much alcohol on Christmas Day there is no better way to get over a hang over than attending a football match. Come to that your mother would like to get a bit of peace and quiet and would send you out asking to take your father with you. That was the case for me in 1969. When public transport would run a service over the Christmas period. Now, my father was not a sporting person, but having been born within the sound of The Valley he came along. A 1-1 draw with Swindon Town was what he witnessed on his 2nd and last visit to The Valley that day. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the game tomorrow, but will raise a glass to my father and everyone else attending.
Of course this is not the only I have seen over Christmas. A 3-2 win at Chelsea, Killer Hales scoring 2 goals, a 1-1 draw at Selhurst Park; Steve White scoring and Alan Simonson playing. And a 4-0 defeat at a bitterly cold Portsmouth.

Anybody else having memories of Christmas games, I would love to hear your story.

Comments

• Options
    Remember the 3-2 @ Chelski well.
    2-0 up, back to 2-2, but, then we won !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Remember the 3-2 @ Chelski well.

was that not 4-2?? or am i getting it mixed up
  • Options
    love boxing day games, its always a second religion.... after footy of course!

remember going southampton away, for an exciting 0-0nil draw lol think was when in premiership?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]

I dont remember the game myself JB, but I think there's a clue in "Killer Hales score two goals" it was a different game to the one you are thinking of ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]

I dont remember the game myself JB, but I think there's a clue in "Killer Hales score two goals" it was a different game to the one you are thinking of ;)

haha missed that yeah before my time oops :-) thought was talking about the more recent one with the scotty parker show!
  • Options
    Drove up from Andover with a car full of the Addicted, got done by a speed camera going thru Central London and then watched a dire match where the Charlton players just didn't turn up - W.H.U.

That was a crap day
  • Options
    0-0 home draw with Southend Boxing day 72/73,not much too say really,average season for us finishing mid table.
  • Options
    Southend a few times - not sure, but the famous Kelvin Morton game might have been one of them.

My all time favourite Boxing Day game was a non-Charlton one. When was a nipper it was a family thing that we entertained the relatives on xmas day (at one point having 15 round the table !) and went to theirs on boxing day. My Uncle and cousins support Chelski and one Boxing day in the early 70's Chelsea were playing Fulham at Stamford Bridge and so we all went there. This was the time Fulham had Marsh & Best playing for them and so the game was a sell-out and as a 7 yr old I didn't get to see much of the game having a bunch of 6 footers in front of me and so all I got to see were glimpsies of the centre circle - from then on I've advocated all seater stadiums !!
  • Options
    Of course this is not the only I have seen over Christmas. A 3-2 win at Chelsea, Killer Hales scoring 2 goals, a 1-1 draw at Selhurst Park; Steve White scoring and Alan Simonson playing. And a 4-0 defeat at a bitterly cold Portsmouth.

Derek Hales made a right fool of Ron "Chopper" Harris that day. Chopper was a Chelsea legend but an unbelievably average player. I remember seeing Peter Kitchen waltz around the Chelsea defence and nutmeg Harris two yards out before scoring a winner for the O's. You don't see goals like that anymore - the risk and consequences of fluffing it is far too great.