Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Taking stock.

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
We're now half way through the season, and our record is the equivalent of two points per game, absolutely on target for a good season. By that reckoning Phil Parkinson has done the job he should be doing. In terms of management Parkinson gets an overall 7.5 from me....there have been occasions where he didn't seem to have prepared the team correctly, Millwall springs to mind, and especially Northwich. However his performance today has easily been his finest hour...the ref did nothing wrong, we were let down by the players, but he handled the whole situation brilliantly, there have been other occasions where he has done well, dropping Shelvey at the time, and putting Bailey in the middle.
We now go to Brentford and Walsall, as if we are starting a new season, anything more than two points will be a good achievement. We now have a chance, the trials and tribulations so far this season has created a decent ethic, and a 'culture' for the season. We must not get in players who want an easy doss and cruise at Charlton, but we must freshen at least two positions during January, and we must recognize that our competitors have no more resources than us.
Half term mark for all is about 7.5.

Comments

• Options
    shelvey is back with a bang ,hope he gets another chance
  • Options
    Good stuff Seth.

And not a goat in sight ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]Good stuff Seth.

And not a goat in sight ;-)

Ha ha ....... all brilliantly masterminded from behind the scenes by the Geordie Smiler !

;o)
  • Options
    Im going to give him 8.5, Seth because he had to work through an absolute shambles of a summer, not even knowing if he'd have a job.

Agree with you about his decision making today. he rescued a point we had no right to expect. Still breathless from it.
  • Options
    Prague....one particular result, the Northwich one, make it impossible for me to give more than 7.5 overall, but today Parkinsons response to events was absolutely fantastic, and revealed a side to him I didn't think was there, albeit in circumstances unlikely to be repeated very often, but quite telling regarding Parkinsons abilities.
    Danny Wilson has been around the block a few times, but his response to events today was poor.
  • Options
    im giving a strong 8 ........

I think hes done very very well.... breathed life back in the club.. got a smile back on our faces and all of that when we approached the season with a wince, and scared to even open our eyes...... (alot, ALOT of people forget this!)
  • Options
    I'm with mascot88 on this, he deserves an 8, not just because of what has been done on the field, but also because he had a tough summer as Pragueaddick points out.

Furthermore, very few believed in him, but he still had the fortitude to take it through.

Let's hope he gets a 10 at the end of the season.
  • Options
    8.5 from me. Apart from the cups - which, let's be honest, don't really matter - then he hasn't done a lot wrong.

We're not looking relegation in the face - as the more cheerful amongst us had predicted - and have been in the automatic promotion positions all season so far. Of course it's May that really counts, but as we're not in May yet he deserves credit where it's due. Long may it continue.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]im giving a strong 8 ........

I think hes done very very well.... breathed life back in the club.. got a smile back on our faces and all of that when we approached the season with a wince, and scared to even open our eyes...... (alot, ALOT of people forget this!)

Agree 100%
  • Options
    Id go for an 8 also

we are second in the league so cant complain there, however did go away colchester which we deservedly got a hiding and seemed like he ran out of ideas, northwich no comment and recently again could do no wrong, although after going ahead against 10 men millwall i did think the tactics were not very good and clearly didnt work, but he has rectified himself today. agreed by far his finest hour, i sed to mate sitting next to me we have to be very disciplined to get anything out of it and players need to stand of and feel he had to wait as long as he did for us to try come back against swindon as we could of gone to pieces had it been sooner and no doubt rescued the game for us

hopefully will be a 10 for the end of the season and we need to maybe up the points from 2 pts per game as i think norwich are going to run us close but we can do it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You have to put the Northwich game into context - he prioritised the team for MK Dons game then used what he could for the 2 cup games. Yes I was at Northwich which was aweful but Carlisle a week earlier was worse as we threw away 3 points, we were never going to win the cup.

I give Parkey 8
  • Options
    7.5 with potential to make the high 8's. Carlisle was shite, we were fortunate at Stockport, buy Baker and we're on our way.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: theeenorth[/cite]7.5 with potential to make the high 8's. Carlisle was shite, we were fortunate at Stockport, buy Baker and we're on our way.
    Who's Baker?

Good 8 for me, some poor games but it will happen to every club at some point. I had a feeling he'd do a good job and it's great to see how he's improved team spirit, attitude and as a bonus, getting us playing decent football. In the end if we're promoted no one will care about the cup games. Can completely understand why he played the teams he did and rested certain players, but of course that's no excuse for losing to Northwich.

Just hope the transfer window goes well for us, and we don't have any serious injuries. Those things could change our season so much.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: theeenorth[/cite]7.5 with potential to make the high 8's. Carlisle was shite, we were fortunate at Stockport, buy Baker and we're on our way.
    Who's Baker?

Good 8 for me, some poor games but it will happen to every club at some point. I had a feeling he'd do a good job and it's great to see how he's improved team spirit, attitude and as a bonus, getting us playing decent football. In the end if we're promoted no one will care about the cup games. Can completely understand why he played the teams he did and rested certain players, but of course that's no excuse for losing to Northwich.

Just hope the transfer window goes well for us, and we don't have any serious injuries. Those things could change our season so much.

I presume its Stanley. Played a blinder against the Zulus and looks good in red.
  • Options
    7.5 for Parky from me.

Played some good football at the start of the season.
    Changed the formation and got some good loans in to turn round a bad spell.
    Will be interesting to see what he does in the transfer window, despite some initial misgivings most of his perm/loan signings have done a decent job for us.
  • Options
    begining to enjoy my whinges on here, we gain nothing till may!!, why are we giving PP marks so far.means nothing.....why is it that people think that 2 points from the next 2 games is promotion material.......get real!!..........waiting fro the opposition to slip up and have a poor game is not the answer, the answer is our own points total not anybody elses!! we are second in the league through luck.....no more no less as the rest of the season will prove...lets get some facts here...we are , and will be , until administration a mediocre league one side..then we will be history, like so many other clubs in the same boat at the moment...last 2 games let in 6 goals and had 2 players sent off of which we cannot afford..........great discipline from a promotion side......oh lets compare that to our promotion chasing pack....mmmm, me thinks too many people believe in father christmas...36 years a charlton fan, been there , seen it, done it all, .....bah humbug.......look forward to my post brentford thoughts.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: denmanra[/cite]why is it that people think that 2 points from the next 2 games is promotion material.......get real!!
    Erm don't they mean we are averaging 2 points per game, which is promotion form?
    [cite]Posted By: denmanra[/cite]we are second in the league through luck
    Rubbish. If Parky had done a poor job we'd be mid table at best. Long way to go yes, but so far he has done a good job.
    [cite]Posted By: denmanra[/cite]until administration a mediocre league one side
    You want us to go into administration?
  • Options
    The thread title is 'taking stock', and it is supposed to be a pause for breath and reflection half way through the season den man.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: denmanra[/cite]begining to enjoy my whinges on here, we gain nothing till may!!, why are we giving PP marks so far.means nothing.....why is it that people think that 2 points from the next 2 games is promotion material.......get real!!..........waiting fro the opposition to slip up and have a poor game is not the answer, the answer is our own points total not anybody elses!! we are second in the league through luck.....no more no less as the rest of the season will prove...lets get some facts here...we are , and will be , until administration a mediocre league one side..then we will be history, like so many other clubs in the same boat at the moment...last 2 games let in 6 goals and had 2 players sent off of which we cannot afford..........great discipline from a promotion side......oh lets compare that to our promotion chasing pack....mmmm, me thinks too many people believe in father christmas...36 years a charlton fan, been there , seen it, done it all, .....bah humbug.......look forward to my post brentford thoughts.

Bellend!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: denmanra[/cite].lets get some facts here...we are , and will be , until administration a mediocre league one side..then we will be history

Facts?
    [cite] denmanra [/cite].....look forward to my post brentford thoughts.

Do you really?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    denmanro, are you a Charlton fan? if so stop fkin complaining and look forward to the good times, which may well be coming this season. If every person at this club put their head down like yours, we wouldn't be anywhere.... Chin up man.
  • Options
    for me he currently gets a 7.25.

In the transfer window if only we could sign Lee Barnard and a left sided midfielder then I'd be well chuffed.
  • Options
    Would love omeone like Barnard, maybe someone Lambert-esque/Holt-esque, maybe Forster.. alongside Burton every match that sort of partnerships can win the league. ;-)
  • Options
    and if Leeds could sell Beckford and Norwich sell Hoolihan it would help too !!
  • Options
    Hooloohan is more to Norwich than Beckford i to Leeds, just some people can't see it. Leeds can ease games without Beckford as they have goals all over midfield, Hooloohan could easily fit into a top Championship side. Huge impact to Norwich..

Sell him please Narwich.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: denmanra[/cite]begining to enjoy my whinges on here, we gain nothing till may!!, why are we giving PP marks so far.means nothing.....why is it that people think that 2 points from the next 2 games is promotion material.......get real!!..........waiting fro the opposition to slip up and have a poor game is not the answer, the answer is our own points total not anybody elses!! we are second in the league through luck.....no more no less as the rest of the season will prove...lets get some facts here...we are , and will be , until administration a mediocre league one side..then we will be history, like so many other clubs in the same boat at the moment...last 2 games let in 6 goals and had 2 players sent off of which we cannot afford..........great discipline from a promotion side......oh lets compare that to our promotion chasing pack....mmmm, me thinks too many people believe in father christmas...36 years a charlton fan, been there , seen it, done it all, .....bah humbug.......look forward to my post brentford thoughts.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz